2021/8/2: Game Boy: Operation C

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
goldenband

Re: 2021/8/2: Game Boy: Operation C

Postby goldenband » August 3rd, 2021, 10:20 pm

I beat this last year. Here's what I wrote about it then:

"A higher class of game than I'm accustomed to playing, and it shows, with some thoughtful tweaks for the portable format: getting autofire from the start is a welcome touch. But there are a few annoyances: why can a turret's hitbox be offscreen/inactive, yet the turret itself is still able to shoot at me? Why are the enemies that spawn from pods invincible until they complete their animation? And, in the overhead stages, why does the game make it so difficult to shoot diagonally while standing still?"

I gave it a B+, which is pretty close to the Critic's grade. Overall I liked it and was glad to play it. If the elements I mentioned had been fixed, I'd definitely give it an A- or even A.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 3rd, 2021, 11:29 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Were there other Contra games for the Game Boy too?

Contra - Alien Wars, a conversion of Contra III by Factor 5
There were also rereleases of both of these games on GBC in Konami multi-game carts in Japan n Europe, not sure how different these play

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 4th, 2021, 3:06 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Were there other Contra games for the Game Boy too?

Contra III's a technical showpiece for what the Gameboy hardware can do, but the player graphics are a bit rough. For once, Probotector is the original, and Contra the sprite hack.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 4th, 2021, 11:39 am

I remember being a little kid at my grandparents boring house for an entire week, and all I had was a Game Boy and this game. I was EASILY able to stretch this one game out for the whole week, while my sisters rotted away playing Rummicub with my grandma. If my memory serves me, I eventually realized I could place the corner of a heavy book on the Fire button and rack up lives during meals.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 4th, 2021, 11:50 am

And yes, Contra:Alien Wars is so amazing that I assumed it was some kind of ROM hack. I wonder if Nintendo knew what the Gameboy was capable of before they saw that game...

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 5th, 2021, 7:34 pm

The Alien Wars is fun to play. Especially considering how well they translated a SNES game to a GameBoy. It's missing the motorcycle stage but to me that's a plus. Definitely a good romp all around.

Return to “Review Feedback”