2022/12/28: Playstation 5: NHL 22, God of War: Ragnarok

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Gleebergloben123

Re: 2022/12/28: Playstation 5: NHL 22, God of War: Ragnarok

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 30th, 2022, 3:10 pm

Do you know what I love? Video games. Mostly of the old-fashioned variety, like Q-Bert and Ms. Pac-Man and Crazy Climber. Yes, after long consideration, I love video games.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 30th, 2022, 4:20 pm

Herschie wrote:In other words, it doesn't fit the historical context, and thus feels out of place.

This is a Fair point. In context of this game, we were already in fantasy land from the moment you press the button to start the game. The devs, in context, could have made Artemis's love interest anything they wanted. A nubile that transforms into a Mantis that consumes him after mating? Sure why not. An Egyptian girl? I just do not understand how this is a point for discussion in a fantasy game. I sit here in staggered amazement. The Critic review, my main critique, is the game sucked for him and the bulk reasons were not the topic of this thread. An unnecessary complaint ended up taken as the main complaint. Attention went down a parallel path. The game had problems, but it sure does not end or begin in Egypt or a stuffy corporate office with the lead developer banging down his gavel.

SuperiorShark wrote:"Coded right wing messages?"

If meaning claims with no substance, then yes. Proof used to mean something. If the developer actually was on record stating they felt forced into including an Egyptian character I could see an interesting debate issue. Debating if artistic vision should have societal obligations to fulfill would be quite stimulating. But without evidence to the contrary there is nothing to discuss. All we are doing is now discussing semantics and letting time immemorial prejudices wallpaper the building. We should be better than this.

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Do you know what I love? Video games. Mostly of the old-fashioned variety, like Q-Bert and Ms. Pac-Man and Crazy Climber. Yes, after long consideration, I love video games.

Videogames for peace 8-)

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 30th, 2022, 9:32 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
SuperiorShark wrote:Getting out my last word before the mods inevitably close this thread lol. On the whole "forced diversity" thing, personally I couldn't care what color Atreus's girlfriend is, but I think what the Critic and other people are talking about when they bring this up is that back in the day, nobody ever really gave a damn about "diversity." Like did you see anyone complain that Lando Calrissian was black? Nowadays in this hyper sensitive world we live in, we are constantly being reminded how important it is to have racial minorities or LGBT characters in entertainment when before nobody really batted an eye when these people were included before. It's all just so out there now and makes people (who may or may not be correct in their assumptions) that the story matters less than the identities of the characters. I mean why does this character need to be gay, why does this character need to be black, why does this character need to be disabled? Just write your story how you want to. I really believe that if people just stopped talking about identities so much and insisting that we all wear it on our sleeve and love and embrace everyone that a lot of the racism, sexism, homophobia and any other kind of ism or phobia would over time just disappear.

I didn't even know there was a black woman in the game until the critic decided it was an important issue. Within just a minute of research, I also discovered it isn't unreasonable for there to be a few people from Africa in that region during that time.

And again, the trend has been for diversity to be censored. Aside from Jedi Fallen Order scandal, Ubi Soft management was stomping down on any developer suggestion of a woman leading Assassin's Creed for years - during a time when they were also sexually harassing employees while publicly claiming to support them. Plus, when even Tomonobu Itagaki - proud king of lava lamp breast physics - is questioning the industry's white washing one of his characters?

There might be a problem.

Also, I'm old enough to remember Carrie Fisher being called "space b*tch" because Leia was too mean after all the torture and her planet getting blown up - apparently, that sentiment didn't go away until Jabba took her clothes off. She shared that one in Rolling Stone. And no issues with prejudice back then? You should see the insane demands Q5 made about The Real Ghostbusters. You know, what was once the top cartoon in the country? In order to satisfy these social conservatives, Janine had to be meek and soft and supportive and switch to glasses with no sharp edges. It was also important, because reasons, that the cartoon emphasize that Winston's role in the Ghostbusters - his contribution to the team, as a character? He was their driver. They were called racist trash by the show's creator, who quit in protest. (The show would crash and burn with their suggestions. He'd go on to make Babylon 5.)

