2022/1/5: Jaguar: Blue Lightning (CD)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2022/1/5: Jaguar: Blue Lightning (CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 8th, 2022, 10:17 am

GeoX wrote:Boy, I was/am an Atari fanboy but damn they always like to package old crap with their new consoles.
Didn’t anybody see the monster sales Coleco had by packaging a huge and current hit.
They were just too greedy and stupid to do it.

Yeah I think this was the basic point I was trying to get across. It would be like the Atari 7800 (1986) having Pac-Man as its launch title.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 8th, 2022, 10:40 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
GeoX wrote:Boy, I was/am an Atari fanboy but damn they always like to package old crap with their new consoles.
Didn’t anybody see the monster sales Coleco had by packaging a huge and current hit.

Yeah I think this was the basic point I was trying to get across. It would be like the Atari 7800 (1986) having Pac-Man as its launch title.

At the time of the Jag launching, Atari has some...interesting behind the scenes stories. One of my faves was when they had a group of developers n programmers in a meeting and a list of Atari properties was being read off, when one certain programmer's hand flew up when Tempest was read off...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 9th, 2022, 9:03 am

This game is simply awesome. Thanks for the review that shows your view. I was so blown away the first time I played it. Right, at the right time, Afterburner and G loc were the number 1 titles at the time. Hence Atari making the smart decision to introduce this classic to their range. Simply the finest Jet attack aircraft on the Jaguar on the Jag CD.

Also and this is a strange fact, but it is also the Critic's number 1 Jag CD aircraft sim!

I LUV old Atari.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 9th, 2022, 11:11 am

Come to think of it, the Jag CD add-on, when boiled down, was a way for Atari to issue games at a fraction of the cost (specifically, the cost of producing a cartridge game versus the cost of making a CD disc for use). Otherwise, games like Blue Lightning would have been a cart game alongside Tever McFur.

Then again, Jaguar Carts seemed to be very powerful in what they could store, given Tempest 2000.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » January 16th, 2022, 6:10 am

MSR1701 wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:

At the time of the Jag launching, Atari has some...interesting behind the scenes stories. One of my faves was when they had a group of developers n programmers in a meeting and a list of Atari properties was being read off, when one certain programmer's hand flew up when Tempest was read off...

I think read that story but I don’t remember much about it. I think it was about the time of the execs hot tub parties and doing lines of coke upstairs. The “Miami Vice” days!
What always killed me was how the guy who programmed that piece of junk “Pac Man” got over a million in royalties. Life ain’t fair!

GeoX

Postby GeoX » January 16th, 2022, 6:42 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:

Yes was reading your reviews thatI learned of their retread pack ins.
Taken all together it’s hilariously bag…

Atari Pack Ins

2600… Combat
5200… Super Breakout!!!
7800… Pole Position 2 (US)
7800… Asteroids (Europe)
XEGS.. Missile Command
XEGS.. Flight Sim 2 (Packaged with keyboard)
Jaguar… Cybermorph (New game, flawed but at least not a repackaged oldie)

That company had so much promise but they just frittered it away.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2022, 8:46 am

MSR1701 wrote:Come to think of it, the Jag CD add-on, when boiled down, was a way for Atari to issue games at a fraction of the cost (specifically, the cost of producing a cartridge game versus the cost of making a CD disc for use). Otherwise, games like Blue Lightning would have been a cart game alongside Tever McFur.

Then again, Jaguar Carts seemed to be very powerful in what they could store, given Tempest 2000.

Good observation MSR. Companies always marketed CD systems as if YOU were getting add these added benefits, when in fact THEY were going to enjoy the true benefits in terms of costs.

Is it really much different from the industry's push to have everything online??

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2022, 8:47 am

GeoX wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:

Atari Pack Ins

2600… Combat
5200… Super Breakout!!!
7800… Asteroids (Europe)
XEGS.. Missile Command

Wow Geo. This really puts things in perspective.

My nephews were asking the other day what happened to Atari. I should have shown them this list!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 16th, 2022, 5:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
GeoX wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:

Atari Pack Ins

2600… Combat
5200… Super Breakout!!!
7800… Asteroids (Europe)
XEGS.. Missile Command

Wow Geo. This really puts things in perspective.

My nephews were asking the other day what happened to Atari. I should have shown them this list!

Atari 2600 Combat and Pacman. Two awesome games. I loved Combat you could just play it and play it. Superb game.
Pacman. Awesome. I was not until much later on, I learned that people did not think the game was much good. It is still my favourite version of pacman. I loved it.
never had 5200 never released here.
7800 Asteroids. It is a superlative version of the classic. It is a shame they did not bring it out for the Jag as well. Look at Rebooteroids for what it could be.
Xges. Missle command, flight simulator and bug hunt I think you will find were there three games.
Jag The Truly AWESOME Cybermorph. I was so blown away by it. One of the best games on the system.

It is all a matter of perspective. I played these systems when the games came out for them. They were wonderful.

The difference now is most systems do not come with any games. Not even a demo disc but you get to play the F2P games like Fornight

strat

Postby strat » January 16th, 2022, 9:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Good observation MSR. Companies always marketed CD systems as if YOU were getting add these added benefits, when in fact THEY were going to enjoy the true benefits in terms of costs.

That extra money from the cheaper CDs went to FMV studios (a completely wild, but educated, guess) so you see, it was totally worth paying the normal retail price.

Return to “Review Feedback”