Cheap RGB cables?

General and high profile video game topics.
Alucard1191

Cheap RGB cables?

Postby Alucard1191 » October 16th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Hello VGC forum world.

Many, many years ago now I started a thread about RGB cables for old systems. All of my retro systems are connected with standard composite and I wanted to upgrade things while still having easy access to my saturn light gun games and what not.

Back then the cables for several of these systems (Saturn and GC/N64/SNES specifically) were too expensive for me to get. Yesterday I realized I was an AV cable short though for my retro systems and went on ebay and found that RGB cables for older systems have gone WAY down.

I'm guessing that these products are chinese knockoffs of the official or more high quality aftermarket cords. (This
is one of the cords I'm looking at.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284292676106?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D87ca66f24e9e4889b911034b4d44aa32%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D124898454490%26itm%3D284292676106%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa185965a-2ea9-11ec-9f81-1e001fa0f0d5%7Cparentrq%3A8a3a854317c0a4f149cf2af4ffff480c%7Ciid%3A1

Does anyone have experience with these types of cords? I have a BIG (40+ inches) CRT TV with RGB ports so I was thinking maybe for christmas I'll get RGB cables for everything and switch over. Has anyone used cords like this before? Do they work well with Playstation 1+2, Dreamcast, and/or SNES/N64/GC? Or do certain systems just not support this kind of low tech HD connection?

Breaker

Re: Cheap RGB cables?

Postby Breaker » October 16th, 2021, 2:49 pm

I have purchased from here, and had great success: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

I have cables for SMS, NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2 & Jaguar. The PS1 has not worked, and I have not tried anything for the Gamecube.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 16th, 2021, 5:54 pm

I play my PS1 games through my PS2, so hopefully that will work?

I am also not using SCART cables, I don't even know how to use those. Just the standard component RGB cables. Sounds like I should go ahead and give it a shot, if the PS2 is the only thing with issues I'll just get an S-Video cable for it when the time comes.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 16th, 2021, 6:41 pm

I wouldn't buy those Dreamcast cables on eBay if I were you - they're RGB, not Component, despite the fact that they use RCA cables like a Component cable would. Sounds confusing, but the short answer is that I don't think that cable is what you are looking for.

Alucard1191 wrote:Does anyone have experience with these types of cords? I have a BIG (40+ inches) CRT TV with RGB ports so I was thinking maybe for christmas I'll get RGB cables for everything and switch over.

Alucard1191 wrote:Just the standard component RGB cables...

Quick question: are you 100% sure the inputs on your TV are RGB, and not Component? There is a BIG difference between the two - and they are NOT the same thing.

A large tube TV with Component inputs is not uncommon here in the US. However, one with RGB inputs is.

Component inputs look like this:

RGB looks like this:
(Sorry for the blurry pic, it's the best I could find on a quick search)

If your TV does not have true RGB inputs, the best you may be able to get from your old consoles, without modification or a separate adapter, is the S-Video signal.

Honestly, as someone that's gone around and around with this over the years, I think the best, most cost-effective option is to use S-Video cables for your old consoles. You won't have many options for your NES or Genesis, but your SNES / N64 / Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS1 / PS2 will look **MUCH** better with S-Video than standard Composite.

I get that you want the best signal output from your consoles. But it can be such a wild goose chase, Alucard. If I were you, I would invest in a nice switchbox that has RCA and S-Video inputs, and use that for the bulk of your older systems. Your PS2 can actually use Component cables (which are cheaaaaaaap right now) to play both your PS2 and PS1 games. It's how I play my older PlayStation games on my own TV, and I verify that it works just fine and looks great, too.

The step up from Composite (the yellow video cable) to S-Video is stunning on a CRT TV. It's hard to tell a difference between the two on a HDTV, but on an old tube TV, it's an immediately-noticeable difference.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have - and even help you shop! Just be aware that, if you want true RGB gaming, you're either going to have to invest in a RGB monitor or buy an external adapter for your consoles. With S-Video, you can pretty much just buy the individual cables for each system and call it a day - and each cable should cost you less than $10 a piece.

Exactly what consoles do you want to connect to your TV? We can make a list of what you would need based on that. Also, would you be able to post a photo of the inputs on the back of your TV? It would be a big help, too!

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 16th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Sorry, it's the Composite Red Green and blue plugs that are the yb pr letters. I see these now for all of those systems for really cheap now.

But in your experience only the PS2 (which is really cheap right now.) can work with it than that might be what I do. I don't have a (working) NES and my Genesis is a mini device, (no mods yet.) so this would be for a Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, SNES, Saturn, and N64. I want to keep it to my old CRT both for lightgun support and because I can connect it to a standard stereo system and I can't do that for my HDMI TVs. (I have a 4 speaker set up, each one is a different large speaker from my wife's second hand store. It sounds REALLY good.)

