2021/11/2: Genesis: Ghostbusters, Warlock

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/11/2: Genesis: Ghostbusters, Warlock

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 2nd, 2021, 5:54 pm

You could have guess a Genesis re-review of Warlock was coming right behind the new SNES reviews. Same grade.

Also re-reviewed Ghostbusters, which went from a C+ to D!

Thoughts?

Den

Re: 2021/11/2: Genesis: Ghostbusters, Warlock

Postby Den » November 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm

Exception to the start-button rule: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 2nd, 2021, 6:32 pm

I have some memories playing the Genesis Ghostbusters, but in all fairness, I think my mind has gotten more critical. I share the frustration of not having Winston, but maybe they couldn't figure out what would have been a fair reason to include him. At least some of the bosses are imaginative such as the freaky snowman, the plant that resembles Audrey II from "Little Shop of Horrors", and the final boss Janna who's pretty creepy with a body like an elephant's skull with eyes, throwing a beating heart at you! Another beef is that it's over too quickly, unlike Contra which at least elaborates on some things, the bombs are for clearing out minor enemies.

Hint: The only way to beat the headless ghost boss is to damage the hungry ghost in the head, keep doing it and then the hungry ghost will split body and head.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 2nd, 2021, 11:32 pm

It's funny - I never remember Warlock being on the Genesis, but the screenshot posted in the review looks so familiar, I could swear that I've played it before. I know I rented the SNES version once (I was duped by its gorgeous graphics in screen shots, as I'm sure many were) but I didn't think much of it. I actually think I might prefer the more cartoony, colorful look of the Genesis game, only because it looks more like a videogame than the more true-to-life approach given to the SNES version.

But, with both games getting a D-, I doubt I'll be tracking either one down again :lol:

The lower score for Ghostbusters comes as a bit of a surprise. Unlike Warlock, I *do* actually remember playing this one at a neighbor's house, as they had rented it shortly after receiving a Genesis for X-mas. At the time, I thought it was pretty boss! But I think this memory was based mostly on the fact that I owned the awful NES version of the game, and seeing the Genesis version in action just blew the NES one out of the water by comparison.

Thinking back to playing it, I don't really remember many of the enemies besides Slimer and Mr. Stay-Puft, and I think I was just happy to play a sort of action-shooter, as I was already a big fan of the Metroid and Mega Man series, and was always looking for more games like those. It's funny seeing several Metroid titles recommended in the "If you like..." section, and seeing Metroid get a shout-out in the review. Maybe old-man-me would like this the way that little-kid-me did, for different reasons? Then again, seeing that review score, maybe not!

Growing up, and for some time after, I felt like the Genesis version of Ghostbusters was always hailed as "the good one," and the only classic Ghostbusters title worth tracking down. As someone who had a good time with the NES and Game Boy versions of Ghostbusters II, I felt like I would always get some lip from my gamer friends when I would try to defend any older Ghostbusters title aside from the Genesis one. So, in that regard, seeing this one get downgraded to a D makes me feel a little vindicated.

Den wrote:Exception to the start-button rule: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Great observation, Den! I do agree with the review in that most of the time the Start button comes into play - especially for Genesis titles - it's bad news. Using Start to block in Mortal Kombat got old fast, but the worst was in Street Fighter II Champion Edition, as the Start button was used to switch the three buttons on the controller between punches and kicks. Meaning, by default, ABC was used for the three punch buttons, but to use kicks, you had to press Start, which would switch ABC to the kick buttons, instead.

In the heat of battle, this constant switching was positively worthless. Thankfully, the problem could be alleviated by using the six-button pad. I wonder if Warlock controlled differently when using the six-button controller over the standard three-button one? Several other games took advantage of this (Maximum Carnage comes to mind, which allowed a button for dedicated web-swinging) and I wouldn't be surprised if Warlock offered an alternate setup. Not sure it would do much to help the grade, though...

GeoX

Postby GeoX » November 3rd, 2021, 7:28 am

I’ve never understood the macrocephaly fetish designers have about giving characters giant heads. Is it supposed to be cute?

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » November 3rd, 2021, 3:12 pm

GeoX wrote:I’ve never understood the macrocephaly fetish designers have about giving characters giant heads. Is it supposed to be cute?

I always just assumed it was this weird fad in the 90s, like with the giant heads you see in sports games like NBA Jam for example. I never understood why it was such a popular thing either tbh.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 3rd, 2021, 9:37 pm

SegaRiddle1990 wrote:
GeoX wrote:I’ve never understood the macrocephaly fetish designers have about giving characters giant heads. Is it supposed to be cute?

I always just assumed it was this weird fad in the 90s, like with the giant heads you see in sports games like NBA Jam for example. I never understood why it was such a popular thing either tbh.

I guess I always thought it was a "cheat" to be able to give more detail to characters. Though, they seem to frequently include details that don't actually make the sprite look like the characters they are supposedly trying to emulate...

I could be way wrong - it could just be a weird fetish that some programmer had.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 4th, 2021, 7:34 am

Nice to see the Warlock games reviewed in detail; aside from old magazine reviews, these are usually trashed for their first level and no details of anything beyond.

Shiznute

Postby Shiznute » November 6th, 2021, 4:29 pm

How come none of these reviews reference the fact that these games are based on the film series that started in 1989?

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » November 6th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Shiznute wrote:How come none of these reviews reference the fact that these games are based on the film series that started in 1989?

good movie too

Return to “Review Feedback”