2021/11/7: Nintendo Switch: Cruis'n Blast

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
travistouchdown

Re: 2021/11/7: Nintendo Switch: Cruis'n Blast

Postby travistouchdown » November 11th, 2021, 10:41 am

I wonder if i would still like this kind of game. It's been so long and so many good racers have come out in the meantime, need for speed, burnout, etc.

One thing is for sure, i could go for a port of Hydro Thunder for Switch, the original arcade game AND the excellent Xbox Live Arcade game!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Williams Arcade Classics for the Playstation One contains an interview with Eugene Jarvis and the guy is hilarious. Check it out.

Is this the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_sHdjaJpg

It's pure gold.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2021, 9:36 pm

Yeah that's the one. I love his enthusiasm and passion. I think it's reflected in his games too!

I wish they would release this one next, although the fact it's a light gun game would be problematic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park_Arcade

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 11th, 2021, 11:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah that's the one. I love his enthusiasm and passion. I think it's reflected in his games too!

I wish they would release this one next, although the fact it's a light gun game would be problematic.

I just played that in the same arcade I played Blast in, and it's pretty fun. I could see the light gun functionality working FINE with the joycons honestly.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 12th, 2021, 8:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah that's the one. I love his enthusiasm and passion. I think it's reflected in his games too!

Sindens are the new hotness in PC light guns. Frankly, they could offer them on consoles. They don't require IR sensors. A USB port is all that's required. If you go rumble you'll need an additional power source.

The best at the moment but require 4 IR sensors is the Gun4ir by Raymond Dai.

They are Aimtracks to the next level. Aimtracks have been available for PCs for about 10 years now and work well enough. It's what I have on my Mame arcade.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 15th, 2021, 12:16 pm

My copy arrived on Saturday and I took her for a spin last night.

Is it weird the Hummer is nearly maxed out in its stats and seems like the go to vehicle for all of the tracks?

Other than that I'm enjoying so far. The eye candy is off the chart.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 21st, 2021, 9:04 am

This game has been a bit of a private let down for me.

I've had it since the day this review went up. It's given me and my five kids a great before-bed Mario Kart and Towerfall alternative. My kids think the theme song is hilarious and ham it up lip-syncing along between tracks.

I haven't said this to them out loud because I don't want to be a kill-joy, but I'm REALLY annoyed with the game. To the point that I wonder if I need to change a setting or difficulty level to get rid of this stupid issue, because it seems impossible that this is the case.

The issue is not just the STRONG rubber band effect that has made every race a four-way-photo-finish at the end, even when my six year old plays, but the fact that there seems to be nothing in the game that actually slows you down. Come to think of it, there may not BE a rubber band effect in the game, just the fact that the narrow tracks have barriers that keep everyone safe and on the road, and these barriers don't seem to slow you down at all, no matter how much you grind against them. I've actually quietly sat there, secretly doing nothing but holding down the gas button for several races, doing no worse than if I were carefully trying to steer myself around corners and obstacles, like my kids are frantically doing around me. This game is almost the perfect ILLUSION of a game! You do just as good playing it as you do NOT playing it!

This game reminds me a LOT of the great Excite Truck, and it makes me wish they would re-release Excite Truck on the Switch, because it's what Cruisin Blast should have been, but sadly fails to be. What a bummer.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 21st, 2021, 9:17 am

Paul Campbell wrote:This game has been a bit of a private let down for me.

I've had it since the day this review went up. It's given me and my five kids a great before-bed Mario Kart and Towerfall alternative. My kids think the theme song is hilarious and ham it up lip-syncing along between tracks.

I haven't said this to them out loud because I don't want to be a kill-joy, but I'm REALLY annoyed with the game. To the point that I wonder if I need to change a setting or difficulty level to get rid of this stupid issue, because it seems impossible that this is the case.

The issue is not just the STRONG rubber band effect that has made every race a four-way-photo-finish at the end, but the fact that there seems to be nothing in the game that actually slows you down. Come to think of it, there may not BE a rubber band effect in the game, just the fact that the narrow tracks have barriers that keep everyone safe and on the road, and these barriers don't seem to slow you down at all, no matter how much you grind against them. I've actually quietly sat there, secretly doing nothing but holding down the gas button for several races, doing no worse than if I were frantically trying to steer myself around corners and obstacles like my kids. This game is almost the perfect ILLUSION of a game! You do just as good playing it as you do NOT playing it!

This game reminds me a LOT of the great Excite Truck, and it makes me wish they would re-release Excite Truck on the Switch, because it's what Cruisin Blast should have been, but sadly fails to be. What a bummer.

Have you tried collecting the keys? Maybe, your kids have already snagged all of them but there's a small bit of challenge there in order to unlock other vehicles. It doesn't really solve the crux of your issue but it may help. I'll be honest here I must suck at the game because I'm not getting 1st in all of the sets to unlock more and need to go back and work through more. Are you playing it on easy or normal?

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 21st, 2021, 9:26 am

Pretty sure we're playing on normal, but I don't think there is a difficulty selection in multilayer. But now I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere that will alleviate this, because it seems too obvious an issue...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2021, 9:57 am

I remember my friend Scott did the same thing in one of the SSX games, except I don't think he even held down a button.

Seems to me, at least in single-player mode, the idea is to efficiently use your boosts. If you play your cards right, you're boosting through most of the race. So you're saying you didn't even use boosts and you were still there at the end? Maybe you're right about this game and the rest of us have been duped!

To be honest, I never got too deep into the multiplayer. Most of the fun I had was in systematically unlocking new cars and tracks in the single-player mode.

Return to “Review Feedback”