2009/4/21: Super Nintendo: Brett Hull Hockey 95, Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City, NHL 94

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2009/4/21: Super Nintendo: Brett Hull Hockey 95, Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City, NHL 94

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 21st, 2009, 7:51 pm

These are some fairly timely reviews, considering it's the NBA and NHL playoffs (yeah, I watch that stuff).  Brett Hull 95 is a brand new review, and I updated my NHL 95 review as a basis of comparison.  The Michael Jordan review is brand new.  Let's hear your thoughts.

missingno

Postby missingno » April 21st, 2009, 10:39 pm

Funny you review NHL '94, I obtained the Genesis port Saturday.

Luke

Postby Luke » April 22nd, 2009, 3:05 am

I agree with the Brett Hull Hockey review. But not so much the NHL 94 review. I personally think that the SNES version is greatly superior to the Genesis port in the gameplay department. To me, the Genesis version is much slower and less fun. I liked NHLPA Hockey 93 on the Genny a lot more than 94.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » April 22nd, 2009, 8:23 am

I am in full agreement with your Brett Hull Hockey and Michael Jordan reviews, but disagree with your NHL '94 review. I've played both versions and the SNES is the superior one. If anything, you should have given this version an A and the Genesis version a B. The SNES version is slightly slower, but the animation and sound is superior.

On a side note, if you think NHL '94 is unrealistically quiet, I invite you to come up here and watch a high level hockey game. The crowds are usually so quiet you can hear conversations between the referee and players. If anything, EA actually has the proper crowd noise volume in comparison to the hockey games I attend live.

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » April 22nd, 2009, 3:44 pm

Michael Jordan appeared in the Space Jam basketball games.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » April 23rd, 2009, 12:54 am

MJ and his signature "air reverse" also appeared in the EA's Bulls vs. Lakers/Lakers vs. Celtics games for the Genesis.

Chris D.

Postby Chris D. » April 23rd, 2009, 10:10 am

NHL 94 on the SNES blew me away when it first came out. I had a TV with a built in VHS recorder (remember those?) and I used to tape some of my games and watch them later. I was so obsessed with the game that I convinced myself that the different position players actually looked different from one another. Who can forget their first time checking an opposing player into the bench? I remember mastering the one timers long before I could aim my shots and score on every breakaway. I didn't even try to play the Genesis version until after I'd mastered the SNES version (about 6 months later). To me, the SNES version was always superior. Everybody kept saying how the Genesis version was "faster", but I could never see it myself. I also loved the graphics and better colors on the SNES version, which is why I'll always see it as clearly better than the Genesis version. I'd give it an A+. It's easily my favorite sports titles of all time, and maybe only behind the original Contra and Metal Gear Solid for favorite game of all time.

andrew

Postby andrew » April 23rd, 2009, 3:46 pm

I've been playing nhl 94 on the SNES these past few days and while its great and shouldn't have lost its original A score Critic, how people can post here and say the speed difference is barely noticeable is astonishing. Even more so considering most forum goers play games running at 60fps.

When I went from 60fps playing Grand Prix Challenge on the PS2 back to Nascar 06 running at 30fps on the PS2, I clearly noticed the difference. NASCAR felt considerably slower That's the same kind of difference I see between the SNES and Genesis version. It is true that you get used to the slower speed as the game action starts flowing you don't notice as much but its there.

The SNES makes better use of the extra buttons for the game but overall the Genesis version is easily superior in my eyes.

For me
SNES version: A
Genesis: A+

Stalvern

Re: 2009/4/21: Super Nintendo: Brett Hull Hockey 95, Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City, NHL 94

Postby Stalvern » February 2nd, 2019, 1:35 am

Any chance of a review for the Genesis version of Brett Hull Hockey 95? It has an isometric perspective instead of the SNES version's ridiculous angle.

Return to “Review Feedback”