2022/8/17: Game Boy Color: Mortal Kombat 4, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2022/8/17: Game Boy Color: Mortal Kombat 4, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 17th, 2022, 7:16 pm

Here are two Game Boy Color reviews I've had sitting around for a few months. Let me know what you think.

Zack Burner

Re: 2022/8/17: Game Boy Color: Mortal Kombat 4, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX

Postby Zack Burner » August 17th, 2022, 7:27 pm

I'm not surprised number 4 of MK on Gameboy is atrocious, though you at least gave the second game a C+. Fighting games aren't a big splash on portable systems and to back that statement up, I tried out Primal Rage on GB and no surprises it lacks the flair that the console or arcade version has.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 17th, 2022, 8:28 pm

Two games from back in the day. The GBC was okay, slimmer than the GB but not really a giant leap in performance. I love that title MK 4 Abomination. They should have ran with that one.

DMFB, I remember seeing the game but I was not really into those games. Well I had one on Atari 800xl 35 years ago.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » August 18th, 2022, 7:04 am

Hi Critic!
I don’t know what it is but when you give a coveted rare F- I have this irresistible sick desire to play it just to see how bad it is. Kind of like when you have a toothache and you have to keep messing with it to see if it still hurts.
I play the color game boy on a generic player I got from China. It’s got a huge screen and very good controls. A lot easier on the fingers.
I have say I have been very impressed with just how good some color titles could be and how powerful that little system actually is.
Oh and congrats with your Orioles making a playoff run!
I’m pulling for them, I love their stadium and I have always liked them for some reason. I did love that giant terrifying Oriole mascot, I remember seeing him wandering the stands on a dark stormy afternoon! LOL

Eric

GeoX

Postby GeoX » August 18th, 2022, 7:07 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Two games from back in the day. The GBC was okay, slimmer than the GB but not really a giant leap in performance. I love that title MK 4 Abomination. They should have ran with that one.

DMFB, I remember seeing the game but I was not really into those games. Well I had one on Atari 800xl 35 years ago.

I loved my 800xl!!!
I actually got an original 800 at Half Price books for 54 dollars with all cables and a joystick!
Only thing missing is the basic cartridge.
I want to get every 8 bit model they made.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 18th, 2022, 8:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4S_Cu1_fU&ab_channel=Highretrogamelord

This was the 800xl game. Not really the same as the BMX one but close to it. I was literally blown away by the graphics in 1985 and now look at it. Hmmm I think the Critic could play this one on his XGES if he got a tape drive. Though he would have to turn the sound down. That tune is awful.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 18th, 2022, 3:30 pm

I can't believe they were still making 8 Bit gameboy color games in 2000....while the PS2 was out for home consoles. It took handhelds so long to catch up, haha. It's like the NES tech got another 10 years because "handheld". Even the GBA, released in 2001, was still SUPER NINTENDO level. Wild. Always amazes me to see the release dates on these games. Anyway...apropos of nothing...carry on.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 19th, 2022, 6:15 am

Ah, good ol' MK4 GBC... What a mess.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 19th, 2022, 5:21 pm

Zack Burner wrote:I'm not surprised number 4 of MK on Gameboy is atrocious, though you at least gave the second game a C+. Fighting games aren't a big splash on portable systems and to back that statement up, I tried out Primal Rage on GB and no surprises it lacks the flair that the console or arcade version has.

And to counter that, I'll simply point to Samurai Shodown, World Heroes Jet, King of Fighters '96, Battle Arena Toshinden, Street Fighter Alpha, etc.

There's plenty of good fighting games on Nintendo's 8-bit portables, even if the only decent western port was Killer Instinct.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 19th, 2022, 5:32 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:I'm not surprised number 4 of MK on Gameboy is atrocious, though you at least gave the second game a C+. Fighting games aren't a big splash on portable systems and to back that statement up, I tried out Primal Rage on GB and no surprises it lacks the flair that the console or arcade version has.

And to counter that, I'll simply point to Samurai Shodown, World Heroes Jet, King of Fighters '96, Battle Arena Toshinden, Street Fighter Alpha, etc.

There's plenty of good fighting games on Nintendo's 8-bit portables, even if the only decent western port was Killer Instinct.

I'll also defend MK II GB, and I recall Primal Rage being decent (if not great).

Also SFII GB is...decent. I have more fond memories of playing it than GBC Alpha, though it has been a while for both

Return to “Review Feedback”