SMS vs NES

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Shaun

SMS vs NES

Postby Shaun » July 22nd, 2007, 11:36 pm

Not quite sure what the critic was thinking when he stated that the NES boasted graphics that were more colorful and detailed then SMS graphics.  Clearly, as shown by the pictures next to the reviews, the SMS had more colors on screen and a distinct clarity, similar to the advantages the SNES had over the Genesis.  While I believe the NES could display larger sprites, the color advantages are obvious.  If Genesis had the pallate the SNES did, I would think it could dominate the market in the early to mid 90's.  Other then this, I agree with much of what the critic states....

gleebergloben1

SMS vs NES

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 23rd, 2007, 12:13 am

the NES was released in the U.S. in 1985, and the atari 7800, although created in 1984, was not released until 1986, due to jack tramiel's penchant for running companies into the ground.  i know the alienblue is a huge 7800 fan, but according to VGC, the NES had better graphics and color.  i thought this might be due to the fact that NES was made a year later than the 7800.  however, if i'm not mistaken, the NES was actually created in 1983 in japan, but wasn't released in the U.S. until 1985.  if that's the case, then the NES was the superior system.

Alienblue

SMS vs NES

Postby Alienblue » July 23rd, 2007, 5:11 am

Dear Gleber...whatever... your post and name make no sense! First of all you are confusing the two A playas on this site (not counting LITTLE a!) , ATARIFEVER is the huge 7800 fan.

Also the poster was saying the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM had better graphics than the NES which it did; both a higher resolution and more colors. It's weakness was the sound, which was usually awfull compared to NES (compare any SMS shooter with ZANAC on NES!); also the SMS controls were a bit mushy.

But no one MENTIONED the 7800!?

Atarifever1

SMS vs NES

Postby Atarifever1 » July 23rd, 2007, 6:30 am

Yeah I read that the other day as well and was wondering what the critic had smoked the day he wrote that.  I chalked it up to the fact that he, like many, probably saw the NES graphics he had played more frequently as "standard" graphics, and then saw the better graphics of the SMS as "wrong."  It's like that review of Street Fighter Alpha where the guy complained about the Saturn versions shadows being "wrong", when they were arcade perfect, just because they weren't like the PS1 shadows (which actually were wrong).

gleebergloben1

SMS vs NES

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 23rd, 2007, 11:16 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Dear Gleber...whatever... your post and name make no sense! First of all you are confusing the two A playas on this site (not counting LITTLE a!) , ATARIFEVER is the huge 7800 fan.

Also the poster was saying the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM had better graphics than the NES which it did; both a higher resolution and more colors. It's weakness was the sound, which was usually awfull compared to NES (compare any SMS shooter with ZANAC on NES!); also the SMS controls were a bit mushy.

But no one MENTIONED the 7800!? [/QUOTE]

Hi Alienblue, no reason to get nasty.  I thought that you were a big fan of the 7800, and if you're not, then I guess I should apologize for make such a grievous error. By the way, I'd choose a 7800 over the NES any day, just because of the history and the game 'Food Fight' (my favorite classic arcade game).  And the 7800, NES, and SMS are often mentioned together because they came out at about the same time, which is why I mentioned the 7800 and NES.  If you want to take it personally, then so be it.  I was just bringing up what I thought was an interesting point, that the NES (or Famicom) was actually made a year before the 7800. 

a1

SMS vs NES

Postby a1 » July 23rd, 2007, 1:32 pm

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]Hi Alienblue, no reason to get nasty.  I thought that you were a big fan of the 7800, and if you're not, then I guess I should apologize for make such a grievous error. By the way, I'd choose a 7800 over the NES any day, just because of the history and the game 'Food Fight' (my favorite classic arcade game).  And the 7800, NES, and SMS are often mentioned together because they came out at about the same time, which is why I mentioned the 7800 and NES.  If you want to take it personally, then so be it.  I was just bringing up what I thought was an interesting point, that the NES (or Famicom) was actually made a year before the 7800. 

[/QUOTE]

You seem to be, once again, a little confused. If you took Alienblue's tone as nasty, then you clearly haven't read many of his posts. This is the person that avoids conflict as much as possible on this anonymous site. I'm sure there was a playful tone to his post, which seemed pretty clear the way I read it. I think you're the one taking things personally in this case.

Anyway, I've never played the SMS, but this is an interesting argument. Does anyone have the actual specs of the systems so we could compare?

Atarifever1

SMS vs NES

Postby Atarifever1 » July 23rd, 2007, 1:52 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]ATARIFEVER is the huge 7800 fan.

[/QUOTE]

I'm hardly huge Alienblue.  Here I am hanging with a rabbit.
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showuser=5952

See, not huge... scrawney even.  Please ignore the fact that the quality of the picture makes it look like my face is melting in real life.  It is not.

All joking aside, I think Gleber has actually misinterpreted Alienblue's post, or the other way around.  I don't think either of you meant to offend the other very much at all.  It's like my rabbit friend says "stop arguing or I will eat your brain".  Yep, good old hoppy, always full of good advice.

Atarifever1

SMS vs NES

Postby Atarifever1 » July 23rd, 2007, 2:57 pm

[QUOTE=a]

Anyway, I've never played the SMS, but this is an interesting argument. Does anyone have the actual specs of the systems so we could compare?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, let me just bring up those specs for you.  I have them here somewhere.... oh, here they are:

NES: Poop

SMS: Not poop.

There we go; I know it's a little technologically complex, but I think the numbers speak for themselves. 

gleebergloben1

SMS vs NES

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 23rd, 2007, 7:05 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=gleebergloben]Hi Alienblue, no reason to get nasty.  I thought that you were a big fan of the 7800, and if you're not, then I guess I should apologize for make such a grievous error. By the way, I'd choose a 7800 over the NES any day, just because of the history and the game 'Food Fight' (my favorite classic arcade game).  And the 7800, NES, and SMS are often mentioned together because they came out at about the same time, which is why I mentioned the 7800 and NES.  If you want to take it personally, then so be it.  I was just bringing up what I thought was an interesting point, that the NES (or Famicom) was actually made a year before the 7800. 

[/QUOTE]

You seem to be, once again, a little confused. If you took Alienblue's tone as nasty, then you clearly haven't read many of his posts. This is the person that avoids conflict as much as possible on this anonymous site. I'm sure there was a playful tone to his post, which seemed pretty clear the way I read it. I think you're the one taking things personally in this case.

dude, whatever.  your comments and your name make absolutely no sense (note the playful tone in that sentence). 

a side by side by side comparison of the 7800, the SMS, and the NES would be interesting.  i remember reading that atari interviewed thousands (yes, thousands) of kids trying to figure out what kids wanted in the next generation of video games.  maybe i'm being naive here, but what kind of answers could atari have possibly gotten from the kids interviewed?  ("uh, i want good graphics and sound.  oh yeah, and good graphics.") 

gleebergloben1

SMS vs NES

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 23rd, 2007, 7:58 pm

for those of you keeping score at home, here is what i found about the specs of the NES, the 7800, and the SMS.  at least it's a start:

NES

Technical Specs:

CPU: 8-bit 6502 NMOS (1.79MHz)
RAM: 2KB (16Kb), 2KB Video RAM
Colors: 52 (24 on screen)
Sprites: 64
Sprite Size: 8x16 pixels
Resolution: 256x240 pixels
Sound: PSG audio

Atari 7800 Specs:

CPU : 6502C
RAM : 4K