New Logo

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

New Logo

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2021, 5:05 pm

I asked Mark Jewell to come up with a new, more modern logo for the site. This is what he sent me. What do you think?

Gentlegamer

Re: New Logo

Postby Gentlegamer » July 29th, 2021, 8:29 pm

VGC Red Ring of Death?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 29th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Yeah, I don't know that I like it. I'm not so sure it's an improvement over the existing one. It's not much different either but I don't know that it's better.

jon

Postby jon » July 30th, 2021, 6:38 am

I really like it.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » July 30th, 2021, 8:07 am

ActRaiser wrote:Yeah, I don't know that I like it. I'm not so sure it's an improvement over the existing one. It's not much different either but I don't know that it's better.

I agree with ActRaiser. In fact, I would say your existing logo is better, and gives a better representation of what this site is about, with its retro colors.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 30th, 2021, 8:35 am

Gentlegamer wrote:VGC Red Ring of Death?

Hard to unsee once in the mind...

Would be good for a seasonal icon/logo (such as Halloween).

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 30th, 2021, 8:57 am

Virtual Boy Edition.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 30th, 2021, 12:12 pm

txsizzler wrote:I would say your existing logo is better, and gives a better representation of what this site is about, with its retro colors.

Completely agreed.

I do think the rainbow colors in the current logo need to stay. So many companies nowadays are moving towards simple monochrome (or two-tone) logos, ditching the colorful (and more experimental) logos of the past. I'd hate to see the same thing happen here at the VGC!

Plus, the current colors work so well, given the retro-focused nature of the site. I see those rainbow colors set against a 2600 joystick, and I instantly think of the classic Activision logo. Our friends across the pond likely associate those colors with classic consoles, too, namely the ZX Spectrum. Myself, I think of the Apple Computer logo from the same era.

Want to keep the memories of 70s and early 80s tech alive? Just add rainbows!!

EDIT: Just look at one of the frontpage banners as an example:

Look at how those colors pop! There's an associated color everywhere in the banner to draw your eye from the logo to the rest of the graphic. The green in the tree leaves, the blue in the background, the orange in the text shadow, and the purple from the images in the lettering, especially in the background behind Chun-Li. Your eye is constantly drawn from side to side, as your mind naturally associates like colors and seeks out repetition within the graphic. It makes for an extremely balanced composition!

Now, try replacing the current logo with the new red ring design. The only intense red values are on Bub's cheeks in the letter "V," which disrupts the balance of the image and keeps your eyes anchored to the left side of the banner. The newer logo design may work well for the monochrome "Mad World" banner that pops up from time to time, but for the more colorful banners, the colors in the current logo help build association with the other colors in the banner graphic.

I will say this, Critic - your graphic designer does a bang-up job with the images and banners on this site. They are obviously quite talented, and absolutely have an eye for this sort of thing!

(Sorry for the rant, guys. This old art school dropout just had to geek out a bit :D )
Last edited by Matchstick on July 30th, 2021, 12:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 30th, 2021, 12:18 pm

Come to think of it, the color pattern is not unlike the 80s hardware logos n emblems. Matchstick is right about that

jon

Postby jon » July 30th, 2021, 1:11 pm

As far as art goes, it's brilliant. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Return to “Video Games General”