2012/4/1: Sega Master System: Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Marksman Shooting/Trap Shooting, Paperboy

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2012/4/1: Sega Master System: Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Marksman Shooting/Trap Shooting, Paperboy

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 6th, 2012, 8:36 pm

I upgraded my Alex Kidd score to a D+.  I revisited the game with a different controller and it was a little better.  Still not great, but better.

a1

Postby a1 » April 6th, 2012, 10:53 pm

I'm gonna support the critic on the Alex Kidd review. I'm sure the game is great if you have nostalgia for it, but if you pick it up today for the first time it's just not very good. I'll be the first to admit that I think some games are much better then they are because I played them when they first came out.

Playgeneration1

Postby Playgeneration1 » April 7th, 2012, 5:33 am

The review kind of reads like you'd made up your mind about the game before giving it a proper chance and then only played it briefly.

Ignoring the games (and particularly later games in the series) box art, I don't think the character design is terrible, its quite cute. And I would guess there's some Journey to the West inspiration behind the design, which would explain his over-sized ears and monkey like appearance.

The instant comparison to Mario is somewhat unfair, as the game is just so different, and who really wants a near identical Mario clone anyway? there's plenty of those already. If you want to make comparisons, then compare how many innovative ideas and clever design there is in Miracle World to any other platform game of the time or since. There are proper bosses in the game as well as the rock, paper, scissors ones. Discovering the pattern to the matches was something special as a kid too, like you were out-witting the game designers! And if you really want Mario comparisons, then the boss battles in the first Mario aren't exactly sophisticated at all (and the Mario character design is even worse than Alex when you think about it logically, who wants to 'be' a fat moustachioed plumber?)

The controls in the game are perfect, you can charge around the levels really fast when you know them. Try playing with a good Genesis controller, as Master System pads were never that accurate, and can be terrible after years of wear and tear.

You say that people who had the game as a kid see it through rose tinted spectacles, I wonder if your childhood love of Mario means that you have a hard time seeing the good in whats considered a direct rival game. Forget the Sega vs Nintendo, Alex vs Mario nonsense and give the game a more thorough play.

mesk1

Postby mesk1 » April 7th, 2012, 12:23 pm

After reading a few of posts opposing the Critics review of Alex Kidd,I decided to give it a another chance and play it again.And nothing has changed,the game is a crapfest. Is that punch really his only weapon?  While I will say it was different with its level design,different doesnt always mean better.

I could only imagine how upset a kid would be after playing SMB with friends,and instead of asking for a NES,got a SMS and was totally disappointed.
There is a reason why the NES trounced the SMS in sales.

I also agree with people saying you cant compare to AK to SMB,and you know what they are correct.It is a insult to even have those 2 games in the same sentence! I feel that nostalgia has bested some people yet again.

Happy Gaming!

a1

Postby a1 » April 7th, 2012, 4:56 pm

[QUOTE=Playgeneration]
You say that people who had the game as a kid see it through rose tinted spectacles, I wonder if your childhood love of Mario means that you have a hard time seeing the good in whats considered a direct rival game. Forget the Sega vs Nintendo, Alex vs Mario nonsense and give the game a more thorough play.

[/QUOTE]

Please see Sonic reviews.

Coola_Farsan1

Postby Coola_Farsan1 » April 7th, 2012, 8:44 pm

[QUOTE=mesk]And nothing has changed,the game is a crapfest. Is that punch really his only weapon? 
[/QUOTE]

And you played it for how long? You pick up your first alternate weapon within ten seconds of gameplay by hitting one of the blocks with a question mark on it. Just hit start to access the inventory. There are several vehicles and power ups to buy later as well, which you would know if you bothered to read the review.

DamonPlus1

Postby DamonPlus1 » April 8th, 2012, 6:04 am

I disagree with your Alex Kidd in Miracle World review. It's a 8-bit classic. You have to take into context that this was 1986. Vertical stages mixed with horizontal ones, the use of vehicles and items to make your life easier was almost unheard of in consoles at the time (this was the year the original LOZ was released!). Same for controls, what if they are reversed as they are in SMB? Back then was not a rule. I can understand the complain in games from 1989 and onwards, but not back then. The only real problem I have with it is the slippery control and the short range of your punch, but other than that, I put Alex Kidd with the absolute best games released in that time. Not "A" material, but a solid "B" or "B+".

And I don't have my nostalgia glasses on because I first played it in 2003 or so.

stika1

Postby stika1 » April 9th, 2012, 1:47 pm

I really have to disagree with your review of Alex Kidd, critic

For starters, I don't see why the fact that Alex looks like a monkey should be a problem, in case you're wondering, yes, those ARE monkey ears, the game had slightly influenced by Journey to the west

your complaint on button placement is not a fair one either you're not playing an NES, you were playing a master system you can't expect the systems to copy each other entirely.

I agree with the rock paper scissors complaint though

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Good feedback guys.  Keep it coming.

Just keep in mind that just because I mention something in the review does not necessarily mean it impacts the grade.  In this case the button assignment and Alex's big ears didn't impact the grades.  Those were just some feedback from my friends that I thought was worth mentioning.

The grade is based on my overall impression of the game.  It's not necessarily the sum of all the comments in the review.

mesk1

Postby mesk1 » April 9th, 2012, 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=Coola_Farsan][QUOTE=mesk]And nothing has changed,the game is a crapfest. Is that punch really his only weapon? 
[/QUOTE]

And you played it for how long? You pick up your first alternate weapon within ten seconds of gameplay by hitting one of the blocks with a question mark on it. Just hit start to access the inventory. There are several vehicles and power ups to buy later as well, which you would know if you bothered to read the review.
[/QUOTE]

Whoops,lol.Didnt try that. Anyways it would not have done much to change my mind.Thankfully Shinobi world was like a completely different game,and it is fun.I also like the lost stars game.But Miracle World just is not for me. 

Return to “Review Feedback”