2023/2/2: Playstation 5: Sonic Frontiers

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Stalvern

Re: 2023/2/2: Playstation 5: Sonic Frontiers

Postby Stalvern » February 5th, 2023, 11:09 am

The game's defenders have been very polite in this thread.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2023, 11:14 am

Stalvern wrote:The game's defenders have been very polite in this thread.

Yeah this is a very civilized site! I'm glad to see people actually enjoy this game. They are not wrong and it's healthy to see diverse opinions.

My opinions tend to be a little more dramatic because I need to write entertaining reviews. If I love a game I REALLY love it, but if I don't.... well...

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 5th, 2023, 4:12 pm

I’m clearly in the minority around here but I’m actually really enjoying Sonic Frontiers, and I think it’s probably the best 3d Sonic (it’s between it and Sonic Colors).

I think the open world actually works really well for Sonic. In other 3d sonic games, you fall frequently due to the high speed platforming and just have to start a section over, and it’s very frustrating. If you fall in this one you can usually just keep going in a different direction. I also think the platforming is just smoother than in other 3d sonic games.

As fas as the collectables my approach is to just not care what anything is or what I grab. If I just roam the map having fun I eventually end up with enough Amy’s memory tokens or Knuckles war medals, whatever the heck these things are, to move along with the game. Yeah there are too many collectibles, keys, cogs, coins, tokens, etc, but for the most part, anything you need you will get just by running around and enjoying the overworld. You don’t have to really make an effort to find anything like in Donkey Kong 64.

The little sub-levels aren’t perfect but I think they are basically as fun as anything in sonic colors. And they break up the open world nicely.

I’m even enjoying the bosses for the most part, and they add some good variety. The exception unfortunately being the first world’s main boss. They really managed to suck the fun out of being super sonic.

And I do hate the overall tone and music direction. I would be having a lot more fun if the game were just letting it be fun. Why am I listening to somber piano music while grinding rails as Sonic?

Overall, after nearly finishing the second world, I’d probably give it a C+. If they made the same game with a different soundtrack and reworked the main world bosses, I’d give it an A.

fod

Postby fod » February 8th, 2023, 1:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Stalvern wrote:Aside from everything else, this review has some of the most aggressively formatted text I've seen in a while. Tell us how you really feel! :lol:

Typo: There shouldn't be a hyphen in "decidedly-corporate" at the end.

I think part of that is due to the fact that I'm expecting big things from the Playstation 5, and I haven't seen them yet. This system should be the high-water mark of games, not just ports of PS4 titles.

If not for a pandemic-induced supply chain issue involving microchips, we probably would've seen more current-gen graphic fidelity, but companies need profits, and focusing on development for the last-gen platforms with the largest player bases is a sound business decision.

At least some of the late-2022 releases are starting to flex current-gen graphical muscles, albeit mostly with the same crappy game design and quality that has plagued most games in the 2020s.

DX_Receiver

Postby DX_Receiver » February 9th, 2023, 1:41 pm

The biggest issue that made me bounce off of Sonic Frontiers was the horrible pacing. If you decide to explore the environment, collecting all the various items and bouncing between the various cyberspace levels, you'll find yourself unable to progress at a certain point. In order to progress, you have to wander through the entire level just to trigger multiple story sequences concerning a member of Sonic's posse. These cutscenes, sadly, range from mildly amusing to absolute droll. Thankfully, nothing is quite as overbearing as God of War Ragnarok, but pardon me if I'm not exactly invested in a love story between two chickpea looking creatures! Was there not a better way of integrating these into the game?

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » August 1st, 2023, 10:47 pm

Well some Sonic fans have found ways to mash up two different series together into music videos, this game being no exception and probably the best one ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9wbkBJunhc

Return to “Review Feedback”