2021/11/17: Commodore 64: Super Sunday, Sid Meier's Pirates!

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Matchstick

Re: 2021/11/17: Commodore 64: Super Sunday, Sid Meier's Pirates!

Postby Matchstick » November 21st, 2021, 5:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Lost interest in the NFL a few years back

You're not missing much :P

Myself, I take comfort in older football videogames and watching classic games on YouTube. I haven't bought Madden in 15+ years, but I still regularly play Madden '92 and Madden 64 (which I would love to see reviewed, BTW) as well as Tecmo Super Bowl and the original NFL Blitz.

I did watch a matchup of the Bears and Raiders from 1984 recently. What a slugfest! In that era, Soldier Field had Astroturf over a concrete foundation. When players hit the ground, you could often see them bounce. It was a bit unsettling to see the Raiders QBs in the game get sacked left and right, with their helmets bouncing off the ground like a basketball.

One of the commentators kept referring to the obviously-concussed players as, "having a bit whiplash," before going right back on the field. Yeah, sure, buddy. That's one aspect of the game that I'm glad is left in the past.

Once Dan Marino, Randall Cunningham, and John Elway retired, the league never really held the same interest for me. But classic games - with their classic rosters - live on forever. Gotta love "QB Eagles" in Tecmo Bowl!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 21st, 2021, 5:36 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:If the Critic was going for the historic version of his current team I would have recommended the 1954 Cleveland Browns. :o

Nice one! Yep, it took the Browns actually LEAVING Cleveland to finally get back into the Champions circle. Go Art Modell!

Meanwhile, the Baltimore 'Browns' have won 2 Super Bowl rings and the historic Cleveland Browns still are 0-fer. Although I will admit that I greatly enjoy the Progressive Insurance commercials where Baker Mayfield and his wife are living at the stadium. Funny stuff!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 21st, 2021, 5:42 pm

matmico399 wrote:Sid Meier's Pirates was my favorite game on the c64. When I purchased it I think I was in my freshman year of college about 2 years after it came out. This is the game I obsessed over for about a year. It was pretty groundbreaking for a title in the late 80s. When you talk about the governor's daughters varying In beauty, that is a bit of an understatement. From what I remember you had some pretty young ladies and a lot of hags, LOL. I still have memories of this game but I don't have the 64 version. I have it now on the Genesis. Sadly I do not have the original map anymore but I remember it being great. The Genesis version is fun and has far better graphics, but it can never outdo my memories of the 64 version.

Not only is the original a fantastic game on - as far as I know - all systems, the reboot done by Firaxis in 2005 is great if you haven't given it a shot. It retains all the whimsical charm of the original with updated graphics and game play... including updated representations of the Governor's Daughters. Hawt!

I recommend any fan of the original give this version a shot as well. At $10 on Steam (currently), it's worth every penny.

Sid Meier is a freakin' genius.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 21st, 2021, 7:42 pm

C64_Critic wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:I always wanted to play Super Sunday and to find out that it is a joy. It is a Joy to know. Superb review. Loved the Wife Comment. So it begs the question, who won? Who needs King Kong vs Godzilla? We have the Critic vs the C Critic. Come on tell all, who won at Super Sunday.
Great review for Pirates.

I'm certain the Critic is correct, after a slow start on both our parts (from what I remember we BOTH missed our first field goal attempts), he was able to pull out the victory in the end. I just couldn't get Franco going! Of course I mistakenly made the Steelers the Visiting team, when in reality the Critic was the one hanging out at MY pad for a change. There may have to be a rematch...

Also, the game against the Redskins was me vs. the CPU, and I won that game handily. I believe when I played the Critic he was playing as the 1968 Baltimore Colts.

You definitely need a rematch. This is the super league of Gridiron. I do love AF but of late I am like everyone else. The game is different. As well as the football games being horrible. Madden which used to be a classic feels unplayable. I used to play Mike Ditka football on Genesis, Joe Montana on Genesis and Madden on Genesis. Then Troy Aikman NFL Football on the Jag. Since its become a sim, its no fun.
I am trying Cyberball next weekend! I am gonna become the Cyberball champ.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » November 23rd, 2021, 9:20 am

C64_Critic wrote:
Luigi & Peach wrote:If the Critic was going for the historic version of his current team I would have recommended the 1954 Cleveland Browns. :o

Nice one! Yep, it took the Browns actually LEAVING Cleveland to finally get back into the Champions circle. Go Art Modell!

