Games you really wanted to like...

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Games you really wanted to like...

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2021, 4:43 pm

Cafeman wrote:Games I really wanted to like ... that describes almost all the 32X library.

After enjoying Doom, VRD, and Star Wars Arcade, almost everything else sucked. I didn't care for Knuckles Chaotix or Kolibri much, but I was very disappointed with Motocross, Brutal, B.C. Racers, Cosmic Carnage, Metal Head, and several others. Tried to find the good in them but couldn't.

You really hit the nail of the head! I got those three games you mentioned for Christmas (with my 32X) and I was in heaven!! I loved those games. Then after that there was a huge drop-off. Sure I liked Afterburner and Shadow Squadron but the thrill was gone by then.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 21st, 2021, 7:20 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:I thought Darkest Dungeon was incredible! It felt like the video game version of a dark twisted D&D session circa 1983. As someone who plays a lot of tabletop RPGs having a “die roll” essentially screw you over felt very on brand. I can see how some would hate it though.

The thing is, a good rpg will balance the difficulty. A DM who knows how to challenge his players without overwhelming them is a good DM. One who sets out with the goal to murder everybody is a bad one.

JustLikeHeaven wrote:The first game that springs to mind for me is Metroid Prime. I think it’s a very fine game. However, it gives me some of the worst motion sickness I’ve ever encountered while gaming. You don’t understand how happy I am that the new Metroid is 2D!

Same here. I don't get motion sickness, but I still thought that game was dreary and boring.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 21st, 2021, 8:07 pm

Same thing with the motion sickness. I just started playing Knockout City, and while fun, I’m really wary is I’m going to have a bout of nausea with it if I play beyond 15 minutes…

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 22nd, 2021, 7:52 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
JustLikeHeaven wrote:I thought Darkest Dungeon was incredible! It felt like the video game version of a dark twisted D&D session circa 1983. As someone who plays a lot of tabletop RPGs having a “die roll” essentially screw you over felt very on brand. I can see how some would hate it though.

The thing is, a good rpg will balance the difficulty. A DM who knows how to challenge his players without overwhelming them is a good DM. One who sets out with the goal to murder everybody is a bad one.

I'm specifically talking about old-school D&D. That style of D&D was way more brutal than what is in the current edition of the game. It required smart, cautious play, and even then poor rolls could spell doom. I'm not talking about a DM who is just looking to kill players for fun. Even balanced encounters can go sideways if the player's dice rolls are cold. It's up to the players at that point to be smart enough to run like hell.

To me it feels like Darkest Dungeon is very much trying to replicate that dangerous old-school D&D vibe.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 22nd, 2021, 9:49 am

Metal gear solid and final fantasy 7. Both are on my PS Classic but I couldn’t get into either. I’ll try again one day.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 22nd, 2021, 3:11 pm

Voor wrote:I’ll try again one day.

I feel like this would make for an excellent spin-off topic, Voor - "Games You Liked After A Second Chance." I think we all have plenty of experiences in that category!

I agree with what others have said about Metroid Prime. If you grew up with the original series or have dizziness issues with first-person games, then yes, it's a game that doesn't make a great first impression. As a Metroid die-hard, I hated it when I first played it. Rented it, gave up after a few hours, then didn't play it again until years later.

In time, I grew to appreciate it for the well-made game that it is. It was also one of several games that taught me that, just because a game might be "not for me," that doesn't make it "bad." I'll never say that any of the Prime games are bad games. Quite the opposite - they're some of the best-constructed games I've ever seen, from a world-building and design standpoint - but they just aren't my cuppa coffee. Or, at least, not the style of game I want to play when I think of Metroid.

Symphony of the Night was another game that I straight-up *hated* when I first played it. Castlevania with a sword, and experience points?? A Metroid game with a level-up system?? Man, it just didn't click. I borrowed it from a friend, and gave it back to him a few days later, telling him I just didn't like it. He was a little shocked, if not outright hurt, but he understood.

Some time later, I found a cheap copy during the end of the PS1 days and decided to give it another go. Glad I did - as it stands now, I've beaten through it at least a good half-dozen times, and just popping it in and running around amounts to a sort of digital therapy. I even like to think that it's the best Metroid game I've ever played, all because I gave it a second chance.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » June 22nd, 2021, 5:57 pm

Metal Gear Solid never did anything for me, funny cos it seems like a game I would have liked, but I'm willing to give it another oportunity.

Street of Rage 2 great music, but that is it, gameplay is too simplistic and boring, no run button, no co-op attack, it all feels a bit stale even compared to some of its contemporary beatemups which were more versatile like Final Fight 3 and Turtles in Time/Hypestone Heist.

Super Mario Sunshine, meh, never like it, fludd sucks, a Mario game where you spend more time cleaning stuffs, love other 3D Mario games but this one just not for me.

thonse

Postby thonse » June 23rd, 2021, 5:23 am

Dragon's Dogma... That game is a total disappointment for me. I played it last month after one of my friends suggested and I was expecting more from it.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » June 29th, 2021, 7:49 am

Hagane wrote:
Super Mario Sunshine, meh, never like it, fludd sucks, a Mario game where you spend more time cleaning stuffs, love other 3D Mario games but this one just not for me.

I was trying to think of my contribution to this thread, and this game is definitely mine. I've tried to get into it multiple times, and every time I try to, I keep thinking I will, but I don't. I like the scenery and exploration, but the game is just not fun. so many things in the game felt like a chore to me, and it just wasn't good.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 29th, 2021, 9:16 am

lynchie137 wrote:Probably the NES port of Double Dragon 3. I enjoyed the port of the first game, and I absolutely LOVED the sequel. So when I saw the third one on the shelf at my local video store back in the day, I just had to give this one a go as well. Unfortunately, I found it to be nowhere near as fun as the previous two. Not even close. The enemies are a lot tougher to take out than in previous outings, your health bar goes down a lot quicker than it should, your special moves have a real annoying way of not working when you desperately need them to, and worst of all, you only get one life to start out with. Granted, you can earn additional lives after the second and third missions when you beat the two boss characters in those levels. But the second level boss is way too slow on his feet, and the third level boss attacks are for the most part ineffective, rarely hitting their mark. If you're playing single player mode and you lose Billy Lee before tackling the fourth and fifth missions, you are gonna have a real rough time. All of these factors make this game far more frustrating than what it should be, really. And as far as I'm concerned, that is a shame. This game should have been a homerun out of the park. But sadly, it is just a long fly ball out for me. Which is why out of all the 3 Double Dragon games released for the NES, this is the one I play the least.

The enemies and stage designs are much more bland in DD3 as well. That's my biggest complaint. They didn't even bring back Abobo. The backgrounds change, but you basically keep fighting the same generic baddies over and over.

Return to “Video Games General”