2008/11/25: Atari 2600: Dig Dug, Mario Bros., Stella's Stocking

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Bruce

Postby Bruce » December 2nd, 2008, 3:54 pm

C'mon, let's get our facts straight. 
The AtariAge store was shut down in August (not 'most of this year') for a few weeks while Albert moved from Ohio to Texas.  The store has been back in operation and Albert has been taking orders since late September.

I haven't played SS... but there are many comments and reviews on AA.  Most of the reviews are positive (granted, what would you expect on an Atari fanboy site); you may not like the cart but it apparently isn't anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » December 3rd, 2008, 11:06 am

Well I'm glad you feel that way Bruce, go BUY Stella's Stocking. You'll get what you deserve

Bruce

Postby Bruce » December 3rd, 2008, 2:13 pm

Actually, I have bought a couple of games from AtariAge - but not Stella's Stocking.  I bought Seawolf and Ladybug, both of which are excellent.

Before I make a purchase, I do research and get facts.  Based on my research I knew I would enjoy the two carts I bought, and that Stella`s Stocking simply didn`t interest me.

Unlike some complainers, I don't invent untruths to support specious claims or try to win a weak argument. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 4th, 2008, 9:58 pm

[QUOTE=Bruce]

Unlike some complainers, I don't invent untruths to support specious claims or try to win a weak argument. 
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if that didn't happen we'd never get to read new posts by zen, feilong, or atarifever.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » December 5th, 2008, 1:29 pm

The bottomline is, I bought SS, I'm unhappy with it, and at the time, atariage message boards had topics about people being unhappy with the game as well. You don't own this game yet you say, I being an owner of SS, am wrong for saying it sucks?? I still say put your money where you mouth is, buy it, otherwise disagreeing with me carries no weight.

I didn't know that Albert was moving. But considering how late xmas orders came, and how polarizing SS's quality was, it's reasonable to assume the store was taken offline for awhile to make this year's xmas run smoother.

thrust261

Postby thrust261 » December 9th, 2008, 10:07 am

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]The bottomline is, I bought SS, I'm unhappy with it, and at the time, atariage message boards had topics about people being unhappy with the game as well.[/QUOTE]
Here is the main thread about Stella's Stocking. I can see people complaining about some of the games, but not about the whole collection in general. If you get 5 games for the price of 1, even if 4 would completely suck and only one would be great, you still would not pay too much.

[URL=http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121748]Stella's Stocking is brilliant![/URL]

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » December 9th, 2008, 2:59 pm

I'd compare Atari Age's reviews and impressions of homebrew games to 1980's Nintendo Power reviewing and speaking of first-party titles. This message board thread about SS, along with other SS message threads, stands out as a shock, as *some* people are being honest for once, and not saying SS is the best thing ever.

I buy my homebrews, my computer is too old and primitive to "try before you buy" when it comes to homebrews. I  judge homebrews just as I would any commerically released game. I've been an Atariage member for years, spent 100's and 100's of dollars over the years on homebrews at the Atariage store, but I never once have posted on the message boards, because I'm simply too truthfull, and  I'm  not shy about ripping homebrew games that I don't like. That doesn't jive with the politics there

thrust261

Postby thrust261 » December 9th, 2008, 3:49 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]I'd compare Atari Age's reviews and impressions of homebrew games to 1980's Nintendo Power reviewing and speaking of first-party titles. This message board thread about SS, along with other SS message threads, stands out as a shock, as *some* people are being honest for once, and not saying SS is the best thing ever. [/quote]
I have no problem with people being honest. Maybe you could provide some links?

[quote]I buy my homebrews, my computer is too old and primitive to "try before you buy" when it comes to homebrews.[/quote]
You mean, you don't even have a 14 years old 100 MHz AMD/Pentium I???

[quote]I  judge homebrews just as I would any commerically released game. I've been an Atariage member for years, spent 100's and 100's of dollars over the years on homebrews at the Atariage store, but I never once have posted on the message boards, because I'm simply too truthfull, and  I'm  not shy about ripping homebrew games that I don't like. That doesn't jive with the politics there.[/QUOTE]
People do not like unqualified bashing, that's true (and IMO ok). But if you provide *constructive* and fair critique, that should be no problem.

I would defend such a negative but qualified post if it gets attacked for being honest, even if I would not agree with the opinion.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » December 10th, 2008, 11:18 am

And I also love the fact how Atariage'rs never post here. But when I discuss a homebrew that I don't like, you guys pop out of the woodwork.

Such nasty politics when it comes to homebrew games. Nope, never posting on Atariage forums EVER. But I'll happily continue to poor money into the Atariage store. For every Stella's Stocking, there are three homebrew games I like

But right now, I'm feeling really bummed that the store isn't up and there isn't new stuff. It's getting awfull close to christmas. I'm worried

For me, the 2600 IS xmas. The 2600 was my very first console, and it was a christmas present. As an adult player/collector, the yearly Atariage store christmas special(limited edition xmas cart + new homebrew debuts) is the HIGHLIGHT  of  christmas for me.

Last year was a disappointment.

And now this year, it looks like there's not even gonna be a christmas speical

thrust261

Postby thrust261 » December 10th, 2008, 12:26 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]And I also love the fact how Atariage'rs never post here. But when I discuss a homebrew that I don't like, you guys pop out of the woodwork. [/QUOTE]
I do not "pop out of the woodwork", I post here quite a lot, especially when it comes to homebrews. And completely unrelated to your posts, so stop believing you are that important.

[QUOTE]Such nasty politics when it comes to homebrew games. [/QUOTE]
There are no nasty politics. Please stop generalizing that way.

[QUOTE]Nope, never posting on Atariage forums EVER. But I'll happily continue to poor money into the Atariage store. [/QUOTE]
If you don't post, maybe you should write reviews about the game you bought and have them posted in the store? Then you will find out if your theory is true or not.

[QUOTE]For every Stella's Stocking, there are three homebrew games I like [/QUOTE]
Agreed, there are good, average and bad homebrews (IMO there is at least one very good one in SS and one below average). And I am the last to call a bad or mediocre game "great" like so many people do. Check out Nathan Strum's blog on AA. He has done quite a lot of critical and balanced reviews, even giving some games well deserved 1/5 points. Yes, he got some negative responses, but because his reviews exactly describe why he doesn't like a game, he had no problems to counter those replies.

[QUOTE]But right now, I'm feeling really bummed that the store isn't up and there isn't new stuff.[/QUOTE]
The store is up and running. Just not prominently linked. Simply add /store to the AA url.

Return to “Review Feedback”