2009/5/29: Super Nintendo: Blazeon, Choplifter 3, F-Zero

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » May 31st, 2009, 11:56 am

[QUOTE=Luke] You see, that's the problem - you just played it for the first time recently. This game was released in 1991, it didn't just come out yesterday. So you really can't expect it to have much "substance."

Also, keep in mind that this game came out a year before Super Mario Kart, and four years before Wipeout (PS1).

In a sense, what Doom is to first-person shooters.. F-Zero is to futuristic race games. It's the Grandaddy.

[/QUOTE]
With regards to the review itself though, the Critic has made it clear that he reviews and judges games based on how fun they are to play, and to a lesser extent how they stack up against other games for the same console - how old or recent they are has little to do with it.  You can't give a game a higher grade simply because it happens to be old and you can't expect it to have x, y, or z.
Sudz

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 31st, 2009, 1:09 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]

In a sense, what Doom is to first-person shooters.. F-Zero is to futuristic race games. It's the Grandaddy.

[/QUOTE]
The obvious difference being that Doom is still fun.

Luke

Postby Luke » May 31st, 2009, 2:03 pm

[QUOTE=Sudz][QUOTE=Luke] You see, that's the problem - you just played it for the first time recently. This game was released in 1991, it didn't just come out yesterday. So you really can't expect it to have much "substance." Also, keep in mind that this game came out a year before Super Mario Kart, and four years before Wipeout (PS1). In a sense, what Doom is to first-person shooters.. F-Zero is to futuristic race games. It's the Grandaddy. [/QUOTE] With regards to the review itself though, the Critic has made it clear that he reviews and judges games based on how fun they are to play, and to a lesser extent how they stack up against other games for the same console - how old or recent they are has little to do with it. [/QUOTE]I'm sorry, but age DOES play a major factor here. If you're like the one guy who said on here that he "just played it for the first time recently," then you're going to have all these preconceptions and expectations going into playing it. But you need to keep in mind that upon it's release there wasn't anything out there like this so when you play it now YOU ARE going to judge it by later 3D racing games like Super Mario Kart and Wipeout.

It's true that some games just hold up better than others, and those are in fact what many of us consider to be "true classics." But whether you want to believe it or not, if you've grown accustomed to a certain style of gameplay in a genre like.. say, First-Person Shooters, and you love playing Half-Life, Halo, Far Cry, Resistance, etc. then there is a GREAT possibility that you may go back and play a game like Doom and not ENJOY it as much (or at all) because it's different that what you're used to and it doesn't have the nice graphics and the plethora of options.
I think the Critic does a good job with his reviews and I'm sure he does take age into account sometimes. But really I'm just commenting on how most people in general perceive older games.

You ever see a young kid pick up an N64 controller at a used game store and within minutes he says, "This game sucks! Look at the horrible graphics!" He's grown accustomed to high-definition graphics with an improved style of gameplay. Games have changed a lot over the years and I do think you have to take their age into account because you may not like playing them as much now as you would have ten or twenty years ago. I mean, does that not make sense to you? I don't think I could explain it any better.

a1

Postby a1 » May 31st, 2009, 5:28 pm

I'm with the critic. A fun game deserves a good score, and a not fun game doesn't. I personally think F Zero is fun enough to merit a C, but I don't think it deserves anything higher. As far as an old game like Doom not being as advanced as other first person shooters I have this to say. I had not played Doom until very recently and it is very fine, despite the dated graphics. I think it deserves an A due to being very well designed and fun. Wolfenstein 3d however, I think is not as much fun, and I would give it a B.

Jake

Postby Jake » July 14th, 2009, 10:36 am

Hmmm, I'm surprised there's so many F-Zero fans,
I never heard anyone mention this game in school,
was all about the ZELDA in 1991-92. Anyway,
I played F-ZERO when it was somewhat new, rented it from the local video store. I liked listening to the music and hearing the crashing noises of the car/s. It was sorta fun, but I didn't get into it much. It hasn't changed much today, still feels the same way to me. I don't think it's worth A/B grade.
I dont really feel nostalgic re-playing it these days, but I'll try it again soon.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » September 27th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Oh, my god. A logical person exists, hey everybody, THERE IS SOMEONE WHO IS LOGICAL, finally, justice for F-zero.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » October 9th, 2012, 5:24 pm

I played F-Zero when it was new. It took me years to ever trust another racing game. Overrated seems a fair evaluation to me.

Robotrek

Re: 2009/5/29: Super Nintendo: Blazeon, Choplifter 3, F-Zero

Postby Robotrek » September 12th, 2018, 7:45 pm

I still fail to see the hype behind F-Zero, and the love. Even back in the 90's I thought it was all pretty graphics and not much content.

Return to “Review Feedback”