2008/4/10: GameCube: Star Fox Adventures, Super Smash Bros. Melee

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 11th, 2008, 9:23 am

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI]In Devil May Cry they offer a small "explanation" as to why you can double-jump aka air hike (something to do with a magical demon platform appearing at your feet, which you can see if you look closely)
[/QUOTE]

I know the explanation quite well.  I don't think it adds any credibility to the double jump, at least not anymore than I see in any other fantasy-based scenario.  It's just all too convenient.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 11th, 2008, 9:42 am

Agreed, Star Fox Adventures is a solid B game at the very least.  It's fun and has charming qualities about it.  I do remember getting stuck at a certain point and moving on to another game but that was after 7 or 8 hours into it at the very least.  Up until that point, I had a fantastic time.

Actually, this game was originally going to be an N64 game by Rare but they bumped it to GC and changed up the main character to be Fox.  I still remember seeing pictures of the main character they were going to use (all blue).  I kind of would have preferred they'd have kept with the original plan but it's still a fun game that's definitely above average. 

Blah

Postby Blah » April 11th, 2008, 10:17 am

I'm glad that the Critic has grown to like Melee more. I think that the air jump has to be in the game (Cause if you accidentaly fell off the edge, would you just drop off the screen like a lead balloon?) but to each his own.
I tried Melee again yesterday after a month of playing Brawl, and I was surprised by how nauseating it was. It went so fast and the camera was so jerky! It's clear that Brawl's better. To me, at least.
PS I was thinking of buying Star Fox Adventures! Thanks for stopping me!

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » April 11th, 2008, 11:55 am

[QUOTE=hi there]

Melee needs a D.  Why?  Because there's so much stuff to unlock that the game becomes a tedious, annoying mess, also, there are too many stupid game modes and charater clones.  Brawl might as well get an F, because it has even MORE unlockables and unnessary game modes.  Unlocking things is no fun at all, and it really turns me off.  They got it right with the first one, and it should get an A just because there is only 5 things to unlock, and it's pretty easy to do.  Again, MK and SF were both fun, and there are NO unlockables.  I guess companies have gotten too dumb to focus on fun.  Good thing I don't play new games anymore.

[/QUOTE]

I don't recall the game forcing you to unlock anything :/ you got it if you wanted it. besides, i got all stages and characters in brawl in about 3 days.

Critic, on your melee review, I think you did good to up the grade, but I also can't help but feel maybe you raised it higher than you thought it really deserved. Don't get me wrong, I think Melee should get an A, but it's your thoughts on here, not mine. So, I won't complain if it gets bumped down to C+ :/  still, great review. Only problem now is your double jumping hate. you can interecept people in the air to prevent that...but  let's also not forget that double jump appears in "kingdom hearts" and the kirby games.

On StarFox Adventures....god, what a poo pile, but only because it wasn't what i expected when i heard the name "star fox" I think F may be pushing it, but i wouldn't go above a C- for that game :/

qubit

Postby qubit » April 11th, 2008, 12:37 pm

You know what's the worst part about SFA?  They start off with two rail shooting levels, JUST to tease you into thinking you're playing a Star Fox game.  That's sad.

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » April 11th, 2008, 1:36 pm

>Because there's so much stuff to unlock that the game becomes a tedious, annoying mess, also, there are too many stupid game modes and charater clones.

Then I would invest in a Pro Action Replay or Game Genie, cause a lot of games have unlockable stuff.

sdf

Postby sdf » April 12th, 2008, 3:13 am

Jesus Christ! What is your deal with the double jumping?! You've clearly played many video games before, and I am quite positive quite a few other games have double jumps.

voor

Postby voor » April 12th, 2008, 8:34 am

Besides, it's not 'jumping on air', it's double jump = one jump (ya'll can't do this in real life?

Of course, there are techniques so you can squeeze in any extra move or so to get back on the platform, but that's the charm of smash bros.

Looks so simple but very complex.

I'd say it's just as complex as Street Fighter, but on a totally different page.

Person

Postby Person » April 12th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Giving Star Fox Adventures an F is sheer ignorance. The game has astounding graphics for 2002, a pretty decent storyline, and a nice variety of areas to explore. Just because it's not a space shooter is no reason to give it an F. And the ET award is completely unwarranted. The game has scored in the 8-9 range in almost every gaming publication. The only things I didn't like about that game were the "combos" that were completely useless, and that fact that you could only hotkey a magic spell to the Y button, while X performed the useless "roll" feature.
It's a solid Zelda clone that deserves a second look.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 13th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Critic, I'm going to have to say that your Star Fox Adventures review is one of the worst on this site.  It's well written and you get your point across, but you judge the game all wrong...

Instead of giving people a review of what Star Fox Adventures is, you complain over and over again about what it is not.  Yes its not a on rails shooter like its predecessors,  but it is a halfway decent action adventure game.  Sure it won't blow you away, but the game is not broken, you can play it and have a pretty decent time.  Those that enjoy Zelda style games will certainly get enjoyment out of Star Fox Adventures.  Sure its no masterpiece, but rather its a mediocre entry into the genre.  Still it has its moments.

You aren't really grading the game as an action adventure, you are downgrading it for not being a shooter...in my eyes for a game reviewer that is wrong.  You should simply tell folks whats there and how it plays (which you do, but you sound jaded from the get go do to the designers choice of genre).  I normally see eye to eye with most of your stuff, but I wouldn't recommend this review to anyone interested in the game.

Return to “Review Feedback”