2022/8/20: NES: Skull & Crossbones, Battletoads/Double Dragon

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2022/8/20: NES: Skull & Crossbones, Battletoads/Double Dragon

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2022, 12:29 pm

I'm clearing out my summer game reviews. EVERYTHING MUST GO!

Let me know what you think about my Skull & Crossbones re-review, and my new review of Battletoads/Double Dragon.

mbd36

Re: 2022/8/20: NES: Skull & Crossbones, Battletoads/Double Dragon

Postby mbd36 » August 20th, 2022, 6:57 pm

I'm surprised Battletoads/Double Dragon doesn't have the Arthur award. Maybe not as hard as the original Battletoads but pretty hard.

In terms of repetitiveness it has more stage variety than most beat em ups.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » August 21st, 2022, 12:10 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm clearing out my summer game reviews. EVERYTHING MUST GO!

Let me know what you think about my Skull & Crossbones re-review, and my new review of Battletoads/Double Dragon.

Skull & Crossbones was an Atari arcade game. Fun one too!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2022, 10:25 am

Yet another old arcade game lost to the ravages of time. Why wouldn't Atari release these as compilations? Looking through old game magazine shows they had a LOT of arcade titles never available for home use.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » August 21st, 2022, 10:40 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yet another old arcade game lost to the ravages of time. Why wouldn't Atari release these as compilations? Looking through old game magazine shows they had a LOT of arcade titles never available for home use.

Absolutely. It’s crazy to think Marble Madness 2 sat unreleased for years and is only now surfacing on Mame! I’ve pondered building a Marble Madness 2 machine for the charity arcade to sit next to the MM1 we have.

Just so much wasted potential. Someone owns these, why not release them legitimately?

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 21st, 2022, 11:17 am

Slight downgrade for Skull & Crossbones, I think? Wasn't it A- before? It's a great little game -- deceptively so, as it seems floaty and low-budget at first, but it actually plays shockingly well, and it's quite fair if you understand how to play it.

The perfect way to spend 20-25 minutes, and from what I've seen of the arcade game, it may well be the better of the two!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2022, 11:57 am

goldenband wrote:Slight downgrade for Skull & Crossbones, I think? Wasn't it A- before?

Yeah I go back and forth on this one. Don't be surprised if next time you check it's an A-.

What do you guys think is the correct grade?

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 21st, 2022, 8:26 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
goldenband wrote:Slight downgrade for Skull & Crossbones, I think? Wasn't it A- before?

Yeah I go back and forth on this one. Don't be surprised if next time you check it's an A-.

What do you guys think is the correct grade?

I gave it an A- recently, FWIW. It seems surprising that it lives up to that standard, but I really think it does. The game is just plain fun once you tune into ti.

I'd like to see you do more unlicensed NES reviews. Firehawk and Captain Comic are two standouts -- both games I enjoyed significantly more than the average NES title. Firehawk is like Raid on Bungeling Bay on stereos, and Captain Comic is like a janky, lovable Metroid.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 23rd, 2022, 10:18 am

Have been playing NES for 30+ years and never come across Skull and Crossbones; will have to check it out it looks fun; thanks for the reviews.

Ordered Battletoads vs. Double Dragon recently when LRG did the re-release; really look forward to playing it again. I think i played it on SNES originally so curious to see how this NES port holds up.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » August 30th, 2022, 8:37 pm

I love the battletoads games for the style, sound, etc.... but they're just too hard for me. I've invested some actual time into the original and this one, and I just can't get far into them. I'm lucky if I get past the turbo tunnel on the original and the 2nd level on this one. I play some hard games, I beat Megaman 1 without the pause trick recently for example. But these? I can't even make a dent in them.

As for Skull and Crossbones, I was watching a youtuber who reviewed it recently and gave it an F. (I think it was John Riggs?) It's interesting to see the differences in opinions on games from people. One person's A is another's F.

Return to “Review Feedback”