2012/3/11: Nintendo 3DS: Cave Story 3D, Mario Kart 7

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » March 13th, 2012, 2:40 am

I wasn't counting the arcade games. I don't think they're viewed as "canon" (If I can even apply that word to this series), athough I played the first one once before it disappeared from the now closed Aladdin's Castle at the local mall and had some fun with it. They're games unknown to most people, programmed and released by Namco, and played by few (Only a few dozen cabinets of both ever made it to our shores). A footnote more than anything for this series.

I thought the baby characters were present in the DS game, but apparantly not.

I've always stuck with Toad and Koopa since the beginning (Although Koopa hasn't been present in a few). They're lightweight, handle well, and have fast acceleration. Never found high speed or the ability to knock other characters around as useful as those capabilities so these large rosters in recent Mario Kart releases have mostly been wasted on me.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 13th, 2012, 12:19 pm

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by T. Mario Kart Guru 
What did you think of the Rainbow Road though? It really changed things up,this one[/QUOTE]

I ALWAYS have the most trouble with Rainbow Roads.  Rainbow Road in MK7 is probably the race I have the most trouble with in the entire series.  I don't know how others feel about it, but I'm terrible at it.  So is it weird I like it so much?  It's an incredibly imaginative course.  And the rest of the game is virtually perfect.  Some reviewers gave it B's and B-'s, but I don't see what's so wrong with sticking to a formula that's become and industry standard.  MK7 is my favorite in the series and not too long ago, I said Mario Kart 64 and DS were in my top ten favorite games, so that's saying something.

By the way, I do still think Super Mario 3D Land and Resident Evil: Revelations are the best 3DS games.  But I still agree with the Critic's A+ score.

Others have mentioned it, but I think it's worthwhile to get Cave Story on Wiiware, Dave.  It may change your mind about the game.  I've not played the 3D version, but I've spent significant time with the Wii and DSiware versions of Cave Story and I think the game is fantastic.  B grade for me.  But I'm also a Metroidvania fanboy.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 13th, 2012, 2:40 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]
I've always stuck with Toad and Koopa since the beginning (Although Koopa hasn't been present in a few). They're lightweight, handle well, and have fast acceleration. Never found high speed or the ability to knock other characters around as useful as those capabilities so these large rosters in recent Mario Kart releases have mostly been wasted on me.

[/QUOTE]

I used to be like that too (though I stuck with Luigi, since I found the super-lightweights to be a bit too weak), but in the Wii game I fell in love with King Boo, who I found to have a perfect set of abilities - fast, strong, and acceptable in the handling and acceleration department.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » March 13th, 2012, 10:45 pm

I like Mario Kart 7 quite a bit, but I must admit I was slightly disappointed with it at first.  I just didn't find the racing to be as satisfying as in Mario Kart Wii.  Probably the biggest thing was that the Grand Prix mode seemed so easy at first (I know I'm weird, but I like playing the Mario Kart games' single player modes).  I'm pretty decent at Mario Kart, but I wouldn't call myself an expert, but it seemed that I hardly even had to try to win races.  The first cup that really offered any challenge was the 150cc special cup.  I'm now playing through the mirrored courses and am enjoying the game more since the challenge is ramping up a bit.

I have Cave Story on Wiiware, and while I don't think I like it as much as some do, I would say it's better than average.  I agree about the slippery controls--they can be frustrating at times.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 14th, 2012, 3:00 pm

I'm going to suggest you give the WiiWare version of Cave Story a try. You'll get used to the controls AND you'll be able to see where you're going - with new graphics and updated sound, or the original.

It reminds me of Metroid II, but with an anime feel.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » March 15th, 2012, 10:55 am

Mario Kart is awesome, always, doesn't meter the version, they are all great.

Malstrom

Postby Malstrom » March 16th, 2012, 8:00 am

Nintendo is making their games for themselves, not for their audience. 3D is a gimmick I cannot get past - I take it as a personal affront. How can you guys call Mario 3D Land a great game? It is not a 2D Mario, it should never have been made.

When will Nintendo listen to their fans?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 16th, 2012, 9:51 am

[QUOTE=Malstrom]Nintendo is making their games for themselves, not for their audience. 3D is a gimmick I cannot get past - I take it as a personal affront. How can you guys call Mario 3D Land a great game? It is not a 2D Mario, it should never have been made.

When will Nintendo listen to their fans?
[/QUOTE]

Given that these games sell like hotcakes, I have this odd feeling they are listening to their fans, and that the people they don't listen to are this loud minority who just claim to represent the fans as a whole.

Just a hunch.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » March 18th, 2012, 5:30 pm

My apologies for reneging on not registering immediatley but,

@Maistorm -Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of us fans actually prefer 3D Mario over 2D Mario?  Oh I get it because your old you'll just pull the "No true Scotsman" fallacy for that on us younger fans

Tough luck,gameplay moves on

And why would you want Nintendo not to make games for themselves,any creator worth beans makes a work for themselves first,the masses later.  A creator who panders to the elite or the masses first won't get anywhere.

mesk1

Postby mesk1 » March 18th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Malstorm how can you say you are a Nintendo fan yet not love 3D land? you must have been one of those people who complained about SM64.3D land is just the next step in Mario's evolution

Return to “Review Feedback”