2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Leo1

2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Postby Leo1 » February 25th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Tell us 5 or 6 games that you consider triple A material.

Not Available

Postby Not Available » February 25th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Simply put, no game is perfect, ergo, NO game deserves an A+. But if any game deserves an A+, it should at LEAST be a GOOD game.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 25th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Gee and I thought Mario Kart appealed to everyone except the SEGA/Microsoft/SONY/Old Game versions of steer

Any misanthrope can play as Yoshi,Koopa,Bowser,DK,and so on and continuously shell out Plumber Boy and those other human characters.

Any old person too clouded by the nostalgia bubble can enjoy the pure "arcade racing goodness" the 2D versions have

Any sales-obsessed,doublethink accusing fanboy for Nintendo can enjoy the sales numbers and the fact they are Nintendo exclusive

The other sane gamers can enjoy the fact that they are  *gasp* FUN

On a Sonic note however,the original is the best,not too short [3],too difficult [2] or awkwardly designed [Knuckles]. The real travesty is the failure to re-review CD which came before 3 ever did and is just as much 2D as the others. Still they all have aged amazingly well and manage to still be eye candy.They were all well written and to the point and agree or disagree that conts for something

Keep 'em coming Critic.

Not Available

Postby Not Available » February 25th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Right, because everyone likes racing games that feel stiff and rough around the edges. You want a Nintendo racer, play the F-Zero series for pete's sake.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 25th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Nobody claimed there was a perfect game,but there are those that are pretty darn close. These pretty darn close games are much better than just those mostly outstanding games [A games]

As for F Zero,it's much harder and the levels lack the eye candy and most of the tracks are too thin.

Bunnycorn

Postby Bunnycorn » February 25th, 2011, 11:01 pm

[QUOTE=Not Available]Right, because everyone likes racing games that feel stiff and rough around the edges. You want a Nintendo racer, play the F-Zero series for pete's sake.
[/QUOTE]

I'll admit, an F-Zero game can be one heck of a good time, but only if you're playing as certain ships. In F-Zero Climax, there were some high tiered vehicles like the Blue Falcon, White Cat, Deep Claw, Astro Robin, and of coarse the Elegance Liberty. But there's also vehicles that are completely useless like the Golden Fox, Mighty Typhoon, Great Star, Crazy Bear, etc. In the F-Zero games, you either have good handling, or you're useless. With the right ship, though, they're pretty fun games.

PS: The Break challenges are made impossible with the exclusion of a Break button.

bigladiesman

Re: 2011/2/22: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Postby bigladiesman » May 27th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog was one of my first four MD titles. And, man, it still shines. Playability-wise, it's a direct and simple game while having awesome technical features: it was fast, extremely beautiful and had an awesome soundtrack.

Sonic 2 improved on the formula. Tails, my favourite video game character (Sonic's cocky attitude has never catched on me) made his - awful, to be fair - debut, we got a 2-player mode, spectacular bonus levels, more level variety, more awesome music and Super Sonic, Yuji Naka's tribute to his admired Akira Toriyama. Still, it may be too similar to Sonic 1.

With Sonic 3, Sega dared to innovate again: the game follows an actual storyline, shields have a practical use besides protecting from a hit, we got two types of bonus levels (a 3D enviroment for the Chaos Emeralds and three different levels for items), Tails has his own abilities, the 2 player mode includes 5 extra levels, the music is, again, awesome (by a mysterious being whose name is nowadays known by everybody). It may not be as fun and wild as Sonic 2, but the additions were compensative enough.
Its main flaw? It was actually split into 2 games. I've been told that Sonic 3 + Knuckles is, in fact, Sonic 3, and it could have been fit in a single cartridge. Apparently, time constraints prevented the programmers from releasing it as a standalone cart. Other opinions say that it was just Sega being greedy. Well, at least we had Knuckles on Sonic 2.

Return to “Review Feedback”