4/11/2007: Neo Geo: Andro Dunos, League Bowling

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2007, 11:40 am

[QUOTE=pilot]Do you read other reviews first and try to take their thoughts into consideration before you add in your own opinions? I was wondering since I believe that to rely solely on one's own instincts is not all that insightful.

For instance, even if I really like a game, I read other negative reviews to analyze whether their comments are logical enough to weigh against a game.

[/QUOTE]

I subscribe to a number of video game magazines, but to be honest, I try to block out media opinion when I play a game, and start with a blank slate.  If anything, I find input from my friends far more valuable.

The problem with game magazines is that all the reviewers collaborate with each other, so even when three people review the same game, the reviews are usually in agreement.  I prefer not to water-down my reviews like that.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » April 14th, 2007, 3:48 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
I subscribe to a number of video game magazines, but to be honest, I try to block out media opinion when I play a game, and start with a blank slate.  If anything, I find input from my friends far more valuable.

The problem with game magazines is that all the reviewers collaborate with each other, so even when three people review the same game, the reviews are usually in agreement.  I prefer not to water-down my reviews like that.
[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but it's obvious that many other reviewers are biased based on (I'm guessing) influence by the game publishers to give good reviews; in other words, they hold it over their head that they will not release their games to the magazines if they give bad reviews, or won't give them 'exclusive previews' of upcomming games.  I know that Dave himself has been contacted by companies complaining that they feel he gave them an unfair review and as a result they would not send him any more games!  Now since they hadn't sent him any free games to begin with it ended up not being an issue, but that demonstrated that this kind of 'blackmail' OBVIOUSLY goes on with mainstream publications and, based on many of their reviews, I'd have to say it's pretty successsful.

Dave certainly doesn't need me to defend him or his site, but I think the entire point of videogamecritic.com is to give an outsiders unbiased/unprejudiced "average game player" opinion.  He works normal hours at a normal job and plays games on the side in his spare time, just like MOST of us.  You won't see him complaining that a game is "too short" because it only lasted 40 hours, because to your normal game player that's a good amount of time - to reviewers who play games for a living and do nothing but for at least 8-10 hour every single day, 40 hours may seem short.
Sudz

Return to “Review Feedback”