2021/8/10: NES: RoadBlasters, Super Spike V'Ball

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/8/10: NES: RoadBlasters, Super Spike V'Ball

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Check out my latest set of NES reviews for RoadBlasters (nes) and Super Spike V'Ball (20-year re-review).

For RoadBlasters, it occurred to me that this game was probably set at a date that's already passed, making it eligible for a "back to the future" icon.

I don't know what that icon would look like, but I think it would be cool to have. Let me know if you have any ideas.

mbd36

Re: 2021/8/10: NES: RoadBlasters, Super Spike V'Ball

Postby mbd36 » August 10th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Too easy and too long is an apt description of RoadBlasters. It doesn't get that challenging until late in the game. It's playable though.

At least you can skip levels. I never want to play through the entire thing again.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 10th, 2021, 11:49 pm

Dammit, Critic!! Just when I think I've been posting a bit too much on here lately, you go and rope me back in with a review of one of my favorite NES titles! Heh. It's a good problem to have 8-)

I love Super Spike, and as your review noted, it makes a great first impression for new players. I've roped so many friends into playing it over the years, and everyone who's touched it has had a total blast. There is some nuance to the controls, but it's still an easy game to pick up and play.

Personally, I like it better than Kings of the Beach, but they're both great games. They're also so affordable, anyone could manage to add both to their NES libraries for just a few bucks. In this day and age of skyrocketing retro prices, it's nice to know that there's still some cheap fun to be had on the NES.

I really dig the goofy vibes in Super Spike, from the huge "KABOOM!" letters whenever you pull off a spike to the addition of a team made up of Double Dragon's Billy and Jimmy Lee. And something about playing beach volleyball in Chicago has always made me laugh.

And interesting suggestion, about adding a BTTF icon. How about a newspaper page, with half the text faded away? Or a basic DeLorean pixel art image, maybe taken from one of the NES titles? I also like the simpler idea of the number "85" written in a retro red LED font, like the numbers would appear on the Flux Capacitor or an old digital alarm clock.

EDIT: The wife suggests the title card from the beginning of Escape From New York, where the screen reads, "1997 - NOW." Yeah, that didn't age well :lol:

I'm actually pretty curious to see what we all come up with, here...
Last edited by Matchstick on August 11th, 2021, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 11th, 2021, 12:15 am

"88" rather than 85 might be more fitting, since that's the magical speed. Or simply use the flux capacitor.

I also gotta say, that Roadblasters review is awfully positive for a "D" grade! I had to go back up and recheck your grade after reading it all! At any rate, you convinced me to try both games.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 11th, 2021, 5:38 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:.
For RoadBlasters, it occurred to me that this game was probably set at a date that's already passed, making it eligible for a "back to the future" icon.

I don't know what that icon would look like, but I think it would be cool to have. Let me know if you have any ideas.

How about a future Biff sprite wearing the hottest fashions of 2015?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 11th, 2021, 11:21 am

Breaker wrote:"88" rather than 85 might be more fitting

Agreed. In context, I guess 85 doesn't make as much sense unless you slap a "19" in front of it. But 88 MPH, yeah, that's one we'd all get. Good call, Breaker!

I like TPG's Biff sprites, too. Might mesh well with the current Arthur Award for Extreme Difficulty.

This idea came to mind while I was falling asleep last night -

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2021, 11:25 am

Good ideas guys but I think they're a little subtle for general audiences.

Maybe a flying car? We were supposed to have one of them years ago. Still waiting!

Could be a fun icon.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 11th, 2021, 7:24 pm

Is there a way you can get an image of a time machine from the original film? The 1960s original version, rod Taylor. It's fairly simple looking and I think you could incorporate that.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 11th, 2021, 8:26 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Good ideas guys but I think they're a little subtle for general audiences.

Maybe a flying car? We were supposed to have one of them years ago. Still waiting!

Could be a fun icon.

Something like this?

That way, people don't confuse it with Back to the Future or some kind of Blade Runner style cyberpunk.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 11th, 2021, 10:15 pm

Jetsons.jpg
Jetsons.jpg (82.66 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Return to “Review Feedback”