IGN's Best Video Games of All Time Bracket

General and high profile video game topics.
Matchstick

Re: IGN's Best Video Games of All Time Bracket

Postby Matchstick » September 17th, 2021, 8:38 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Quick - Red Dead Redemption 2 or Pong... One rule of thumb is, what game would you rather play RIGHT NOW.

My wife's recently been slamming through Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I don't play the AC games, but this is a beautiful one to look at, even though it puts me to sleep to watch it for an extended period. After she went to bed, I busted out Robotron 64 - which my wife calls "Robot Ron" - and got up to around level 60 before I felt sleepy enough to join her.

I had the time of my life blasting robots to 90s trance music at 1 AM. Advantage, Robotron.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Call of Duty 4 or Ms. Pac-Man? Ms. Pac-Man.

Oh, no doubt. Ms. Pac-Man is in my own personal Top 3, and the very first game I ever remember playing as a kid. Woulda been nice if any Pac-Man game were on this "Best of..." list, you know?

For fun reading in a different medium, check out Rolling Stone's recent "500 Greatest Songs..." list :shock:

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 18th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Burnout 3 beat Chrono Trigger and advanced, for example.

As it should.

A somewhat overrated role playing adventure vs a run of the mill arcade style racing game that time should have forgotten. Mediocrity trounces mediocrity, nothing to see here :oops: .

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 19th, 2021, 10:22 pm

Just about any racing game is better than just about any JRPG.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 19th, 2021, 11:43 pm

Stalvern wrote:Just about any racing game is better than just about any JRPG.

Cannot say I blame you, particularly when turn based battles are essentially die rolls, while the main character or your sidekick utters the same phrase after every attack. Then there is the art direction....

Having digested Fighting Fantasy texts growing up and wasting 100's of hours of my life on CRPG's, the JRPG is somewhat a lateral gaming move (albeit littered with annoying characters and stories that go beyond acquired taste territory).

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » September 20th, 2021, 3:11 pm

I think we have to keep our expectations in check. I'm perhaps making a bad guess but that bad guess is that many of IGN's readers are between ten and twenty five. That means they probably started gaming around 2001 or at the latest.....2016.
Their hearts will be attached to games far different to what we have experienced. When I was younger I would perhaps have looked upon some of the 'Critics' favourite games as being not worthy. I would even have looked back at some of the early PC titles I played as being pathetic; now i see the rough diamonds within them.

m0zart

Postby m0zart » September 21st, 2021, 4:28 pm

I'm way too biased in my choices to even care about a bracket list like this. "Super Metroid", "Zelda: A Link to the Past", "Zelda: Ocarina of Time", "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic", "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem", "Silent Hill" and "Silent Hill 2", "Star Wars: Episode I Racer" -- I'm just not up to date enough to be able to properly judge the newer games.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 1st, 2021, 7:31 pm

So, God of War is the greatest game of all time. Seems like Gen Z need to do more vintage gaming. God of War of course is a marvelous contemporary game and the developers should be proud of this one.

Not sure this is the best God of War game though, never mind the greatest game of all time :roll:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2021, 10:22 am

So, God of War is the latest really good game that most of the voters have played in the last few years. Got it.

Reminds me of a TV special in the early 80's that let voter (by phone) determine the "BEST SONG EVER".
Guess what won? Every Breath You Take by the Police.
Not surprisingly, it was the #1 song of that year. People have short memories.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 2nd, 2021, 5:34 pm

Stalvern wrote:Just about any racing game is better than just about any JRPG.

Mods please ban.

Return to “Video Games General”