Halloween Suggestions?

General and high profile video game topics.
LuckyWDFN
Posts: 57
Joined: August 15th, 2017, 9:50 am

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby LuckyWDFN » September 17th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Ghost Chaser, a Frank Cohen game for the Atari 800/XL

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14205
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 18th, 2020, 8:19 pm

LuckyWDFN wrote:Ghost Chaser, a Frank Cohen game for the Atari 800/XL


Ding ding! I think we have a winner! Any idea where I can track down a copy of this??

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14205
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 18th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Retro,
I'm taking you up on Friday the 13th (PS4) and Captain Tomaday. X-Files, not so much. Never watched that show.

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby Retro STrife » September 19th, 2020, 6:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Retro,
I'm taking you up on Friday the 13th (PS4) and Captain Tomaday. X-Files, not so much. Never watched that show.


No worries. You missed out on a great show. But as for the PS1 game, you’re not missing anything. It’s not good. As a 1998 game, it was one of the very last gasps of air for the FMV and point-and-click adventure genres. That would be the only reason to play it for a non-XFiles fan.

But glad to hear the other two piqued your interest. It’s too bad you don’t do multiplayer, because the Friday the 13th online play is pretty unique. 1 player is Jason and 7 players are camp counselors. Jason is superpowered so he is virtually impossible to kill, and he can kill any counselor almost instantly. So as Jason you are a predator stalking everyone, and as one of the 7 counselors it is extremely tense trying to hide and escape Jason to get out of the camp.

DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1250
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm

There's a sequel to Costume Quest as well. Still download only, but might be worth checking out since you enjoyed the first one.

DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1250
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 26th, 2020, 10:23 am

Sorry for the double post, but if you're looking for something on the lighter side, you could try I Spy: Spooky Mansion on the Wii. I used to play it on my computer as a kid, and it was surprisingly fun.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14205
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2020, 10:38 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Sorry for the double post, but if you're looking for something on the lighter side, you could try I Spy: Spooky Mansion on the Wii. I used to play it on my computer as a kid, and it was surprisingly fun.


Actually I AM looking for something light and I want to review this! Thanks for the suggestion.

DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1250
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 26th, 2020, 11:08 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:Sorry for the double post, but if you're looking for something on the lighter side, you could try I Spy: Spooky Mansion on the Wii. I used to play it on my computer as a kid, and it was surprisingly fun.


Actually I AM looking for something light and I want to review this! Thanks for the suggestion.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it. A used game store near me has it and we can work out a way to get it to you.

LuckyWDFN
Posts: 57
Joined: August 15th, 2017, 9:50 am

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby LuckyWDFN » September 26th, 2020, 1:13 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
LuckyWDFN wrote:Ghost Chaser, a Frank Cohen game for the Atari 800/XL


Ding ding! I think we have a winner! Any idea where I can track down a copy of this??


I only have mine on an old bootleg floppy that still works. Atarimania has the ROM. If you're looking for something "light", you can't get much lighter than Ghost Chaser. It's pretty nifty little platformer tho

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-40 ... _2205.html

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby Retro STrife » September 26th, 2020, 11:54 pm

One more... I also have to mention Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which is usually considered a must-play game for survival horror fans. The game came out for PC in 2010, and it was more recently ported to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch as part of "The Amnesia Collection" (which includes all 3 Amnesia games). I have yet to play Dark Descent, but it's on my list to play this October.

Why do I mention it without even having played it? Because I have heard so much about this game.. it appears near the top of most lists for "best horror games ever" .. and I have routinely heard it called "the most influential horror game of the past 10 years". It seems that Amnesia was so effective as a horror game that most others since have borrowed at least some aspects of it, and some have even tried to clone the formula. All of these reasons are why I want to play the game despite not being a fan of the genre.

The problem? Well, Amnesia Collection is only available as a digital download, with no console version on physical media. Still, considering it's reputation this might be one good time to make an exception.


Return to “Video Games General”