If the PS2 is the only system that can support that though, I might have to rethink things. I'm seeing those component yb pr red green blue ones now for real cheap. But I can remember a few years ago those were of special make and REALLY expensive. I remember the GC and Saturn specifically being over 100 dollars.

I beat MvC2 the other night and while I didn't notice how bad the image was during gameplay, the end credit art looked wavy as hell, which made me think, "huh, maybe I can do something about this." and that lead me to the Dreamcast cord listing above and all the subsequent ones. The SNES/GC/N64 one is only 24 dollars on ebay like I said I remember those being SUPER expensive a few years ago, but do they even work right?

EDIT: Everything is currently standard AV cable, hooked into an AV switchbox. (Then into the stereo and TV respectively.) I would be getting another switch box, the question would be is it going to be all S video or the 3 color yp pr wires?

2nd Edit: My TV is an actual curved CRT, not a flat box style. and it has both the green red blue (Y pb ones) and S video.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 16th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Great info, Alucard. Thanks for posting!

Truth be told, I like the standard curved TV screens vs. flat CRT screens. Flat screens, in my experience, tend to warp the image at the corners. The curved picture tube is absolutely how these games were meant to be played.

As for your consoles, I would absolutely go all-in on S-Video, given the consoles you have and your current TV setup. The step up from Composite to S-Video is drastic. The step up from S-Video to Component? In comparison, not so much. Plus, there really isn't much point in going the component route unless your TV can support a Progressive Scan image. Some tube TVs can, but the only console in your batch that would support something like that is your PS2 - and only for certain games.

As for your consoles, I would hook them up like this:

SNES - S-Video
N64 - S-Video
Gamecube - S-Video (all 3 consoles use *exactly* the same cable - makes it easier to shop for!)
Saturn - S-Video
Dreamcast - S-Video
PS2 - Component

That means you would need 5 S-Video cables and 1 Component. Your PS2 Component cable could go straight into your Component video hookups on your TV - no switchbox needed. As for your other consoles, you *could* share one cable between your SNES / N64 / Gamecube, and just swap it back and forth between the consoles while you leave the cable plugged into your TV at all times. This could save you come cash if you don't want to go all-in with S-Video at the start.

In my experience, most switchboxes have 4 inputs, so you may need to swap a cable at some point, anyway. If you can find a switchbox with 5 inputs, then by all means, go with that one! But I would only shop for a S-Video switchbox. They usually have Composite inputs, as well, so you could use an older console with Composite output if you'd like. I don't think you should bother with a Component switchbox, as only your PS2 would use those cables.

The cable you saw for your Dreamcast on eBay would *NOT* work with your current TV. It is meant for RGB, not Component. But believe me, a S-Video cable for your Dreamcast would make a huge difference. You'll be able to tell as soon as you see those MvC2 credits 8-)

You probably don't have to spend this much on a switchbox, but here in a 5 input S-Video model, for reference:
https://www.parts-express.com/S-Video-Audio-and-Composite-Video-Selector-Switch-5-In-2-Out-180-938

Also, do you shop on AliExpress? They have SNES / N64 / GC S-Video cables for $3 a piece:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32258129811.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.67294da8t3TDpN&algo_pvid=02c415d0-b4c2-42d3-ba04-e72e2c803f15&algo_exp_id=02c415d0-b4c2-42d3-ba04-e72e2c803f15-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2250646653483%22%7D

If AliExpress isn't your speed, you can find plenty of options on eBay, as well. Just be sure to read seller feedback and buyer reviews to make sure it's a quality cable! You can get a great cable for cheap, but you can also get a bad cable for cheap. Just do your research and don't go with the first option you find. There's plenty of sellers out there who will have just what you'll need.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 16th, 2021, 8:52 pm

Thank you so much Matchstick, this is exactly what I need, down to the switch box!

I was thinking about asking for this set up for christmas, but other than the switchbox, all of those cords are super cheap, maybe I'll bite the bullet and get it sooner.

Thanks, I'll absolutely bypass the composite cords I'm finding for the other systems, S-video we shall go! (Other than the PS2 of course. I saw that on Amazon for 8 dollars. Talk about a deal, last I looked those were over 40 bucks, though that was many, many years ago now.)

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 16th, 2021, 8:55 pm

Cheers, mate. Glad to help. Let us know how it all works out for you!

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 16th, 2021, 9:07 pm

Will do, thanks again. I'll post pictures to the Game Room thread when I actually get it more presentable. My game room flooded this year (the water heater is in there and the bottom of it rusted out. It was a wreck.) and I'm just now rebuilding it. I got the new carpet in yesterday!

Once again, this was super helpful, thanks.

Return to “Video Games General”