2021/9/13: Nintendo Switch: The Mummy Demastered

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/9/13: Nintendo Switch: The Mummy Demastered

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 13th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Check it out - my first Halloween review of the season! I really enjoyed this one.
Let's hear your thoughts.

newmodelarmy

Re: 2021/9/13: Nintendo Switch: The Mummy Demastered

Postby newmodelarmy » September 13th, 2021, 8:50 pm

Good review although I totally disagree. I bought and tried to play this game and found everything about it aggravating between the respawning enemies, constant hazards and having to go back to kill your zombie to find your gear. Not very fun in my opinion. I would rate it a D+ at best. Great production values but terrible execution in my opinion.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 14th, 2021, 1:16 am

Glad you enjoyed the game, Critic. Quite the detailed review, too!

Myself, I am so burnt out on Metroid-style games right now. But I will add this one to "the list." It took me almost two years - and three separate attempts - to get through Bloodstained recently, but I had a blast with it once it finally got its claws into me. I find that the older I get, the more I have to be in just the right mood for games like this. A shame, as it was my favorite sort of genre once upon a time. So it goes.

I will say I am probably most interested in the music. I posted about this in your "Now Playing" thread, but while I've never been the biggest fan of games made by WayForward, I find their soundtracks are generally well-done. For me, great music can really carry a game, and turn an OK title into a memorable one.

I agree with the above post that I find the whole "find your dead body" mechanic a huge turn-off. I didn't care for it in Wizardry in the 80s. I didn't care for it in Diablo in the 90s. It won't wreck the game for me, but I'm glad I know about it before I go in.

Part of me wonders how this game would have turned out without the license. It seems like it could stand just fine on its own. But, hey, when a major movie studio wants to spend millions of dollars of a film's marketing budget to create a video game tie-in, who am I to judge the developers for taking the contract? I'd jump at an opportunity like that in a heartbeat!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 14th, 2021, 8:28 am

Nice review; was not aware this was a licensed game. ...it is a licensed game, right? :?

I'm on a Metroidvania kick right now, and this has been on my Switch for a good while... As soon as I finish Chasm (FINALLY), I'll take a look at this next.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 15th, 2021, 8:49 am

Finished Chasm last night, booted up Mummy Demastered and played until the first checkpoing; this IS a licensed game, yet doesn't feel like one thus far (which could be good...). Not a fan of how still the movement feels compared to most Metroidvania games (see Chasm, Axion Verge 1 or 2, etc.), but willing to give it a fair try.

noah98

Postby noah98 » September 15th, 2021, 5:57 pm

I'm glad you finally reviewed this! Love the Halloween reviews every year. Please do this one next:

https://www.vgnysoft.com/product-page/w ... of-dracula

It's like Contra mixed with Castlevania. I think it's a lot of fun, and a physical release!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 15th, 2021, 9:57 pm

Thanks for the tip noah! I think I will!

Return to “Review Feedback”