"Celeste" is the current game that is filling the void that Axiom Verge left with me...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

"Celeste" is the current game that is filling the void that Axiom Verge left with me...

Postby Paul Campbell » December 6th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Without getting into too much detail (because I want to get back to playing), after having Axiom Verge take over my life for a good month or so, I hit a rut where no game was giving me the rush that Axiom Verge gave me. Not in game play, story, or especially music. I was obsessed with AV for a good month, and then I was obsessed with finding its replacement after I had wrung every last bit of fun out of it I could. Fast forward to a week ago, and downloading Celeste to my Switch has filled the void in my heart that Axiom Verge left when I couldn't find anything else to do in it. I highly recommend it, and you might as well buy a Pro Controller for your Switch at the same time, because you WILL need it. Combine some of the best game play mechanics I have ever seen, with some of the most current and palpable storylines I have seen in a game (let alone a retro-looking game, a deep story about mental and emotion health issues, in my opinion), and music that equals or outshines that of Axiom Verge, and you have Celeste.

Retro STrife

Re: "Celeste" is the current game that is filling the void that Axiom Verge left with me...

Postby Retro STrife » December 6th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've been planning to get Celeste on the PS4, but I always wait for downloadable games to go on sale, which Sony does pretty often. Hasn't happened yet for Celeste, though.

I'm also looking forward to downloading Iconoclasts, which looks like it's pretty similar to Celeste. It got really good reviews too, although not quite to the same level as Celeste.

Meanwhile, I do have Axiom Verge now, but still haven't gotten around to trying it.... But your post was what finally pushed me to buy it, after I had been on the fence about it for awhile.

Retro STrife

Re: "Celeste" is the current game that is filling the void that Axiom Verge left with me...

Postby Retro STrife » December 6th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Speak of the litil divil, Celeste just went on sale today on PS4 for the first time. $13. Just bought it.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » December 7th, 2018, 12:19 am

Awesome. It has a "Super Meat Boy" flavor, but MUCH more sophisticated controls and game play, and very interesting storylines that my wife would sit down and watch. Super Meat Boy interested me at first but the well ran dry pretty quick for me. Celest really caught me off guard because I initially saw the similarities and was a bit worried . The "just one more try" factor is absolutely off the charts with this game, once you get into it. The controls frustrated me at first because they are simple yet sophisticated, and in the heat of the moment you will eventually find yourself doing things you didn't know you could do. It's pretty amazing. And let me reiterate that the music is among the best I have ever heard in ANY video game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 8th, 2018, 3:15 pm

For those interested in physical media, Limited Run Games just announced that they’ll be releasing Celeste on PS4 and Switch on January 1. Wish I knew that before I just bought the download on PS4! But, on the bright side, the download was on sale for $13, whereas the physical release will be at least $30.

Return to “Video Games General”