2011/2/1: NES: Dragon Warrior, Sky Shark

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 1st, 2011, 9:10 pm

RPG alert!  The Hawk-man is at it once again with a fresh review of an old classic, Dragon Warrior.  As a sweet bonus, you get a re-review of Sky Shark which takes into account some of your comments.

Okay, now it's your turn to discuss these games and critique our reviews!  Don't be shy.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » February 1st, 2011, 9:53 pm

Agreed on the Sky Shark. I see it still has the hidden gem icon. Well deserved.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » February 1st, 2011, 9:59 pm

Shy? Ha!

Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, were both an introduction to many NES players of the RPG I am sure. The pull out guide in the Nov/Dec '89 issue of Nintendo Power did it for me (and their subsequent DW giveaway as a subscription offer to many others) I beat the game at level 21, because I couldn't stand all the grinding I had to do not only for experience, but for that expensive pre-"Erdrick" equipment! I also beat the Green Dragon guarding the princess with 2 "Critical" hits with the CLUB of all weapons. Lucky me, didn't have to grind there!

The save point issue isn't one when you get the RETURN spell, really. I know it's annoying to still have to do it early on with no way to restore MP but the Inns, but yeah. It would be YEARS later before we saw items for that!

Sky Shark was always one of my favorites, in the arcade, and the solid Taito port. I hear ya about the desert and bullets mixing in, on Level 3 after picking up all the "S" powerups to that point!

Here's a tidbit.... the Level 1 tank "Boss" doesnt have to be defeated. Just let him keep firing and it self-destructs near the end of the stage. Saves your precious bombs for more POINTS!!!!

I too used a Game Genie at first to complete it, but then eventually beat it (and started over) the honest way. LOVED my NES Advantage!

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » February 1st, 2011, 11:10 pm

He said there were no boss fights...uh....what about the dragon you fight at the end of the game?  Isn't THAT a boss?  There is one other enemy, I believe a golem that you only encounter once in the entire game...so that could be considered a boss as well.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » February 2nd, 2011, 10:16 am

I'm pretty sure that the Green Dragon you rescue the Princess from qualifies as the first boss.

I'd say about 100%.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » February 2nd, 2011, 11:00 am

Thanx for the RPG review.

Unfortunately I missed out on Dragon Warrior back in the day. It looks like one of those games that had to be enjoyed during its heyday. I'm sure I would've loved it back then, but I doubt very highly that I could enjoy it now. I don't have the patience for grinding or roaming around & not knowing where to go. Plus I really love controlling a party of adventureres. Controlling only one character in a turn-based game sounds pretty boring to me. Its one of those games that if you enjoyed it during its time you still could enjoy it today, but if you missed out on it; chances are you won't like it now.

Sky Shark sounds like a decent 1942 clone. I'll get it eventually. I think there may be more copies of Sky Shark laying around then just about any other NES game. Minus Super Mario Bros. of course. I swear I see that game in every lot of games sold.  

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » February 2nd, 2011, 12:43 pm

[QUOTE=Fingers dripping ink]I'm pretty sure that the Green Dragon you rescue the Princess from qualifies as the first boss.

I'd say about 100%.
[/QUOTE]

Yep. There's also the Golem and the Axe Knight, who both sort of count the same way.

You got the story slightly wrong, though - Erdrick never fought the Dragonlord, just some as-of-yet-unnamed evil baddie. Play Dragon Warrior 3 for further details - I won't spoil them for those who haven't played it yet.

And the first "console RPG" is still The Black Onyx, as mentioned in that other thread. 

Jeremy Duer

Postby Jeremy Duer » February 2nd, 2011, 1:29 pm

Good review of Dragon Warrior and a dead on generalization that the country of Japan stopped to play these games.  My neighbor, who was Japanese, played this game when it came out night and day.  I wonder why I never saw him that much and now I know.

The RPG Critic

Postby The RPG Critic » February 2nd, 2011, 3:37 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]You got the story slightly wrong, though - Erdrick never fought the Dragonlord, just some as-of-yet-unnamed evil baddie. Play Dragon Warrior 3 for further details - I won't spoil them for those who haven't played it yet.[/QUOTE]

You are totally correct about the story. It didn't even register with me when I wrote out that part of the review. I'll see if I can get Dave to amend it.

As for the boss battle questions, you people are right that the DragonLord  counts as a boss, but he's the last guy. I really meant there are no bosses in the sense we think of them. Yeah, there are monsters that you fight in specific locations, but they're just regular monsters. You run into the Green Dragon and Axe Knight randomly in other places. To me, everything about those battles feels just like any other battle you're in; nothing sets them apart to make you think "Oh, this is a boss, I'd better pay attention and not f… up!")

―Jonathan

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 2nd, 2011, 5:51 pm

The line about defeating Dragonlord is fixed.  Good eye!

Return to “Review Feedback”