There a difference with older US vs European TVs?

General and high profile video game topics.
Alucard1191

Re: There a difference with older US vs European TVs?

Postby Alucard1191 » May 12th, 2021, 8:01 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:
Another crazy thought.... are there any light gun style products for a PC? Perhaps just getting a decent gaming PC and running MAME with a light gun USB peripheral would solve all of this.

Aimtrack and Sindens. Goodluck getting a Sinden light gun. They are backed up with production delays. You're better off getting Aimtracks.

This move won't be for a while, I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my cherished retro game collection viable and playable. I went ahead and looked at those Aimtracks, and they claim to work on any monitor, old, new, HDMI, etc. With a properly equipped computer, things like Virtua Cop and House of the Dead are within reach. That might be the way to go instead of hauling a TV across the ocean, and run a multitude of voltage adapters/converters/whatever to make it all work just so I can properly play my Saturn, SNES, and N64.

Very much still in the 'theory crafting' part of this, figuring out what will work and what won't. That kind of thing.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 13th, 2021, 10:59 pm

For the power, all you'd need is a decent step-down converter to get 220v down to 110v. You shouldn't even need an adapter since the ones I've seen are built with the expectation of our western style power plug being inserted into it.

Alternatively, the power differences with many consoles rests solely with the power supply itself with the output from the AC adapter being identical across regions. So if it's powered externally like a Super Nintendo, you'll quite likely be able to swap your AC adapter out for a European one.

And for any modern stuff, you just might be pleasantly surprised after researching a particular system. I think Sony especially has been good about supporting both power standards with the PS3-PS5 (And even some slim PS2's). For such dual voltage systems that can handle 110v-220v, all you need is a cheap $5 plug adapter to physically interface our plug style to the appropriate European style (Or alternatively, just replace the power cable entirely with a native European one).

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 15th, 2021, 12:52 am

Thanks again Atariboy, that actually doesn't sound too complicated. My wife has actually contacted a company in France... so actually putting together a game plan now. My PC that I game on absolutely couldn't be a solid emulation machine. (Or a good gaming machine in general.) So it would really come down to 'how much to ship the old CRT' vs. 'New computer + 2 aimtrack guns.' (One for me and one for the wife.)

Heck, off the top of my head that's around 900... I guess I'll have to see how much shipping the TV would be, sounds like power conversion won't be that hard.

Return to “Video Games General”