2009/5/29: Super Nintendo: Blazeon, Choplifter 3, F-Zero

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 30th, 2009, 11:17 am

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]"The objective is to obtain a number one ranking in a series of circuits of increasing difficulty."

Thank you Captain Obvious!

[/QUOTE]

Whoops I forget to mention that playing the game requires you push various buttons! 

BuryMe1

Postby BuryMe1 » May 30th, 2009, 11:29 am

Good job on your F-Zero review. The game just has no compelling substance. I played it for the first time a little while ago, and honestly, there's just nothing there. I played the races a few time and just lost inerest. It gets old so fast that a D is perfectly deserved.

Don't let nostalgia cloud your perspective. That game is nothing special

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » May 30th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Spot on with the F-Zero review. One of the most overhyped games of that generation. Never understood why such a vanilla racing game could garner so much praise. Most likely it was due to the fact that when F-Zero was released, there wasn't much else to pick from on the SNES at that point. When the pickings are slim, people can tend to grow fond of what would normally be sub-par games. Heck I'm a good example, I like quite a few Jaguar games, that which in the great pantheon of gaming, are below average to put it nicely.

Collision Cat

Postby Collision Cat » May 30th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Gem? Relic? Sounds like someone's in the mood for some Crash Bandicoot! =P

Chris D.

Postby Chris D. » May 30th, 2009, 9:14 pm

I couldn't disagree with you more on F-ZERO. As far as outdated graphics, I bought in on the Wii Virtual Console and I play it on a 10' projector screen and it still looks awesome. In fact, I prefer it over the N64 and Gamecube versions.

Maybe it's nostalgia that distorts my thinking since I loved F-ZERO so much when it first came out, but comparing it to all the other games that actually deserve D ratings, it just seems ridiculous that the game doesn't at least get a C, though I would give it an A.

As far as no substance try beating the whole thing on in all the different classes. It's not an easy feat, and takes a lot of practice for most people.

To me it's like Enduro for the 2600 -- it's one of those timeless classics that I never really get tired of and always come back to.

Luke

Postby Luke » May 31st, 2009, 12:06 am

[QUOTE=BuryMe]Good job on your F-Zero review. The game just has no compelling substance. I played it for the first time a little while ago, and honestly, there's just nothing there. I played the races a few time and just lost inerest. It gets old so fast that a D is perfectly deserved. Don't let nostalgia cloud your perspective. That game is nothing special [/QUOTE]You see, that's the problem - you just played it for the first time recently. This game was released in 1991, it didn't just come out yesterday. So you really can't expect it to have much "substance."

Also, keep in mind that this game came out a year before Super Mario Kart, and four years before Wipeout (PS1).

In a sense, what Doom is to first-person shooters.. F-Zero is to futuristic race games. It's the Grandaddy.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » May 31st, 2009, 1:51 am

[QUOTE=Chris D. ]
As far as no substance try beating the whole thing on in all the different classes. It's not an easy feat, and takes a lot of practice for most people.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think you are confusing "substance" with "content" or "replay value" 

Danthor

Postby Danthor » May 31st, 2009, 2:46 am

F-Zero D? Hmm.

Myself, I dunno. I have such a blast when I play it, even at the higher levels. I love the gameplay and I've always been a huge sucker for F-Zero's soundtrack. But the problems I do notice are kinda glaring. I completely agree on your point about the laps, 5 is just too much. I also realize it was a really early SNES title, but where and when has a competetive racing game with NO multiplayer been a good idea? It could have been so much better just having that feature alone. In spite of my love for it, I'd give it a solid C. But that's just me.

LS6501

Postby LS6501 » May 31st, 2009, 10:38 am

A 'D' ?
Personally I enjoy F-Zero and think it's a pretty good racing game.  Sure, the graphics look dated now, but in comparison with other 16-bit games of its era it looks great.
I'd give it a much higher rating, say at least a 'B'.

BuryMe1

Postby BuryMe1 » May 31st, 2009, 11:55 am

[QUOTE=Luke][QUOTE=BuryMe]Good job on your F-Zero review. The game just has no compelling substance. I played it for the first time a little while ago, and honestly, there's just nothing there. I played the races a few time and just lost inerest. It gets old so fast that a D is perfectly deserved. Don't let nostalgia cloud your perspective. That game is nothing special [/QUOTE]You see, that's the problem - you just played it for the first time recently. This game was released in 1991, it didn't just come out yesterday. So you really can't expect it to have much "substance."

Also, keep in mind that this game came out a year before Super Mario Kart, and four years before Wipeout (PS1).

In a sense, what Doom is to first-person shooters.. F-Zero is to futuristic race games. It's the Grandaddy.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, so I formed my opinion without being clouded by nostalgia like most of the people complaining are. Other games from the era were miles better than F-Zero. It is just very over rated and, well, boring.

Return to “Review Feedback”