2022/7/25: 3DO: Flying Nightmares, Panzer General

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
jon

Re: 2022/7/25: 3DO: Flying Nightmares, Panzer General

Postby jon » August 1st, 2022, 9:43 am

I don't care what anyone says. I stand by my assertion that the 3do and Jaguar had the best 3d graphics of the generation. How, I don't know. They came out before the PS1. Maybe it's because of the lower framerates. But as someone who's primarily into 2d games, I could care less about framerates. If it sacrifices graphics, then I'm out. And I never looked at a 3do game and thought, oh that frame rate isn't lightning fast. Who cares. It's about the graphics primarily for me. While I never had a 3do it certainly is something I could see getting. That Starfighter game looks amazing. Just like the Jaguar, they just needed another generation of games. Heck, even just another year.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » August 1st, 2022, 12:58 pm

jon wrote:I don't care what anyone says. I stand by my assertion that the 3do and Jaguar had the best 3d graphics of the generation. How, I don't know. They came out before the PS1. Maybe it's because of the lower framerates. But as someone who's primarily into 2d games, I could care less about framerates. If it sacrifices graphics, then I'm out. And I never looked at a 3do game and thought, oh that frame rate isn't lightning fast. Who cares. It's about the graphics primarily for me. While I never had a 3do it certainly is something I could see getting. That Starfighter game looks amazing. Just like the Jaguar, they just needed another generation of games. Heck, even just another year.

My dude, framerate literally affects gameplay/playability. You'd honestly sacrifice a smooth gameplay experience for pretty visuals? I mean, that's cool, but why not just watch a movie at that point? I personally don't care about framerate as much as most people since I grew up during this generation filled with low framerate games, but framerate is still more important than visuals overall.

And your 2D comment makes no sense. 60FPS has been the standard for 2D games since at least the NES era. Literally 8 bit games from the '80s had a smoother framerate than the average 3DO or Jaguar game, and even many games today. Your comment would make more sense if 2D games were known for low framerate, but literally the opposite is true.

Jon, I love ya man, but this post is absurd even by your standards.

jon

Postby jon » August 2nd, 2022, 2:52 pm

For some reason I saw this prototype of a racing game for a system called M2 I believe, which was going to be the 3do’s follow up system. It’s called IMSA racing. The game looks fantastic. It’s such a shame that by the late 90’s it was so hard for other companies to release consoles. Although I think the M2 was a Trip Hawkins project, and as the CEO of EA I’m sure he’s not too upset at what happened. He’s got to be worth a zillion dollars.

But man It’s just so bad what happened. This was I believe a game made in 1996-1997. But at that point everyone was getting pushed out of the marketplace.

Return to “Review Feedback”