7/31/2007: Playstation 2: Metal Slug Anthology, Taito Legends 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Matchstick

Re: 7/31/2007: Playstation 2: Metal Slug Anthology, Taito Legends 2

Postby Matchstick » October 16th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Ahhhh, nothing like digging up a twelve-year-old thread!

As a huge Saturn nerd, I have been going back and forth for years about whether or not I wanted to pay the absurd import prices for Taito's Elevator Action Returns. I already have a nice library of Saturn imports, some of which have really spiked in price over the years (Bulk Slash, the iffy port of SOTN, etc) and am reluctant to shell out a ton of cash for a game that, all things considered, I could have gotten for far less if I had bought it when I first wanted it years ago.

Lo and behold, I stumble across the reviews for Taito Legends 1 and 2, and there it is, in black and white: Elevator Action Returns is on Legends 2, along with another game I already own on the Saturn, Darius Gaiden. SOLD!! Wound up buying both Legends 1 & 2 from GameStop's website. Got them both for under $20 total, and it must have been my lucky day, because both games came with their original cases and cover art. Total. Effin'. Score.

Now that I've gotten to play it, is EAR worth the $200 or so the Saturn version normally goes for on eBay? Oh, Hell no! But it's certainly worth whatever TL2 cost when it was first released, and an absolute steal for the $8 I paid for it. Having Darius Gaiden on there is a huge bonus, too, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of G Darius, it's growing on me.

Plus, all the other games on the collections that I remember from my arcade heyday are a total blast to play again. I'm loving having Space Gun, even though you don't have the true arcade feel of blasting away with the giant plastic pulse rifles that were attached to the actual cabinet. I remember seeing BattleShark next to a NBA Jam machine at a local pizzaria growing up, even though I never actually played it. Now, I can play it whenever I want! What a time to be alive!

Seriously, these collections are the bee's knees, and if you're a Saturn collector such as myself, they can save you a giant stack of cash over buying the Saturn versions of some of the games included in this set. Plus, they're all arcade-perfect. Done deal.

This is the best gaming deal I've gotten in what feels like a lifetime, and I have this site to thank for it. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Return to “Review Feedback”