And this is just what was happening in the world of 80's light escapism. Things get a lot uglier if we talk about what else was going on...

oh give it a break...you comb through what the critic and what everyone else says for anything that might be deemed racist or biggoted in your opinion just to make yourself feel superior..it's people like you on the internet that make everyone walk on eggshells and have drained every ounce of fun from comedy movies and tv and now video games and it's usually people like you who are the most biggoted and racist..so get off your high horse and actually try to have fun for once and stop being a woke filter

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 30th, 2022, 11:48 pm

ASalvaro wrote:oh give it a break...you comb through what the critic and what everyone else says for anything that might be deemed racist or biggoted in your opinion just to make yourself feel superior..

Stop your bloody whining.

He made a scene about developers being forced to add diversity, which didn't happen.

You have a cry about two black people appearing in a land of giant wolves and snake people and I'm going to make fun of you for it.

Because it's hilarious.

And apparently, that kind of BS bothers other people too - hell, it comes up pretty often in reviews of this site.

I'm just not inclined to mince words about it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 31st, 2022, 12:11 am

ASalvaro wrote:oh give it a break...you comb through what the critic and what everyone else says for anything that might be deemed racist or biggoted in your opinion just to make yourself feel superior..it's people like you on the internet that make everyone walk on eggshells and have drained every ounce of fun from comedy movies and tv and now video games and it's usually people like you who are the most biggoted and racist..so get off your high horse and actually try to have fun for once and stop being a woke filter

Woah man, chill. This is not playing by your usual nice standards. Mild irritation usurped your otherwise calm demeanor. I get it. I am ill with Covid and am feeling super cranky as I write. We cant be chill all the time.

It is really not racist if one calls it out as a matter of moral standard. Nobody would think a Christian was a closet Devil Worshipper if he mentions hell in a sermon (unless you had a picture of him making a burnt offering). Religion has been masquerading as society's moral authority for centuries to foster community cohesion. Except the former so called woke moral standard has some merit in a society that does leave certain demographics behind. I do not think anyone can seriously disagree with that. Sure the politics go deep and we all have our pet Gods. Whatever the case this Ad Hominem argument does not fly. The standards bore by it are too low, particularly without proof.

Anyway the issue raised here is not about diversity, never really was if you read earlier posts. Diversity was the excuse not the central theme.

ThePixelatedGenocide was focused on pointing the elephant in the room - some opinions count more than others. If the forum is no politics, then no politics. If it allows politics, then he raises a question of fair representation. Yes of course there is a limit to what is reasonable but there is a difference between genuine inquiry and toxic. This is a Video Game Forum and everyone should be welcome here, irrespective of their own political and religious opinions (which are largely shaped by personal life circumstances, upbringing, life experience, and so on. Not like our own Free Will includes dominion over all of life's variables).

Nothing wrong in this thread with pointing out that corporations are under pressure to maximize profits and pander to a particular political base. Even if one felt a moral duty to improve minority representation in games, the shareholders don't agree. Not that game developers have a huge left wing presense. This point made earlier was missed. Right Wing Forums like the old Reddit Donald had a saying. Go Woke Go Broke. It is a catch phrase that I see in many forums. Most left wing gamers would buy the game anyway and probably wont even be aware of the boardroom politics. I do not blame game developers for being spooked or playing safe.

Of course I understand that opinion censorship and cancel culture are activities enjoyed by both the right wing and the left wing as well. But that is an issue that should only affect one if they seek fellowship in those sub communities. Not on this forum though.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 31st, 2022, 1:06 am

Well lets wrap this up guys.

Sometimes debating other topics is fun.

Mods, lock her down, lets start 2023 with refreshed enthusiasm.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 31st, 2022, 8:12 am

I can second the motion. Sal made it unnecessarily hostile and it won't recover as a result.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 31st, 2022, 9:30 am

People suddenly concerned about historical accuracy in a God of War game.

I enjoy heated threads, but I won't mind if this one is locked.

David

Postby David » December 31st, 2022, 10:17 am

Would be nice if the guy running the site had something to say at least. Whether it’s an “I’ll try to do better” or not, at least take a stand so everyone knows where you’re coming from.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 3rd, 2023, 6:21 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Do you know what I love? Video games. Mostly of the old-fashioned variety, like Q-Bert and Ms. Pac-Man and Crazy Climber. Yes, after long consideration, I love video games.

Awesome. They should put Ms PacMan in the pac man museum.

Q bert is so good as a game.

Not sure I played Crazy Climber. I must try that one out.

Return to “Review Feedback”