Console Design Blunders

General and high profile video game topics.
Alucard1191
Posts: 238
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby Alucard1191 » February 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm

C64_Critic wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:I am really surprised no one has said this: The wire on the dreamcast controller coming out the front. One of the worst design decisions on a main stream system.

The whole dreamcast controller would be worth mentioning except that the VMU port did allow some genuinely innovative things... but damn that thing is hard on the hands and not well designed.


Oh I gotta disagree with you on this one. While the choice of having the Dreamcast cable come out the front is odd to say the least, I never found that it adversely affected it's use. And aside from that, I think it's otherwise a very good, easy to use, and never caused me any hand discomfort.


I play almost exclusively fighting games on my Dreamcast, the main one being MvC2. I can only play that for about 45 to an hour before my hands are really hurting. On the other hand, I can play Dragonball FighterZ on my Switch for the entire length of a 2 hour film without discomfort. The D pad specifically is really, really rough.

User avatar
C64_Critic
Posts: 191
Joined: April 11th, 2015, 11:51 am

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby C64_Critic » February 16th, 2020, 2:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
C64_Critic wrote:Oh I gotta disagree with you on this one. While the choice of having the Dreamcast cable come out the front is odd to say the least, I never found that it adversely affected it's use. And aside from that, I think it's otherwise a very good, easy to use, and never caused me any hand discomfort.


That's because there's a little slot on the back of the controller where you can tuck in the wire to "guide" it towards the back. The fact that they even needed to include something like that tells you Sega had become aware of this design defect late in the process. I'm pretty sure I can remember you mocking it for that!


I have no doubts, in fact I'd be shocked if I DIDN'T make fun of it. I guess my point was, although it was a strange design decision, I don't feel like it has any negative affect when actually using the controller, and mostly I never found that the Dreamcast controller itself was awkward or uncomfortable to use. I actually find it pretty ergonomically pleasing, it fits in my hand great, and I can hit all the buttons and controls I need without any problem. Unlike the Intellivision controller, which causes my hands to cramp up just thinking about using it.

User avatar
C64_Critic
Posts: 191
Joined: April 11th, 2015, 11:51 am

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby C64_Critic » February 16th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:I play almost exclusively fighting games on my Dreamcast, the main one being MvC2. I can only play that for about 45 to an hour before my hands are really hurting. On the other hand, I can play Dragonball FighterZ on my Switch for the entire length of a 2 hour film without discomfort. The D pad specifically is really, really rough.


Fair enough, I can't say that I've ever tried to play any fighting games on the DC for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. I typically stick to things like Crazy Taxi, Worms, or NFL2K and don't recall ever having a comfort issue.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 13160
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 16th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Alucard - if you're serious about playing Dreamcast fighting games you really should invest in the arcade stick - the one with the green buttons. It's built like a tank and is far more conducive to button tapping!

Alucard1191
Posts: 238
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby Alucard1191 » February 16th, 2020, 9:26 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Alucard - if you're serious about playing Dreamcast fighting games you really should invest in the arcade stick - the one with the green buttons. It's built like a tank and is far more conducive to button tapping!


I actually do want one at one point, they do seem to be really pricey though, so I haven't quite pulled the trigger on that. Though with how much I like to play MvC2 specifically it would probably be worth it.

CaptainCruch
Posts: 304
Joined: July 17th, 2015, 11:26 am

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby CaptainCruch » February 17th, 2020, 6:45 am

Someone mentioned it before, but the Virtual Boy must be one of the worst game consoles design ever. ("A pair of goggles on a stick", as the Angry Game Nerd but put). The lack of a head strap is just silly.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 1133
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby Stalvern » February 17th, 2020, 12:27 pm

The thing's too bulky and heavy for a strap. It just plain shouldn't have been made.

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 175
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: Console Design Blunders

Postby MSR1701 » February 18th, 2020, 9:07 am

Stalvern wrote:The thing's too bulky and heavy for a strap. It just plain shouldn't have been made.

As an R&D Concept, it would have been good for experimentation; as a retail product, it failed.

Just think of how many prototypes we never see that are scrapped for a reason


Return to “Video Games General”