2021/12/28: Playstation 4: Panzer Dragoon Remake, Ground Zero Texas Nuclear Edition

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/12/28: Playstation 4: Panzer Dragoon Remake, Ground Zero Texas Nuclear Edition

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 28th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Here are two Limited Run titles that didn't quite live up to their potential.
Still, if you're a fan of the original games you may want to take a look.

Let's hear your thoughts!

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2021/12/28: Playstation 4: Panzer Dragoon Remake, Ground Zero Texas Nuclear Edition

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 29th, 2021, 1:21 am

I had never heard of GZTNE before you reviewed it on Mega CD. After seeing that review I had no interest in the game. I would question why you bought an update of a duff game? It is a game that you did not think much of at the time. Also, it lacked the light gun support it needed which is not impossible due to flat screen tvs.
I played the Xbox PDO recently and can tell you that it is not much fun. The effects are great but as with a lot of these games no autofire means weary button pushing. This goes back to the arcade game Buck Rodgers planet of zoom,with the space ship following a predetermined path. Or even Astron belt. Years before Star wars Arcade, Astron belt showed the way of on the rails shooters. Looked amazing for the time but now looks appalling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astron_Belt It is uncredidble!!! Yep a pile of ****. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fug7ayAemnk&ab_channel=MangoPictures

and the MSX port. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uBoCtm-ZiI&ab_channel=sionspapa

Retro STrife

Re: 2021/12/28: Playstation 4: Panzer Dragoon Remake, Ground Zero Texas Nuclear Edition

Postby Retro STrife » December 30th, 2021, 2:59 am

Thanks for this Panzer Dragoon review; it got my pumped enough to try the Remake myself last night.

Some quick background: I got the original Panzer Dragoon with my Saturn set off ebay in like 2000. I tried to like it, but I had absolutely no clue what I was doing and could never grasp the game. Then I skipped PD II Zwei, despite owning it. But then Panzer Dragoon Saga was a life-changer.. the best RPG I've ever played and maybe my all-time favorite game. So I've always had love for the series, even if it's thanks to PDS alone. Flash forward to 2021, and I finally played Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox, which I've had lying around forever. The game was excellent. And FINALLY, I understood the gameplay concepts of Panzer Dragoon.

Your review convinced me to finally try PD Remake, which I also had lying around. I played the first 3 levels last night, and I agree 100% with your review. Even though I knew the gameplay concepts now, it felt incredibly simplistic compared to PD Orta - a game released nearly 20 years earlier. If nothing else, you'd think they could blend the improvements of Orta into Remake. I also hated that any death sends you back to the beginning of the level, even if you die fighting the level boss. Couldn't we leave that back in 1995? And weirdly enough, while the cinematics are technically better, I think I prefer the artistic quality of the 1995 scenes over these ones. Those scenes were incredible in 1995 (and 7+ minutes was unheard of for an opening scene), and the Saturn scenes still hold up today. Yet, the Remake scenes looked so bland and boring. Anyway, great review and spot on.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 30th, 2021, 11:24 am

Thanks for the detailed feedback Retro. I'm always wondering if my reviews are off, or if they hit the mark. Back in the day people would really "let me have it" for a bad review. Now I feel like people are a lot more polite, and don't say anything instead.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » December 31st, 2021, 8:07 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback Retro. I'm always wondering if my reviews are off, or if they hit the mark. Back in the day people would really "let me have it" for a bad review. Now I feel like people are a lot more polite, and don't say anything instead.

If this is the one spot on the internet where people are lot more polite than they were back in the day, congratulations to you, sir, on creating the perfect forum!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 1st, 2022, 12:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback Retro. I'm always wondering if my reviews are off, or if they hit the mark. Back in the day people would really "let me have it" for a bad review. Now I feel like people are a lot more polite, and don't say anything instead.

Well, for the record, I’ll never agree just to agree. If I thought you were off, I’ll share my alternate take and reasons why. If it’s a game I’ve also played (especially recently), I always chime in whether agree or disagree. Overall, I think you’re right more often than not.. I mean, we probably wouldn’t be here if that wasn’t true, right?

But I think you’re right that we don’t bash the reviews we don’t agree with. That’s just a reflection of the community here. And that most are long-time readers and you’ve gained respect with years of solid reviews. When you have an off review of a game enough of us have played, I think we’re happy to tell you. Hellblade on PS4 is a good recent example, where a few wondered if it got a fair shake.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » January 5th, 2022, 11:08 am

Not to self: trash the critics next review i find disagreeable. :lol:

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 5th, 2022, 6:44 pm

Looks like Ground Zero Texas is quite popular.

Return to “Review Feedback”