2022/1/5: Jaguar: Blue Lightning (CD)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2022/1/5: Jaguar: Blue Lightning (CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 5th, 2022, 9:24 pm

Check out my updated review of Blue Lightning for the Jag!

Despite the tepid review, I had to raise the grade from D- to D+. I mean, you have to grade it against the Jag library.

Robotrek

Re: 2022/1/5: Jaguar: Blue Lightning (CD)

Postby Robotrek » January 5th, 2022, 10:15 pm

I find it confusing you mention some confusion over the game being copyrighted 1989, but don't make any mention of the Lynx game whatsoever, despite the fact you just reviewed it earlier last year.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » January 5th, 2022, 11:31 pm

You'd think atari would want to pack in a game that better showcases the hardware's might and not make the new machine look like it's on par with the Sega CD.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 6th, 2022, 8:40 am

Maybe, you're trying a bit too hard to make a joke on the 1989 reference? I'm sure you know there's an Atari Lynx game of the same name released in 1989. Going to your Atari Lynx page you can see the title and year clear as day.

See...we still give constructive feedback from time to time. Fun review.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 6th, 2022, 8:48 am

I need to dig thru my library of Retro Gamer magazines... there was an article on the development of the Lynx Blue Lightning and a small box-out on the...interesting development of the Jag CD version.

From what I recall, like most of the Jag's library, the CD launch lineup was rushed (most of the cause can be placed on Atari's (very) bad Financial position at the time), and this game was a clear example of why the press and gamer mindset sees the Jag CD as a joke.

Sad thing is, the Jaguar was a monster of a system in the right hands, the problem was that it's insane design (multiple cores and machine-code needs; as one developer put it, a British Machine with a Texan Hat) and horrid launch (severe chip shortages caused cancellations of over 70% of pre-orders for the launch for systems going to retailers) killed any chance the system realistically had.

Which is a shame, as the Jag had a lot of potential; heck, the version of Doom for the Jag would be the basis for YEARS after it was released (and where else can you find a system where a copy of Wolfenstein 3D was ported over a weekend "just for fun?")

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 6th, 2022, 7:15 pm

I have never owned a jaguar or the Jaguar CD. And it has never bothered me. I clicked on the YouTube link and watched the game. It actually looks pretty fun to me and I read the review which was good. It does look like a second rate Afterburner, but it still looks fun. I don't know if I will ever buy a Jaguar but I really would like to try this.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » January 7th, 2022, 10:22 am

This game is basically a afterburner clone. But it's still fun. I think a D+ is overly harsh. If C is average, i'd give it a C+ or even a B-. It's a pretty fun game and the objectives give it a little more depth than afterburner in a lot of ways. Also the cheesy rock soundtrack is pretty fun. It looks a lot better in motion than the screenshots would have you think it would.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 7th, 2022, 10:26 am

travistouchdown wrote:This game is basically a afterburner clone. But it's still fun. I think a D+ is overly harsh. If C is average, i'd give it a C+ or even a B-. It's a pretty fun game and the objectives give it a little more depth than afterburner in a lot of ways. Also the cheesy rock soundtrack is pretty fun. It looks a lot better in motion than the screenshots would have you think it would.

I need to load up my Evercade with the Lynx cart n play some Blue Lightning...

Also, here's hoping the Evercade somehow gets Jaguar carts, would love to play Blue Lightning CD n Cybermorph (seeing as how the Jag is expensive as heck...)

djc

Postby djc » January 8th, 2022, 1:21 am

The Jaguar did have a few (very few) actual good games that showcased the hardware well. I'd say 90% of the library was underwhelming though.

The Jag CD was just a hot mess.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » January 8th, 2022, 3:36 am

Boy, I was/am an Atari fanboy but damn they always like to package old crap with their new consoles.
Didn’t anybody see the monster sales Coleco had by packaging a huge and current hit.
They were just too greedy and stupid to do it.

Return to “Review Feedback”