2009/8/15: NES: Ghostbusters 2, Nintendo World Cup, Soccer

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2009, 1:36 pm

The Ghostbusters review parade continues.  This one is a little different, so check out the review.

The two soccer reviews have been a long time coming.

Now let's hear what you have to say.

Damon Plus

Postby Damon Plus » August 15th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Nintendo World Cup a D-, and Soccer a B-. You might be one of only 3 people in the world that thinks like that. Soccer is very, very outdated. Have you seen the speed at which the players move?

The "naps" your opponents take in NWC, is because you've given them so many tackles they don't have stamina anymore. Try doing that with a team like Italy, Germany or Argentina and see if you can succeed.

Also, what's so hard about the controls? When you don't have the ball, B is for your teammates shooting, and A is for passing (or vice-versa, I don't remember it). When you have the ball, A is for passing, and B for shooting. What is so complicated about it? Your head would be about to explode when you play a game with more than 2 buttons.

There's time like this I don't understand why a game gets a bad score, really.

Damon Plus

Postby Damon Plus » August 15th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Nintendo World Cup a D-, and Soccer a B-. You might be one of only 3 people in the world that thinks like that. Soccer is very, very outdated, and the players move veeeery slow.

The "naps" your opponents take in NWC, is because you've given them so many tackles they don't have stamina anymore. Try doing that with a team like Italy, Germany or Argentina and see if you can succeed.

Also, what's so hard about the controls? When you don't have the ball, B is for your teammates shooting, and A is for passing (or vice-versa, I don't remember it). When you have the ball, A is for passing, and B for shooting. What is so complicated about it? Your head would be about to explode when you play a game with more than 2 buttons.

There's time like this I don't understand why a game gets a bad score, really.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 15th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Whoa ,a D to Nintendo World Cup? It's quite different from most other soccer games, but it's very offensive- and arcade-oriented, rewarding aggressive play and unsportsmanship behavior. It's one of the most entertaining soccer games I've ever played - I think you definitely missed the boat on this one.

[QUOTE]On the field, the first thing you'll notice is the goofy-looking players, which reminded me of those in Super Dodge Ball (NES, 1988).[/QUOTE]

They are the same characters, actually. It's the same series, though you wouldn't know from the (utterly ridiculous) renaming these games went through in the localization progress - you'd think it would be in the publisher's best interest to raise people's awareness of the series rather than pretend it's all a bunch of unrelated games that just happen to share similiar graphics. You'll also find the characters in Renegade (where they look extremely different from the other games, yes), River City Ransom/Street Gangs, Crash and the Boys: Street Challenge, and a whole lot of sadly Japanese-exclusive games, including an absolutely brilliant hockey game.

Nicholas Pozega

Postby Nicholas Pozega » August 15th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Any plans to review the Genesis Ghostbusters game, Critic? I've heard thats actually the best version, and like Ghostbusters 2 on NES, it's a side scroller, but MUCH more fun, and more polished at that! Seriously, track it down and give it a try, and try and get these Genesis games as well:

Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker-He's still relevant, so why not give this licensed classic a try?

Ristar-You've played this on Sega Genesis Collection, so you probably know what to expect from the Genesis version

Vectorman 2-^Read above

Rocket Knight Adventures-One of the Sega Genesis's finest action platformers, and one of Konami's most underrated games! Seriously, there is no excuse for you not to have this game or have played it! Track it down and give it a shot, critic!

Sparkster (Rocket Knight Adventures 2)-The sequel to the previous game, i have yet to play it however. (NOTE: Also, another Sparkster game was released for the SNES under the same name, and although it's in the same series, it's a very different game from the Genesis version, and plays much more like the original Rocket Knight Adventures-i recommend you give SNES Sparkster a try too!)

Samael

Postby Samael » August 15th, 2009, 8:04 pm

You needed to cheat in order to make any progress, and you described it as "an ordeal"..

B-.

For once, I find myself wishing you'd given Ghostbusters 2 the big nasty F of doom. Is the license it's saving grace, or are the early stages A+ material? I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the other Ghostbusters 2 game for the NES, if at all possible...most people consider it a vast improvement. 

As for the soccer games, I can only give a tip of the hat to Adamant. He said everything that needed said...good post.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » August 16th, 2009, 4:02 pm

[QUOTE=Samael ]I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the other Ghostbusters 2 game for the NES, if at all possible...most people consider it a vast improvement. 
[/QUOTE]

Is there another one for NES? Because based on the looks of it at MobyGames, it seems that the other one is on Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC, and Atari 2600, but not NES.

As far as the reviews, very nice, but I think there's a typo in the Nintendo World Cup review, with the date on Soccer being 1995 instead of the correct 1985 that its review was labeled with.

Ruudos1

Postby Ruudos1 » August 16th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Yes, there's another Ghostbusters game for NES.

It's by HAL and called "New Ghostbusters II". It was released in Europe, but not in the US. That's a shame for you Americans because it's a really fun title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7rIzJXSk7g

Kryptonite_Bullet

Postby Kryptonite_Bullet » August 20th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I'm surprised nobody noticed in Nintendo World Cup that the players look the same as the characters from River City Ransom.  Both games were made by the same companies.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 21st, 2009, 12:19 pm

As I mentioned above, the ARE the same characters, the English releases of the Nekketsu games just decided to give the games completely unrelated names and change a bunch of names around, because... uh, franchises don't sell? Hell, I don't know either. It's such a ridiculously idiotic move.

Return to “Review Feedback”