2022/8/27: NES: Kung Fu, Days of Thunder, Stanley: The Search For Dr. Livingston

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2022/8/27: NES: Kung Fu, Days of Thunder, Stanley: The Search For Dr. Livingston

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 27th, 2022, 4:35 pm

My summer review clearance sale continues. Here are three NES reviews for your reading pleasure.

Kung Fu is a re-review (C- to B) but the other two are new. Thoughts?

goldenband

Re: 2022/8/27: NES: Kung Fu, Days of Thunder, Stanley: The Search For Dr. Livingston

Postby goldenband » August 27th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Love 'em! I agree that Kung Fu looks really good now, when a short game is a godsend. I just beat Game B for the first time the other week -- realized I'd only ever played on Game A, which I can usually beat on my first or second try. It's significantly harder but doable.

One thing that's interesting about Days of Thunder is that there was a totally different version of the game in production that got scrapped, made by Mindscape instead of Beam Software. You can see the prototype here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPrOC2-CPU

It uses first-person for the qualifying race, but the main races are side-scrolling!

mbd36

Re: 2022/8/27: NES: Kung Fu, Days of Thunder, Stanley: The Search For Dr. Livingston

Postby mbd36 » August 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Kung Fu is fun for a quick playthrough but it's also a great high score game. Much like Donkey Kong and other early 80s arcade games, it's meant to be repeatedly looped for score with the difficulty increasing after each loop.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 28th, 2022, 10:45 am

I'll have to try Kung Fu out myself, based on that nice review! If you want more NES Kung Fu action look for the cute, simple and addicting, Kung Fu Heroes.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 30th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Kung Fu is a certified classic; thanks for bumping it up to the B it deserves.

Hate Days of Thunder with a passion; always wondered if i was doing something wrong when i played it back then but nope; it just sucks. Sucked then and sucks now which is a shame because the movie is good.

Dr Livingston...never heard of it. Amazing all these random NES titles i've never come across even after 30+ years.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » September 1st, 2022, 12:51 am

travistouchdown wrote:
Dr Livingston...never heard of it. Amazing all these random NES titles i've never come across even after 30+ years.

I've been thinking that a lot lately after subscribing to a couple YouTubers that has videos dedicated to lesser-known games. I almost wonder if there was a geographic component to it, like the East Coast got different Games than the West, or that some games only went to big cities...

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » September 1st, 2022, 7:00 pm

I remember me and my buddy rented out Days of Thunder from our local video store way back when. We took it back to my house, played around with it a few times, then put it aside, thinking to ourselves that was 3 bucks we were never gonna get back. I've haven't played it since then, but I'm kind of getting the urge to play it again just to see if it is actually as bad as I remember. I'd say it probably is, though....

Return to “Review Feedback”