Whatever Happened To...?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Whatever Happened To...?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2021, 9:21 pm

I thought it might interesting to talk about some of the popular video game franchises of the past that seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth.

This probably isn't the best example, but it's one that popped into my mind: Street Fighter. This series experienced a real resurgence in the past decade, but there hasn't been a new Street Fighter game in 5 years. Did the series hit a wall?

TimPossible

Re: Whatever Happened To...?

Postby TimPossible » August 2nd, 2021, 11:29 am

Road Rash
Super Mario RPG

Voor

Postby Voor » August 2nd, 2021, 11:29 am

Maybe they’ve been doing DLC characters? Some games are going this direction—focused more on DLC than sequels

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 2nd, 2021, 2:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I thought it might interesting to talk about some of the popular video game franchises of the past that seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth.

This probably isn't the best example, but it's one that popped into my mind: Street Fighter. This series experienced a real resurgence in the past decade, but there hasn't been a new Street Fighter game in 5 years. Did the series hit a wall?

Oh nuts, you're right, Street Fighter V was released in 2016... Other than a rumor of a Switch Release of SFV, I haven't heard anything on this series. Maybe this means it's getting the Mega Man treatment and we'll see a new 2D 16-bit homage game in another five years.

There were several series over the years that were around (either popular or heavily advertised in mags/TV), though most are dead or have had failed attempts to come back:

Valis (4 games in the main series, though most of the games had changes or variations when released on different platforms (example, Valis IV PC Duo vs Super Valis IV); Super Valis IV is on the Switch SNES Online, and a Japanese crowdfunding campaign is bringing Valis 1, 2 and 3 to the Switch this coming winter)

James Pond (there was a kickstarter campaign a few years back, but it failed; 3 games in the main series (as with Valis, there were minor variations in the releases, though far more minor) and a sports spin-off, plus a regular rerelease of the second game every other system generation (the PS2, DS and Switch have ports of James Pond II)

Earthworm Jim (though a new game is supposed to come out on the Amico, there have been 4 games in the EWJ series (1 and 2 on several platforms (including portables of the day and GBA reworks), Earthworm Jim 3D on N64 and a unique game on the GBC. A PSP game was in the works once, though other than a handful of pics and the odd vid, nothing remains of it)

Contra - other than a collection release, there has been nothing for this series in a long time. Other than the excellent Contra 4 on DS (by Wayforward) and the Contra Rebirth on WiiWare (now long gone), there have been few if any unique games released

Castlevania - As with Contra, other than the odd collection, nothing new has been released for this series in ages. TONS of knockoffs or homages have been released over the recent years, from high profile releases like Bloodstained to random indie games.

Parodius - When was the last game in THIS series released or included in a collection? This series has been dormant for too long...

Darkstalkers - a Unique Capcom fighter that was able to stand on its own, other than cameos in Marvel VS Capcom and other such games (Project X Zone), the only "recent" release was a digital "upgrade" of the original trilogy on the PS3.

Metal Slug - once one of the best money makers for SNK, this series has been quiet for a while, again only seeing the odd rerelease.

King of the Monsters - while technically 3 games (the two original games (of note is the Genesis version of the second is more of a fighting game hybrid) plus a Japanese-exclusive "Quiz" game), this series was a nice play on the giant monster movies of the day; would love a sprite-based reboot with modern themes, such as tokusetsu and Gundam concepts included)

A New 2D Sonic Game - Since Sonic Mania, there hasn't been any new 2D Sonic Games, only the dreck that was Sonic Forces and an upcoming HD rework of Sonic Colors. As Mania proved, both nostaliga and new ideas are possible and sell in the modern market.

Wario Land - while I personally have a HUGE bias for the original Wario Land style (and by extension the format of the Virtual Boy release), another action/platformer for Wario would be a nice sight.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 2nd, 2021, 2:55 pm

TimPossible wrote:Road Rash
Super Mario RPG

Technically SMRPG is spiritually continued in the Mario and Luigi series (Paper Mario evolved into a similar, though ultimately different direction); that being said, I would love to see another SMRPG in the style of the SNES original

And speaking of RPGs...

Breath of Fire - I only recently learned of Breath of Fire VI, an online only MMO that I believe is now defunct. Yet another Capcom series that has fallen by the wayside, and one that doesn't even get cameos half the time...

Lufia - though the series has a completely different name in Japan, other than four games (two SNES games, a GBC and a GBA title), this series has been dormant for a good long while. For a series that included elements that could be described as "Pokemon-like" (monster taming, to the point that some reviews of the GBA title called it a Pokemon rip-off), it just...disappeared...

