Console Reviews

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
pacman000

Console Reviews

Postby pacman000 » July 12th, 2022, 8:18 pm

https://videogamecritic.com/mobile/systems.htm

Noticed the CDi was listed as cartridge based. Now, I know early versions needed a RAM cart to display full screen video, but want the actual media on cds?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Console Reviews

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 12th, 2022, 9:00 pm

That was a mistake! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 13th, 2022, 8:58 am

You can also note that the memory chip of the CD-i tends to malfunction over time and is almost impossible to replace/repair; main issue is that it isn't possible to save games anymore (some people also say some games don't work anymore, but I never experienced that). So, if you have a CD-i game that "doesn't save" it probably isn't the fault of the game; it is a malfunctioning memory chip to blame.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 14th, 2022, 8:07 am

^ this happened to my CD-i so I can confirm it’s a common issue. I can’t save my games. Fixing it requires dangerous surgery on an IC chip to get at the battery inside.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 14th, 2022, 8:47 pm

Why would anyone want a CDI? I owned one for about 6 months and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I just don't find anything redeeming about this console.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2022, 9:08 pm

I haven't run into the memory issue, but frankly I probably only turn the system on once or twice a year. It has a few decent titles but I have to admit it's not something I'm recommend.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 14th, 2022, 11:12 pm

matmico399 wrote:Why would anyone want a CDI? I owned one for about 6 months and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I just don't find anything redeeming about this console.

Love the CD-i! Is it a good console for retro gaming? Not at all.. Any of the mainstream 90s consoles have much better libraries, of course. But there’s just something charming about its suckiness that I love. Have had mine for about 20 years.

I got interested because of the Zelda and Mario games on CD-i, just for their novelty (although Zelda’s Adventure is better than I expected). But looking past that, the CD-i actually has a gigantic library— way bigger than 3DO, Jaguar, and most other failed systems. Hundreds of games. Sure, most of them are total garbage, but there are some hidden gems in there and tons of exclusives not released on any other system. I honestly believe the CD-i’s library is like a foreign planet- no one has truly fully explored it. For whatever crazy reason, I’ve always appreciated the CD-i for the crazy mess that it is.

Return to “Review Feedback”