2022/9/2: Intellivision: Shark! Shark!

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2022/9/2: Intellivision: Shark! Shark!

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2022, 2:10 pm

Here's an enhanced review of a classic I've been playing a lot lately: Shark Shark!

I bumped it up to an A+ because I think it's my favorite Intellivision game.

Thoughts?

Teddybear

Re: 2022/9/2: Intellivision: Shark! Shark!

Postby Teddybear » September 2nd, 2022, 2:52 pm

I just played this yesterday so your updated review is very apt to me. I've always agreed with your take that playing Shark! Shark! makes one feel a little cooler on a hot day. So does Thin Ice for that matter.

It is a little interesting that this is now your first A+ given to an original Intellivision release. While I do not disagree with the other A+'s assigned (all fantastic homebrews) I think Burgertime, Diner and Cloudy Mountain are little more worthy of such a perfect grade for original releases.

Shark! Shark! is a great game, awesome two-player feature, highly original theme but lacks significant replay value as a solo player. That's why it should stay with a grade of "just" an A.

But if it happens to be The Critic's favorite Inty game, who am I to argue?

k8track

Postby k8track » September 2nd, 2022, 3:40 pm

Wow! I just wanna say that between upgrading this up to an A+ as well as Pitfall 2 for the 2600, you're killing it lately. Could not agree more that this is worthy of an A+. It may just well be my favorite Intellivision game as well. I used to spend countless hours with this one. Kudos.

k8track

Postby k8track » September 2nd, 2022, 3:43 pm

Teddybear wrote:I think Burgertime, Diner and Cloudy Mountain are little more worthy of such a perfect grade for original releases.

Though I myself might not say more worthy, I wholeheartedly agree that these would also be equally worthy of an A+.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 2nd, 2022, 5:52 pm

good game but i predict a downgrade back to an A in about 3 years :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2022, 6:05 pm

ASalvaro wrote:good game but i predict a downgrade back to an A in about 3 years :lol:

LOL. I'm the George Lucas of game reviewers.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » September 2nd, 2022, 6:48 pm

I like Shark! Shark! but my wife and I were always disappointed by the two-player mode. I don't remember the details, but I think it makes you return to small size when you get eaten? I just remember that we wanted it to work differently. Then again maybe Go Fish! on the Atari 2600 highlights the danger of that approach, since the Critic's review indicates that it breaks the 2P game.

I'd give Shark! Shark! a B+ myself. Good music. There's also an Atari 2600 homebrew along similar lines.

As a side note, I have to admit that I enjoy these re-reviews more when they're accompanied by a new review. There are still a few interesting games that haven't been reviewed on Intellivision (Blockade Runner, Pole Position, Super Pro Decathlon, and World Cup Soccer), not to mention a bunch of homebrews; I look forward to seeing those get covered.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 2nd, 2022, 10:03 pm

just a side note when Shark Shark was new it was a very cheap game compared to the others it was around $19.99 at Toys R Us and other stores brand new

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2022, 10:37 pm

goldenband wrote:As a side note, I have to admit that I enjoy these re-reviews more when they're accompanied by a new review. There are still a few interesting games that haven't been reviewed on Intellivision (Blockade Runner, Pole Position, Super Pro Decathlon, and World Cup Soccer), not to mention a bunch of homebrews; I look forward to seeing those get covered.

Golden - your point is well taken! I am just in a rush to push out my summer reviews because I have a big stack of Fall games I need to dig into! It's the best season, after all.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2022, 10:37 pm

ASalvaro wrote:just a side note when Shark Shark was new it was a very cheap game compared to the others it was around $19.99 at Toys R Us and other stores brand new

If I could go back in time, I would be spending a lot of time at Toys R Us!

Return to “Review Feedback”