2010/11/20: Genesis: Air Buster, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Street Smart

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 20th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Air Buster and Street Smart are two new Genesis reviews.  Ghouls and Ghosts is an update which I decided to post because I had been playing the game a lot lately.  Timeless fun!  Comments are encouraged.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » November 20th, 2010, 12:22 pm

A trio of 3 fine late 80s arcade ports for the Genesis.

Nothing can beat the arcade Air Buster (and its difficulty!) but the Genesis version looks pretty good. I also hear the TG-16 version has a slight edge as well.

I never played the first G n G, just the SNES version, which builds on this one ever so slightly, from what I see. Were there extreme slowdown issues on the Genesis?

Street Smart looks REAL bad. The original SNK (pre Neo) version had a bit more detail. and BETTING? OMG the children!!!!

Luke

Postby Luke » November 20th, 2010, 2:21 pm

I remember playing Street Smart (1989) in the arcades. It was definitely the best arcade fighting game until Street Fighter II (1991) came out.

Violence Fight (1989) by Taito was another fighting game that was out about the same time as Street Smart. But I never saw it in any of my local arcades - so I wasn't able to play it at that time. But it did feature gameplay similar to Street Smart in which you had full control of your character - in eight directions.

Pit Fighter (1990) also later featured this same style of gameplay. But I don't think it was nearly as good/fun as Street Smart.

Bluwguy93

Postby Bluwguy93 » November 20th, 2010, 2:47 pm

The Saturday Special!

Great reviews (no surprise there). Ghoul's n ghosts is a timeless classic. I really want air buster new. Street Smart si a game I recall that got some good reviews back in the day, so it probably didn't age well.

DJC1

Postby DJC1 » November 20th, 2010, 8:03 pm

I never knew that Street Smart was released on the Genesis.  I used to play the SNK arcade version while waiting for the bus in junior high school and later the emulated arcade version on the PC.

The Gen version definitely looks (and sounds) rough around the edges.

gilly

Postby gilly » November 20th, 2010, 8:20 pm

critic have you played the tg-16 version of air buster?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » November 21st, 2010, 2:16 am

[QUOTE=gilly]critic have you played the tg-16 version of air buster?

[/QUOTE]

He has. He's also reviewed it:

http://www.videogamecritic.net/t16ad.htm#Aero_Blasters

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 21st, 2010, 9:26 am

Great classic reviews Critic.........one point though.

I do not think the GENESIS version of GHOLS AND GHOSTS deserves an "Arthur" award!!!!!!! It is NOT that hard a game.......certainly nowhere near as impossible as the NES and SNES games.

I bought this game when it first game out......except for the flicker, I thought it was absolutely arcade perfect.......the graphics were JAW-DROPPING for their time. And the music was great too.

However.......I managed to beat this in less than a week. Not very hard, even the second quest. G&G is no harder than STRIDER.

If you want an IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT Genny game, try FIST OF THE NORTH STAR, aka LAST BATTLE.......OH......MY...GOD, that was hard. I was a good gamer back then, yet I never made it past stage two. ONE LIFE!? ARGH!
Too bad because it had HUGE fighters.......though it was plauged with slowdown too.

gilly

Postby gilly » November 21st, 2010, 1:06 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=gilly]critic have you played the tg-16 version of air buster?

[/QUOTE]

He has. He's also reviewed it:

http://www.videogamecritic.net/t16ad.htm#Aero_Blasters

[/QUOTE]

Oh it had a different title?!

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » November 22nd, 2010, 9:36 am

Ghouls n' Ghosts is a Genesis masterpiece.  Music, graphics, gameplay, eerie feel; Capcom knows how to make a good game.  In the early days of Genesis, in was all about having the arcade in your house, and this game definitely feels like an arcade game.

Overall, I think it's the easiest of the series.  Instead of dying a thousand times, you'll probably only die hundreds of times.

By the way, the tongue stage gets easy after a while, once you find a nice pattern. 

Return to “Review Feedback”