2012/3/29: Playstation 3: House of the Dead Overkill: Extended Cut, Killzone 3, The Shoot

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2012/3/29: Playstation 3: House of the Dead Overkill: Extended Cut, Killzone 3, The Shoot

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Check out the reviews for these Move-compatible PS3 titles.
Comments are welcome.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 29th, 2012, 9:19 pm

does the PS3 version of HOTD Overkill have lag issues like the Wii version? This was probably the biggest issue I had with the Wii version. It definitely felt like a B movie horror film, but I have to agree that I liked the previous games far more than this new one. Anyway, good reviews. Thanks.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » March 30th, 2012, 6:52 am

Quite a difference in score between the Wii and PS3 editions of HOTD OK. An B vs a D.

Given that most of the weaker points appear to be the same in both versions, does the critic really feel that the quality of the average game on Wii and PS3 is that different (as the critic grades against other games on the same system as much against ports of the game on other systems)?

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 30th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I know we discussed this before, but I really feel like the Critic's poor opinion of Killzone 3 was hampered by not downloading the patches released for the game, which is something he failed to mention in the review.  My system automatically downloaded the patches before I even started playing KZ3 and I didn't experience a single glitch.  I suggest those that play this game in the future download the patch... and stay away from the Move controls.  I thought the game was closer to a B or B+, but that's simply a difference of opinion.

I also thought it was odd that Dave was so critical of Sony (when we discussed the game before) for releasing a "buggy" game that required patches when so many developers do this.  Then I realized, it's because he has his 360 online (where the patches will be applied) and his PS3 is offline (where the patches won't).  Because he buys most of his multiplat games on the 360, he doesn't notice or realize the patches that are being applied.  Taking something like Skyrim's developer Bethesda to task would seem much more appropriate, as they consistently release buggy games and then hope the patches fix the issue in the future after they've made millions on an already-released, buggy game.  4 patches have been applied to Skyrim on all consoles/versions and I'm guessing they were downloaded automatically before Dave even reviewed the game.

I'm not backing up Sony on this.  I think they should have fixed the issue before releasing the game.  But I don't think it's quite fair to review some games that have patches and then criticize others where the patches have not been applied.  Just a thought.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » March 30th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Overall, I would say the Move has been a major disappointment.  The Kinect seems to be far better the casual gaming audience.   The Move has had very little in terms of worthwhile games outside of light gun games.   They've also patched some normal games like Heavy rain to make them compatible with it, but the controls are abysmal.

Anyways good reviews overall.

The Shoot-  I personally like the feel of this game.   But you're right, the controls are not perfect, especially the dodging parts.   I would have rated it higher, but I understand your viewpoint.

Killzone 3-  Technically  Killzone 3 is 1st rate.  The feel of the combat, graphic technology and controls (if you avoid the move) are first rate.   However, its another boring grey shooter.   And the Move controls aren't very good as you said.   The game did ship with bugs.   I know they've released patches fixing some of them, but a game should be reviewed as it is out of the box.   Your review is right on.

House of the Dead Overkill -   I played this game for the Wii and loved the gameplay.   The characters and "mature" feel were lame and made the game embarrassing though as you said. I was hoping the PS3 version would be the ultimate version.   However, if the controls are terrible, then you are left with a bad game with terrible themes.   Thanks for the review, I will avoid it. 

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » March 30th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Why is it always Sony's fault? Guerilla are the ones who developed and allegedly play tested Killzone 3.

Would you blame Microsoft for a buggy Halo game?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2012, 4:47 pm

[QUOTE=Verm]

Quite a difference in score between the Wii and PS3 editions of HOTD OK. An B vs a D.

Given that most of the weaker points appear to be the same in both versions, does the critic really feel that the quality of the average game on Wii and PS3 is that different (as the critic grades against other games on the same system as much against ports of the game on other systems)?

[/QUOTE]

I probably overrated the Wii version, and will adjust the grade down a bit.  In general I think I hold the PS3/360 to a higher standard than the Wii.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2012, 4:53 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]
I also thought it was odd that Dave was so critical of Sony (when we discussed the game before) for releasing a "buggy" game that required patches when so many developers do this.  Then I realized, it's because he has his 360 online (where the patches will be applied) and his PS3 is offline (where the patches won't).  Because he buys most of his multiplat games on the 360, he doesn't notice or realize the patches that are being applied.  Taking something like Skyrim's developer Bethesda to task would seem much more appropriate, as they consistently release buggy games and then hope the patches fix the issue in the future after they've made millions on an already-released, buggy game.  4 patches have been applied to Skyrim on all consoles/versions and I'm guessing they were downloaded automatically before Dave even reviewed the game.

[/QUOTE]

There is a reason my 360 is on-line and my PS3 is not.  From the beginning, the Xbox 360 on-line experience has been relatively painless, and the PS3 is absolutely torture.  Not to mention the fact that Sony had about a billion accounts breached last year.  I wouldn't get on their network if you paid me.  You reap what you sow.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2012, 5:09 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Why is it always Sony's fault? Guerilla are the ones who developed and allegedly play tested Killzone 3.

Would you blame Microsoft for a buggy Halo game?[/QUOTE]

Well, it does say "Sony" on the front of the box.  Maybe I should call out the lead developer or the project manager instead?  Sorry, but it all starts at the top.

The Halo games are actually extremely polished - and I've played every one of them off-line.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » March 31st, 2012, 1:48 am

Will you be rereviewing the Wii original now? Sounds like a lot of your complaints are due to the same content present on the original release.

I thought a B was overly generous for that game after butchering most of what made the series so enjoyable to start with.

Return to “Review Feedback”