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 2nd, 2021, 4:01 pm

Here's a few that come to mind:

1) Vectorman: Really fun games that really pushed the limits of what the Genesis could do. Why didn't they make a version of this for the Saturn or Dreamcast???? Or for anything else for that matter.....

2) Toe Jam and Earl: I'm more of a fan of the second game than the first. Mainly because of the graphics, music and sound. (never played the one that came out a few years later) But both are really good, and I think a console like the Switch could do a really fine modern day version of either...

3) Pitfall: It's been far too long since the last one.

4) The Guardian Legend: Utterly mind boggling that there was never a sequel to this, as I feel that this one is definitely a lost classic.

5) Bases Loaded: Would LOVE to see a modern day remake of this with all the teams and player rosters of the first game. I think that would be pretty sweet.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 2nd, 2021, 4:04 pm

Wing Commander, Ultima, Command & Conquer, and whatever other franchises EA gobbled up back in the 90s.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 2nd, 2021, 4:22 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Here's a few that come to mind:

1) Vectorman: Really fun games that really pushed the limits of what the Genesis could do. Why didn't they make a version of this for the Saturn or Dreamcast???? Or for anything else for that matter.....

2) Toe Jam and Earl: I'm more of a fan of the second game than the first. Mainly because of the graphics, music and sound. (never played the one that came out a few years later) But both are really good, and I think a console like the Switch could do a really fine modern day version of either...

3) Pitfall: It's been far too long since the last one.

4) The Guardian Legend: Utterly mind boggling that there was never a sequel to this, as I feel that this one is definitely a lost classic.

5) Bases Loaded: Would LOVE to see a modern day remake of this with all the teams and player rosters of the first game. I think that would be pretty sweet.

Vectorman did have a 3D game that got at least as far as an Alpha build, if not a Beta build, but was canned in favor of another project; if I recall, the reason given by the dev team was that the game did not have the brand recognition needed to move units; sadly, I have to say they were not wrong, as Vectorman is easily one of the lesser Sega properties.

Toe Jam and Earl did have a recent release (from a Kickstarter campaign, if I recall), and did appear on the Switch. It was more modeled after the first game than the second, so make of that as you will.

Pitfall - other than the Atari 2600-era release, and MAYBE the Mayan Adventures game on the 16-bit systems, has there EVER been a good Pitfall game? I cannot think of one.

Bases Loaded - RBI Baseball has been getting releases in recent years, and the Evercade did just have a Jelaco Collection that had Bases Loaded included. Here's hoping... ;-)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 2nd, 2021, 4:25 pm

Matchstick wrote:Wing Commander, Ultima, Command & Conquer, and whatever other franchises EA gobbled up back in the 90s.

Command and Conquer did have a new game several years back, though it had a more co-op design than single-player design; it DID have J.K. Simmons, George Takei and Tim Curry being AWESOME, though...

Ultima was consumed by the late 90s-early 2000s Rush out the Door, cut whatever philosophy that ran the industry at the time, and other than a spiritual successor on Kickstarter (don't recall the project name, not sure if it was met), nothing on this one aside from an odd inclusion in the EA Replay collection on PSP, where SNES ports were included.

Wing Commander - oh geez, it would be fun to see this revisited, especially as Mark Hammil is being awesome as usual of late.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 2nd, 2021, 4:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I thought it might interesting to talk about some of the popular video game franchises of the past that seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Thanks, VGC... you got the brain going...

Phantasy Star (Classic) - aside from some random side games on the Game Gear and Genesis, the four core games in this series have been rereleased over the years in various forms (GBA, PS2, Switch, PS4), but never a new game in the Classic design.

Phantasy Star (Online) - while not a fave of mine, this seemed to be VERY popular for a time, then fizzled out right before the third game was released (which used a card collection theme if I recall, which almost NEVER works).

SimCity - instead of heavy 3D graphics or a cute art style, give us an SNES-style or SimCity 2000 style game! ;-) Heck, Sim series in general seem to have been dormant for a LONG time, be it the Sims, SimEarth, or other sub-series.

Golden Sun - one of the first RPGs on the GBA that was not an SNES remake/homage, and good enough to stand on its own. After the two GBA titles (which were originally conceived as a single game), there was a DS game that had a cliffhanger ending, and then nothing. Developer Camelot, makers of the Shining Force and Beyond the Beyond games, have spent the last few years working on Mario [insert sport name here].

Shining Force - see above

Jumping Flash - While a relic of the early 3D gaming industry, this was a VERY unique take on 3D gaming, and was very interesting

Lemmings - One of the many victims of Sony holding the rights to Psygnosis, you used to see Lemmings games on EVERY system, then a PS2/PSP game, then... nothing...

Wipeout - see above

Ridge Racer - Namco seems to have forgotten this series; would be nice to see a return to the original arcade-style

Return to “Video Games General”