2008/4/10: GameCube: Star Fox Adventures, Super Smash Bros. Melee

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
sdf

Postby sdf » April 13th, 2008, 6:54 pm

I'm going to go ahead and say the Star Fox Adventures review is simply the worst review on the site. The game isn't great, but F reviews should be reserved for truly terrible games. Star Fox Adventures is decidedly mediocre, and a step down from other Star Fox games, but its not broken or poorly made, just boring. I have never seen the game get worst than a C by even the harshest reviewers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2008, 7:32 pm

When I first started reviewing Star Fox Adventures, I recognized its high production values, but the found it to be extremely dull.  I was thinking about a C-.

Every time I went back to play it, it felt like a chore.  I was making progress, and the world was expanding, but where was the fun?  My list of annoyances was getting really really long.  It was like everything I hated about 3D platform games rolled into one.  I decided it probably belonged in the D category.

The last time I played, I actually found myself becoming nauseous.  So I finally just went with my gut and said "hell with this - I'm giving it an F!"  Sometimes it's hard to enumerate why a game is bad.  But I hate it, so I have to give it an F.  If I gave it a higher grade just because it has high production values, or I heard that other people rated it higher, I'd just be lying to myself and the readers.

For the record, I would definitely rather play Smuggler's Run Warzones or the obnoxious Outlaw Golf - two other games I gave an F to on the GameCube. 

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 13th, 2008, 7:37 pm

[QUOTE=Person] The game has astounding graphics for 2002[/QUOTE]

Rating games higher because of their good graphics is like IGN giving Donkey Kong a low score because it "can be beaten in 5 minutes".

The only aspect of the game the score should reflect is "how fun is it". Good graphics does not equal fun.

Person

Postby Person » April 13th, 2008, 9:31 pm

The graphics were not all the game had going for it, though. It was a decent action/adventure game that fell short of Zelda but was better than some other games of its genre. A B- to C would be an accurate score for this game, but the F was entirely unwarranted, as was the ET award, because almost everybody scored it in the 8-9 range, making the Critic the "odd man out" in hating the game.

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » April 13th, 2008, 10:20 pm

How was the game making you sick?  How far into the game were you when you were feeling sick?

Some of the points made - bartering...no it's actually haggling.  But once you have bought all the maps and critical items you won't really need to go back in there to buy anything.  Once you've gotten the 50-scarab bag you will likely fill your stash, and buy all the maps then. 

Waiting for dinos to wake up, well usually you don't.  But the nights don't last very long.  Throwing barrels is tricky at times, but you get the hang of it.  Shooting with the staff is spot on so that makes up for it. 

And you're swimming against the current, you're going the wrong way!

The dino language, oh come on that's a major gripe?

sdf

Postby sdf » April 14th, 2008, 5:09 am

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=Person] The game has astounding graphics for 2002[/QUOTE]

Rating games higher because of their good graphics is like IGN giving Donkey Kong a low score because it "can be beaten in 5 minutes".

The only aspect of the game the score should reflect is "how fun is it". Good graphics does not equal fun.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, fun factor is the main thing that should go into determining a games score. However, I don't believe a game should get an F unless it is nearly unplayable. Star Fox Adventures is kind of boring, but in my experience with the game I never found a spot where it was frustrating because of poor design.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 14th, 2008, 9:23 am

I re-read what the critic wrote and just wanted to point out something from here.

I think I hate this game.  Oh yeah, I hate it.  The original Star Fox (SNES, 1993) was a 3D space shooter that stunned gamers with its cutting-edge polygon graphics.  A kick-ass sequel delivered more explosive action on the Nintendo 64 in 1997.  So why in the God's name did Rareware opt to transform the stellar series into some half-baked Zelda knock-off?!  Instead of flying over treacherous planet surfaces while blasting everything in sight, Adventures has Fox marooned on a planet of sickly dinosaurs.  When it comes to the history of bad ideas, this ranks right up there with "the new Coke".  If you think a dinosaur planet sounds compelling, keep in mind that these "beasts" look more like Barney than actual dinosaurs.

Which if you're going to judge the game because it's not an on rail shooter then you might as well give Mario Kart an F or Mario Golf an F for not following through on jumping on goombas.  This game wasn't designed to be a shooter. Heck, it wasn't even supposed to be in the Star Fox Verse until Nintendo directed Rare to do so.  Blame Nintendo for not starting a brand new franchise.

Phillip

Postby Phillip » September 3rd, 2008, 11:11 pm

Wanna know why you can't make it through Starfox Adventures, which made you give it an F? Here's why

YOU SUCK AT IT, AND OTHER GAMES LIKE IT!!!!

Man, what is wrong with you when it comes to stuff like this, I hope you play it again and give it a better score.  God, you make The Irate Gamer look good.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2008, 12:56 am

[QUOTE=Phillip]Wanna know why you can't make it through Starfox Adventures, which made you give it an F? Here's why

YOU SUCK AT IT, AND OTHER GAMES LIKE IT!!!!

Man, what is wrong with you when it comes to stuff like this, I hope you play it again and give it a better score.  God, you make The Irate Gamer look good.

[/QUOTE]

Rant much??

Unknownguy

Postby Unknownguy » September 7th, 2008, 9:02 pm

It's still better than Heavy Nova for the Genesis LOL!

Return to “Review Feedback”