2009/3/7: Xbox 360: Gears of War 2, NCAA Basketball 09

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 9th, 2009, 10:37 am

Critic, you didn't have a review section for your newly reviewed games, so I thought I'd help you out.

Just a couple of comments and observation on your gears 2 review.

Gears 2 - The active reload option isn't new.  It was in the first game.  What is new is that there are different weapons that have a different optimized section for the active reload.  But the concept was in the first one and functioned the exact same way in the sequel.

Regarding coop and selecting your last checkpoint, I didn't have any problems at all hosting an online coop game.  Shawn and I were able to go through the entire game over xbox live on the insane difficulty.  I just hosted and never changed the 'continue from last checkpoint' option.  I could see the problem if you were starting a "new" saved game every time or you were swapping back and forth as to who hosted.

Lastly, some of the best parts of Gears 2 was the Panzer Dragoon levels and Horde mode.  It's you and whomever else you can get to join in against wave after wave of increasingly kick ass boomers, drones, grenadiers, kantus, snipers, tickers, blood mounts, and wretches.

Nice review though.  Keep up the good work.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 9th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Actraiser, thanks for the comments.  I will definitely fix the part about the active reload.  As for the online mode, you know what they say: "game experience may change on-line", meaning you might find yourself levitating in the air.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » March 10th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Actually, the ESRB recently changed the "game experience may change online" warning.  It's now "online interactions not rated by the ESRB," which I guess is the next best thing after my suggestion; "despite this game's rating, you may still be sworn/threatened/racially attacked by others when playing online."

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » March 10th, 2009, 9:52 pm

I really like the detail about Gears of War II regarding the main character's backpack having more detail than you could ever hope to absorb. That one sentence really expressed the intensity of the game's detail-drenched graphics.

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » March 11th, 2009, 11:04 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Actraiser, thanks for the comments.  I will definitely fix the part about the active reload.  As for the online mode, you know what they say: "game experience may change on-line", meaning you might find yourself levitating in the air.
[/QUOTE]

I have logged about 40 to 50 hours of online time (mostly Horde mode) and it has been incredible. Of course, there have been glitches here and there but it has been a lot of fun. And, the whole notion of the Gears 2 online experience being jam packed with racial slurs and immature teenagers (or adults for that matter) is grossly overstated. As a matter of fact, of the 600 plus rounds I have played there was only ONE instance where this happened to me.

You are truly missing out on one of the best video game experiences of not only 2008 but ever! Horde mode is addictive and the emphasis on team work is incredible. It is truly sad that you are stuck in the stoneage when it comes to this sort of thing.

A while ago I  posted a thread asking "Has the VGC lost relevancy" and I think I asked the wrong question. I should have asked "are the VGC's reviews complete? thorough? meaningful? I think they are when it comes to retro gaming but as for the 360 and PS3 lineups they cleary are not. The review of Gears 2 is incomplete. It is like discussing current affairs without mentioning the economy.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » March 11th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Re Gears 2 -- why no mention of the awesome Horde mode? This can be played cooperatively offline, via splitscreen. It's a ton of fun, and from what I've read before, right up your alley.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Okay guys - you win.  I will try the Horde mode next time my buddy Steve is over. 

What is this "economy" you speak of??

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2009, 10:26 pm

I want to thank those of you who alerted me to the Horde mode in Gears of War 2.  I started playing that with my buddy Steve last night, and before you know it he was like "Dude - it's 12 o clock!"

That mode is relentless and insane, and hard to stop playing! 

Even so, did you know we actually ran into a few irritating bugs?  At the beginning of some waves, I was stuck with an odd camera angle and my guy would move and shoot automatically for a while, before I finally regained control.  Happened to Steve a few times too.

So even with the Horde mode, the bugs keep the game an even A.

I will modify the review however.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 18th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Dave, there's been a couple of bug fixes for Gears 2.  The most recent cleared up a number of issues relating to multiplier.  Have you booted up gears while being online?  It will automatically prompt you for the update.  If so this may not be an issue any longer.  At least it runs fine for me now.

Return to “Review Feedback”