Meanwhile, the Baltimore 'Browns' have won 2 Super Bowl rings and the historic Cleveland Browns still are 0-fer. Although I will admit that I greatly enjoy the Progressive Insurance commercials where Baker Mayfield and his wife are living at the stadium. Funny stuff!

Too soon, C64, too soon. :)

I enjoy the commercials too. I wish his quality of play was as good as his commercials right now, but I give him the benefit of the doubt for his injuries (he's practically the walking wounded).

On a side note, I enjoyed the DOS version of Pirates! my family had growing up, but I stunk at figuring out how to keep the crew from leaving at port. The cannon battles were always a blast though (see what I did there?).

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » February 19th, 2024, 11:41 am

I've had Super Bowl Sunday for many years and just finally got around to delving into it. This was an excellent (and right-on) review. As my goal today is to try to add something positive to the internet please permit me to mention a couple of relevant items regarding this disk......

1. My disk has the 20 Great Super Bowl Teams on side one and the 1984 Season on side two. Not having the original instruction manual nor being able to find a PDF of it, I had no idea how to select any of the 1984 teams to play. It took a CSI-type of effort to actually locate a partial picture of the instructions on an eBay auction for this game. After loading side one you flip the disk over and push the "UP" arrow (next to the RESTORE key) to access the '84 teams. In a cool feature all 6 divisions are listed with their corresponding 1984 records. Apparently Avalon Hill released several more updated seasons as I did see a disk with the 1987 season featured on eBay.

2. It should be noted that you have the ability to select quarter length (5, 10 and 15 minutes). I find 5 minutes to be just right.

3. Best feature of all - after the game is over push the D key and your player stats are shown!!!! I just happened to luck out finding this by pushing every single key on the keyboard after a game. While nothing else occurs when the game ends (no congratulations type of message) it was satisfying to discover this.

Just hoping this helps anyone down the road that opts to give Super Sunday a whirl. While Micro League Baseball remains the most enjoyable sports-sim on the Commodore this football game is worth spending some time with.
Attachments
disk.jpg
disk.jpg (153.69 KiB) Viewed 249 times
stats.jpg
stats.jpg (126.7 KiB) Viewed 249 times

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » February 20th, 2024, 7:01 pm

Teddybear wrote:I've had Super Bowl Sunday for many years and just finally got around to delving into it. This was an excellent (and right-on) review. As my goal today is to try to add something positive to the internet please permit me to mention a couple of relevant items regarding this disk......

1. My disk has the 20 Great Super Bowl Teams on side one and the 1984 Season on side two. Not having the original instruction manual nor being able to find a PDF of it, I had no idea how to select any of the 1984 teams to play. It took a CSI-type of effort to actually locate a partial picture of the instructions on an eBay auction for this game. After loading side one you flip the disk over and push the "UP" arrow (next to the RESTORE key) to access the '84 teams. In a cool feature all 6 divisions are listed with their corresponding 1984 records. Apparently Avalon Hill released several more updated seasons as I did see a disk with the 1987 season featured on eBay.

2. It should be noted that you have the ability to select quarter length (5, 10 and 15 minutes). I find 5 minutes to be just right.

3. Best feature of all - after the game is over push the D key and your player stats are shown!!!! I just happened to luck out finding this by pushing every single key on the keyboard after a game. While nothing else occurs when the game ends (no congratulations type of message) it was satisfying to discover this.

Just hoping this helps anyone down the road that opts to give Super Sunday a whirl. While Micro League Baseball remains the most enjoyable sports-sim on the Commodore this football game is worth spending some time with.

Interesting, I'm not sure I even noticed that an additional 20 teams were on the B side, nor do I think I bothered looking at player stats after the game. If it weren't now completely seasonally incorrect, I might fire it up and play a game or two just to dig in to these additional features. As it stands, I'll have to try and remember any of this come next September!

Return to “Review Feedback”