2021/12/15: Nintendo Switch: Metroid Dread

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Voor

Re: 2021/12/15: Nintendo Switch: Metroid Dread

Postby Voor » December 17th, 2021, 2:14 pm

travistouchdown wrote:Nice review, and everything in it leads me to confirm my pass on this game. This type of game has just lost it's appeal to me; seems like a total chore. To me, if you need a guide the entire time, that's poor level design. If you can figure things out yourself, and work through most things without google/youtube, that's a well designed game.

I'm 85+ hours into Skyrim on Switch right now and i've used youtube only a handful of times, and i probably didn't need to. That's GREAT design.

Maybe, but people have different skill levels too. I had to use a YouTube video on a LOT of the shrines of breath of the Wild. I think that game is very well designed, but I SUCK at 3D puzzles. So there you go. Lol

I passed on dread because I don’t have time for a metroidvania right now, but I did play the demo and liked the control/movement/etc a whole lot. I was disappointed with Samus returns on 3DS, but I’ll try this one day.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 17th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Voor wrote:I was disappointed with Samus returns on 3DS, but I’ll try this one day.

You're probably not going to like this one either then.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 17th, 2021, 3:24 pm

travistouchdown wrote:To me, if you need a guide the entire time, that's poor level design.

I did not need a guide until the game was almost beat - and only to pick up the few items I missed out on - pretty much like all Metroidvania's and RPG's with collectables. Many people need a guide to find all the Shrines in Breath of the Wild or, say, to pick up all the Skulltula's in Ocarina of Time, or all the Moons in Mario Odyssey. This is par for the course in these sort of games with 100% completion a target for enthusiasts. If you do not care to 100% the game with all item pickups, Dread is no more a challenge to get around the world than other games in the Vania/RPG genre. The longest I was stuck in Dread may have been 15 minutes or so and that was only due to my initial exploration of the area limited by running away from an Emmi. Once the Emmi is defeated you will always find an exit to the next logical section of the game. This is another minor criticism I have with Metroid Dread - the world felt a little too linear to me in that it was mostly obvious where to go next. No magical moments like being stuck in Norfair and "Aha, super missile by the elevator" which takes you to a meet up with Kraid and the Varia suit for traversing Norfair. Unlike Super Metroid though, backtracking through the world to 100% is somewhat more of a chore since the game closes some simple routes off to keep it more linear.

Return to “Review Feedback”