2010/5/22: Dreamcast: Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Tomb Raider: Chronicles

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 22nd, 2010, 11:38 am

I revised my Crazy Taxi reviews, which were over ten years old.  My impressions are basically the same, but these reviews contain more detail.  The Tomb Raider review is new.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » May 22nd, 2010, 12:40 pm

Crazy Taxi is my favorite arcade game ever, and I bought a Dreamcast just to play it. Had that been the only DC game ever released, I would still be satisfied with my purchase. Luckily, the DC had tons of great games after that. It's just a shame that none of the Crazy Taxi sequels could live up to the original. Also, the DC controller becomes painful after a few hours so the Gamecube version of CT is my current favorite.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » May 23rd, 2010, 12:41 pm

Played Crazy Taxi 2 at a Toys R Us on 9/10/01 (scary right?) and it sold me on getting a Dreamcast that November! Enjoyed Crazy Taxi in the arcades very much too! I actually enjoy the sequel more, once you complete the Crazy Pyramid and unlock the maps, the vehicles, and the original 4 cabbies from the first game! I can get over 10K easy on CT2..... The erratic direction arrow is due to the fact a lot of the game takes place on the elevated highways that connects both ends of the city and the destination is sometimes directly BELOW you so it has you go AROUND on the roads to get to that lower point and many times you just cant jump down to the dropoff points. The key in CT2 is knowing when you CAN. Also, due to the "block" nature of the city, there are certain routes that you can only approach in one direction, and the arrow TRIES to guide you to it.

Not too surprised the other Tomb Raider game on the DC is as abysmal as The Last Revelation was. I still maintain that TR Legend is the best game in the entire series, and your review seemed to agree with me.

J Dubs

Postby J Dubs » May 25th, 2010, 8:05 am

I too bought a DC simply for Crazy Taxi. That game provided hours of entertainment. It may be simplistic now, but you cannot deny the fun. It is a shame that Crazy Taxi 2 was not nearly as good.

Critic, you mention nothing about the minigames. I think it was called "Crazy Box" or something like that. I had a lot of fun with those, so I'm curious if you tried them.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » May 25th, 2010, 10:51 am

so how does crazy taxi get an A- rather than a straight A?

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 25th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I think the original Crazy Taxi deserves at least an A grade.  It's easily one of the best games available for the Dreamcast and I would argue it's one of the best games ever made.

In terms of sheer arcade brilliance it's hard to top Crazy Taxi.  This game has that "one more game" quality that you just don't see in modern games outside of online FPS.  Gather a few friends show them the basics of the game and getting ready to waste hours in front of the TV.  Back in college my roommate and I would literally play this game until our thumbs were sore. 

I wish Sega still made classics like this...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2010, 4:56 pm

There are several things going against it:
- the spinning of tires when you accelerate after you pick up a passenger
- the drift controls are not well designed
- tend to drive the same routes over and over.
- music gets repetitive
- hard to earn higher than a D grade in rankings

None of these are major, but together I think they bring it down to A- territory.
Still, it's clearly a premiere game for the system, and the best pick-up-and-play title by far.

Damon Plus

Postby Damon Plus » May 26th, 2010, 5:30 pm

The spinning of the tires is just one realistic trait of cars, isn't it? Also, hard to get more than a D rank? What is that, 5,000$? With a bit of practice, I was getting more than 20,000$ easily, and I'm not that good (my highest score was 38,000$)

matmico399

Re: 2010/5/22: Dreamcast: Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Tomb Raider: Chronicles

Postby matmico399 » November 9th, 2021, 8:54 pm

I never even knew this game until my son introduced to me back around 2014 I think. Wow this game has it all! Released on the Dreamcast I couldn't believe how great this game was. I was like wow this is what it was like to play a great arcade game. It has arcade flavor all over it. An A-is a great score. But considering how great it is I would even rate this one an A+. I just revisited tonight and I just can't explain how incredibly fun and excellent it was. One of the best ever.

Return to “Review Feedback”