2/28/2006: Playstation 2: NHL 06, NHL 2K6, Torino 2006

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 28th, 2006, 10:51 pm

I'd like to hear how you like this set of reviews.
Please report any typos to me using the Feedback link.
Thanks
Dave

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » March 2nd, 2006, 3:30 am

before i talk about your review I have to say I bought MLB the Show06 for psp...yes that thing you dont have (too be honest your reasonings for not having it arent very good...you know your gonna get one sometime) and it is amazing.  Played for way too long tonight the wifi online is awesome and it has this feature that updates you on not only roster moves but news and goings on each day about EVERY mlb team even the royals.  with a live scrolling score ticker....read about it on reviews it might explain it better.  This experience being portable blows my mind

Anywoo......thanks for the torino suprise high score I've seen F, 2.5, D- ratings and almost didnt bother clicking on it...but B+ well good someone liked, I havent played it...but i did love the crap outta Nagano '98 for PSX although you didnt like that one very much if i remember your review. 

I wish people reviewing these games remember that olympic games are always gonna play like old school olympic games....its kinda like Hold'em poker games reviews at BEST 6 or 7 outta 10.  People dont understand after playing a Halflife-2 to a poker game then writing a review "well its almost got it right but its boring....blah blah..."  ITS POKER not Halo. seriously read reviews over the past 5 poker games to come out thats basically it.  I guess poker and olympic games are the red-headed step kids of Video games.  And most reviewers are the uncles that dis-own them and ignore'em at holiday get togethers. But glad you gave it a B+ (which is higher than Beyond Good and Evil's rating!!...oh Im still bitter and always will be until you re-review that) how'd you feel if your overall favorite CONSOLE game of all time got a B- on someones site who you highly respect

But anyway nice reviews.

p.s. tax return = arcade x-men 4 player  mid-life crisis purchase came early at 23

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2006, 5:55 am

Benjamin,
Don't feel bad.  A "B-" from the VGC is like an "A-" on any other site (or video game magazine).
Dave

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » March 3rd, 2006, 11:46 am

[QUOTE=Benjamin](too be honest your reasonings for not having it arent very good
[/QUOTE]

Oh i'm sorry, the useless UMD movies once the PSP dies. (Buy a DVD instead. Cheaper and better.)

The crap games. Mostly ports from the PS1 and PS2. Even GTA LCS is getting ported to the PS2. The only good game is Lumines.

The crap browser. The DS is getting a browser, but there's a difference. It has a stylus.

The expensive gigabytes sticks for it.

Hmm, what's wrong with the PSP.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » March 3rd, 2006, 10:21 pm

I still really enjoy the psp and think the critic would too. thats all . I love the browser, the rss, the games I own for it and the umds i have as well. work great with my playgear amp.  If the critic doesnt buy a psp within the next year or two then I'll eat crow but i bet he will.  Just look at the left side of the screen...he enjoys all gaming systems

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » March 4th, 2006, 3:21 am

[QUOTE=Benjamin]I still really enjoy the psp and think the critic would too. thats all . I love the browser, the rss, the games I own for it and the umds i have as well. work great with my playgear amp.  If the critic doesnt buy a psp within the next year or two then I'll eat crow but i bet he will.  Just look at the left side of the screen...he enjoys all gaming systems
[/QUOTE]

He doesn't own all of the old consoles.(Commodore 64.)

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 4th, 2006, 4:42 am

Zen I am sorry but you are wrong.

I do not own a PSP or a DS but give me a PSP out of the two anyday.

Portable DVD players are still very large and a DVD alone is bigger than the PSP.  Those things just aren't practical to take with you on a journey.

Also the games on the PSP are awesome.  I was lucky enough to play a couple on a store's demo unit.  The game are much better than the constant gimmicky rubbish I keep seeing on the DS.  The games using the touch screen are so basic.  I mean who for example is going to sit there on the train shouting objection at the game or blowing into a microphone?  Would you do that in public on your way to work?  Especially when potential clients could be in the same train as you?  You would be made so much fun off.

You talk about bad games?  Well compare Ridge Racer DS with the amazing PSP version.

And the PSP screen is sooooooo beautiful.  My girlfriend and I couldn't believe the quality.  We just stood there watching it run a WipEout Pure demo for ages.  The fact it is widescreen makes it great for shooters.  I was never willing to damage my TV by turning it on its side to play in TATE mode but with the PSP you can .

Let's address the games issue:

Lumines (Wow! I haven't played such a stylish puzzle game since Tetrisphere)

Mercury (beautiful, wonderful and utterly unique)

WipEout Pure (WIPEOUT IS BACK!!!!!! I even bought the soundtrack.  This game is 100% awesome)

Ridge Racer (what more needs to be said about one of the best racing game series ever)

Metal Gear Acid (a unique take that makes for a good strategy game)

Darkstalkers Chronicles (finally a port of this game, I own the DC version and it ends up looking really bad on the tv because it only allows aerial connections so this is practically a new game)

Coded Arms (nice)

Exit (have you seen this amazing game?! I haven't played it yet but it looks great)

Infected

Tokobot

GTA:Liberty City (another gta game = great)

And that's just naming a few of my favourites.

But let's not forget here the PSP allows you to play MP3s, watch movies and play games all on the same system.  You don't need to buy the gigabyte stick to play mp3s, given that you can fit a whole album on 50Mb.  If I have a DS I also need to carry around my MP3 player too.  But if I have my DS in my pocket where do I put my mp3 player?  The DS just means you have to carry a ton more stuff around with you.  When you are on the Underground that isn't practical because something will either break or get stolen.

The PSP also lets you do emulation if that's your bag so it effectively has all the MegaDrive and SNES games on it too.

Boston

Postby Boston » March 4th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Hey Blue Monkey,

I think in order to make a fair comparison you have to own each or at least have spent a lot of time playing both of them. I love my DS but I am not as wowed by it as most on this site. Between the two I would have to give the nod to the DS b/c it has better (factor in GBA games) games and to me that is what is all about. I would agree with you that some of the DS features are more of a gimmick then anything else but I have to confess that it does offer new gaming experiences that won't be found on any other system. Also, you mention the MP3 player capabilities? I use my MP3 player at the gym, like most gym rats, and I would never be able to bring my PSP to the gym; it just wouldn't work b/c it's too big and rather fragile. Peace!

Boston

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 4th, 2006, 2:43 pm

I have spent time on both machines, though of course not enough to make complete judgements.  I just get a bit tired of the constant flaming that the PSP receives on the internet.  I mean they both have good games and both offer different things.  It's just the Nintendo crowd seem to feel the need to bash the PSP a great deal more than the PSP crowd do towards the DS.  I didn't mean to imply I think the DS does not have any good games or anything like that.

Boston

Postby Boston » March 4th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Hey blue monkey..

I agree with you. I don't understand why the PSP gets beat up all the time either. It does have some really cool games. I think what hurts its sales is the price point; its too rich for most peoples blood. I am fortunate enough to do pretty well for myself and I still have a hard time justifying spending another $300 (after a game or two) on a portable system. I am sure I will get one sooner or later......

Boston

Return to “Review Feedback”