2022/7/8: Nintendo Switch: House of the Dead Remake, The

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2022/7/8: Nintendo Switch: House of the Dead Remake, The

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 8th, 2022, 4:59 pm

This game is bittersweet. At its core, it's solid, but the game wrapped around the game is faulty.

Thoughts?

Zack Burner

Re: 2022/7/8: Nintendo Switch: House of the Dead Remake, The

Postby Zack Burner » July 8th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Well I guess to each their own, I'd give it a B grade. I agree the control is faulty but if you're doing Lite I guess it's the best that can be done, luckily you can control how responsive it is in the options mode. I love the special weapons, my favorites are the crossbow and the grenade launcher which I was able to obtain. I have yet to try Horde mode, and I will amp the difficulty up once I get good. Perhaps they'll address the problems in the remake of the 2nd game which I hear is in the works.....

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 8th, 2022, 7:54 pm

Like I posted in your other thread about this, there already is a "cursor reset" function. Point the right joycon towards the center of the screen and depress the analog stick to re-center/recalibrate your aim. It sounds like it also can be remapped to something like the X button, if you hate depressing the stick for an additional button (I sure do).

You'll find the same functionality in any Switch game that uses the joycon to control an on-screen crosshair. Skyward Sword HD, Super Mario Galaxy (via 3D All-Stars), and World of Goo are all games that I've personally encountered that do this.

There's no way around it with the Switch. The technology in the controller isn't accurate enough to perfectly keep up with your movements (And I suspect is a long ways away from being able to do so). So without a Wii style sensor bar for it to constantly see where your tv roughly is located, it causes your aim to relatively quickly drift.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 10th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Tried out Horde mode, played it on easy and got the good ending! Just one word of advice, make sure you have at least 3 special weapons with you! I recommend having the crossbow, the pitter, and the grenade launcher for best results. The last one can be your best friend in big groups, use the pitter when you have to rescue scientists, and use the crossbow on a few of the bosses. The grenade launcher is also your best friend on The Magician, and if you're good enough he won't get too many hits on you, in fact your shots will neutralize his shots, do damage, or both at the same time!

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » July 11th, 2022, 1:53 pm

At the end of the day; the Switch Gyro controls are NOT good light gun controls. I tried (started a thread on Atariage compiling light gun games for switch) and they mostly suck for that very reason...it's the hardware. The Wiimote was much better and a true light gun, and luckily there are tons of good/fun light gun games on the Wii/Wii U. Shame they couldn't keep that fun alive on the Switch but i guess every gen can't make it work. Personally i'd rather pay for a seperate light gun peripheral the DOES work if they are going to go through the trouble of making these kind of games.

Return to “Review Feedback”