2008/1/17: Xbox 360: Halo 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
smokeydadog

Postby smokeydadog » January 19th, 2008, 11:38 am

Halo 3 was the first game I played on the 360 and for me was a big disappointment. My buddy kindly left his 360 at my place for a week and so I got the chance to play completely through the single player campaign. After that I had no desire to buy the game or even get a 360. Luckily the critic's review of Bioshock convinced me I had to play that game, and it blew me away. Bioshock truly feels like a next-gen (or current gen, whatever) game whereas Halo 3 felt like a prettier version of the previous games. And I agree with the guy who said the graphics were not up to the level of many 360 titles. I can't grade the multiplayer since I have no interest in it, but the single player is worth no more than a B in my opinion. I'll probably get stoned in the street for saying this, but I actually enjoyed Quake 4 a little better. For what it's worth, my friend was also disappointed in the game and I don't think he even finished it. It's solid to be sure, but does not live up to the hype.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 21st, 2008, 7:17 am

[QUOTE=smokeydadog]I'll probably get stoned in the street for saying this, but I actually enjoyed Quake 4 a little better. For what it's worth, my friend was also disappointed in the game and I don't think he even finished it. It's solid to be sure, but does not live up to the hype.
[/QUOTE]

That's because Quake 4 is a vastly superior game than Halo 3.  It has tighter art direction, more impressive dramatic moments and much more satisfying gun play.  The multiplayer in Quake 4 is far more satisfying and requires way more skill being very close to the awesome Quake 3 Arena.  Quake 4 shows Halo 3 how to take an old game and remake it properly. 

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » January 21st, 2008, 10:10 am

My only experience with the Halo series was with the first game.  I played through the single player campaign and only enjoyed about 20% of it, with the rest being some extremely repetitive corridor shooting.  If Halo 3 took that 20% that I liked and made a full game out of it, I can see how it could be an A game.  

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 21st, 2008, 3:42 pm

[QUOTE=MappyMousePD]My only experience with the Halo series was with the first game.  I played through the single player campaign and only enjoyed about 20% of it, with the rest being some extremely repetitive corridor shooting.  If Halo 3 took that 20% that I liked and made a full game out of it, I can see how it could be an A game.  
[/QUOTE]

Yep, they took all of those open ended levels with vehicles and multiplied them by about three.  There are only a couple of corridor like levels in the game, the rest are the tackle it any way you want levels either on foot or in a vehicle (driver or passenger). 

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » January 21st, 2008, 4:53 pm

While halo 3 graphics aren't much BETTER than halo 1 and 2, i think the look much, MUCH, MUCH, prettier. halo 1 and 2 just look depressing and dark and ugly when you look at them, i don't know why people said 2 was so shiny, the only multiplayer map i could bear to play for long was coagulation because it didnt assault my eyes with a loss of hope XP i dont even have a problem with games having a more realistic color scheme, it was just something about the halos in particular which reminded me of....goldeneye, which, face it, looks pretty crappy today.
3 looks just.....easier on the eyes. And that's my 2 gil.

Return to “Review Feedback”