2008/2/24: Sega CD: AH-3 Thunderstrike, Cliffhanger, NFL Football Trivia Challenge

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2008/2/24: Sega CD: AH-3 Thunderstrike, Cliffhanger, NFL Football Trivia Challenge

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2008, 3:54 pm

It's hard to find screenshots for these Sega CD games.  I really wanted to use the snowboarding clip for Cliffhanger, but couldn't find any.  Please send me one if you find it.  Also, the NFL Trivia screenshot looks awful because I was reduced to scanning the back of the box - always a last resort!

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » February 24th, 2008, 5:37 pm

This is my chance to say that I feel bad for the Sega CD. I do like the Sega CD, but the fact that critics have flamed over it is just sad. Poor Sega

Jedi Master Thrash

Postby Jedi Master Thrash » February 24th, 2008, 10:03 pm

I generally agree with most of your reviews, and enjoy the no-holds barred approach to garbage games.

I check the site regularly for new reviews, just to see what you think of the games. When I saw one of my all time faves, AH-3 Thunderstrike, on the new list, I was excited, but quite dismayed by the score.

I think this game is definitely worth another look. First, take it from the point of view of an arcade-style helicopter shooter, and NOT from the point of view of a 3D desert strike or a "simulation" of any kind. These may have predispositioned your review.

As soon as the mission loads, just lay down on the machine guns and head north, straffing left and right as you go to "mow down a path of trees". This is hella-fun. Just the fact that you can lay down the gunfire and everything you see blows up under your fire is amusing and stress relieving beyond belief.

Then once some big targets show up, use those rockets, and watch as they alternate left-right-left-right from your sides as you pummel the tanks and towers with rockets.

When one of those pesky helicopters or airplanes shows up, raise your altitude, target, and fire off a missle to get rid of them.

As an arcade shooter, this game is utterly amazing. Even if the flat-ground and scaling sprites are antiquated by 3D graphics standards, the smooth flying motion animation and smooth scaling prevent the graphics from being a hindrance.

True, sometimes when you're trying to pinpoint that last target, backing up into trees can get annoying. But that's why I strafe a swath through the trees with gunfire. It's both extremely fun, and serves a purpose!

This is one of the only games ever made where you can just jump into a 1st person view and fly around blowing up everything in sight and just have fun for a few minutes, 15 minutes, or an hour if you want. And the mission progress is saved to RAM, so you can load where you left off to finish the whole game over a longer timeframe.

Lastly, this game has some depth to it that I think you missed. On many of the missions, there are special tasks you can perform that earn you extra medals. Like when you rescue the guy from the downed stealth bomber, or save a convoy.

The Sega CD is my favorite system of all time, because my three favorite games are on it:

1.) The best arcade driving combat game ever:  Batman Returns CD
2.) The best arcade flying combat game ever: AH-3 Thunderstrike
3.) The best 2D fighting game ever: Eternal Champions CD

Return to “Review Feedback”