2021/10/28: Dreamcast: Castlevania Resurrection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
MSR1701

Re: 2021/10/28: Dreamcast: Castlevania Resurrection

Postby MSR1701 » November 3rd, 2021, 7:48 am

Matchstick wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Worse yet, Sophia Belmont, who was to be the heroine of this game as she was for Castlevania Legends, was purged from the lore by the Powers That Be, and doesn't even rate a cameo appearance.

Great point, MSR! I was kinda waiting for someone else to bring this up...

I feel like one of the few people that actually enjoyed Castlevania Legends on the Game Boy. It was such a great time to be a Castlevania fan, as, after taking a few years off, the series came back with a variety of new releases on the PS1 (Symphony of the Night) N64 (Castlevania [64]) and Game Boy (Legends). Say what you will about the quality (or lack thereof) of the latter two titles, but at that point in time, it was so exciting to be a Castlevania player, with so many different options to choose from.

Spoilers for a 25-year-old game to follow:

I believe Sonia Belmont was taken out of the Castlevania canon as it was implied in Legends' ending that she, along with Alucard, were the parents of Trevor Belmont, the hero from Castlevania III. Did Konami just not like the idea of the Belmont bloodline running through Alucard, and thereby Dracula? Personally, I thought that was awesome that Dracula was doomed to be forever defeated by his own flesh-and-blood. But apparently the brass at Konami didn't feel the same way.

I also think some at Konami Japan scoffed at the first established Belmont being a woman, or that the first game in the series timeline didn't revolve around a more-established Belmont like Trevor or Simon. Whatever the reasons, Sonia Belmont is no more, as far as the series lore is concerned. A shame, if you ask me.

I concur.

I need to find time to revisit Legends; the GB Vania games are actually very good when compared against similar genre titles on the GB, and it was a pity that the first fully main female character in a Castlevania game was scrubbed from their lore (Maria and Sypha were not the "main" character (Maria had to be unlocked (sadly))).

Return to “Review Feedback”